Deadspin is dead

Just Jack

The sports blog that refused to play ball died Friday at the age of 14. Former Editor-in-Chief Megan Greenwell confirmed its passing on Twitter. Cause of death: Everyone quit in protest.

“And with that, it’s over,” Greenwell wrote. “Deadspin no longer employs a single writer or editor. I am gutted but so very proud of this group of people.

“Deadspin was a good website.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/deadspin-is-no-more-after-mass-staff-exodus-former-eic/

Edited by Just Jack
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big C said:

It was about time to call it on that series, I feel. But it was, for a time, one of the site's crowning achievements.

Yeah, it was boring this year, but other years were great 

• Like (+1) 1

Started out good. Got bad in a hurry around 2015-2016, like a lot of things. Portnoy is gloating on Twitter about it. He offered a former deadspin editor $100k a year to be his butler ?

• Haha (+1) 1

Good....when I first heard about Deadpsin I found it different and interesting. But over time, the more I read it the more I could definitely sense an overt one sided political slant. I can't remember exactly which article was the straw that broke the camel's back per se, but at that point over a year or so ago I made a conscious decision to no longer visit the site. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

Started out good. Got bad in a hurry around 2015-2016, like a lot of things. Portnoy is gloating on Twitter about it. He offered a former deadspin editor $100k a year to be his butler ?

The upper management should be fired directly into the sun specifically for giving Portnoy something to gloat about.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

They got very political and very anti-conservative. I had to stop reading it cause their articles turned from mostly sports to mostly liberal talking points

Agreed.  Im not even a conservative - I’m about as moderate/in the middle as it gets, but I am so sick of the constant bias of self righteous reporters at every turn lately. 

Deadspin turned into Buzzfeed sports. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was mistakenly under the impression that being “gutted” would hurt more than finding out 14 of your hypstyr journalist co-workers did not show up for work to protest a greedy hedge fund.  It sure looked painful in Braveheart, but then again Mel Gibson is a pretty good actor and I don’t have any hedge fund people in my neighborhood. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1