Draft to build one side of the ball/free agents to build the other

SJDK

8 hours ago, SJDK said:

I was listening to the NFL Network the other day and they mentioned this as a philosophy. What does everyone think about this? Personally, I’d say use free agents on offense because we have a young QB and draft for defense. What do you think and why?

Isn’t that what we’re doing?  How do you think it’s working out?

47 minutes ago, mannc said:

Isn’t that what we’re doing?  How do you think it’s working out?

I’m not sure. I think they were forced to sign so many FAs on offense because the talent on the roster was so inept it couldn’t be fixed any other way. Kudos to Beane for pulling an amazing patch job without blowing the cap. It certainly seems like this team is now positioned to be a lot more selective and go for a few top talents.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Augie said:

BPA. You need a blend of vets and youth, but EVERY situation is unique. Know that and act wisely. That goes for both sides of the ball, it’s a blend. The best blend you can create. 

You are exactly correct.  You need to match the availability of free agents and prospects available to you in the draft with the needs of the team.  It is crazy to think that a GM would blindly follow some arbitrary strategy to fill out a roster.  Every time I read some "gem" like this from a sports writer, it just reinforces for me that the vast majority of these writers are just journalism majors that are really clueless about their subject.  Augie, your post also reinforces for me the fact that I receive more relevant and useful information from the posters on this forum than from any other source. Thanks

• Like (+1) 1

...interesting but not sure how it can be that black and white depending on which side of the ball.......formidable O and D line talent annually in the draft.......understand the need for some experience to protect your QB though......like what Augie said about BPA for priority situation(s)......also not sure if McBeane would be willing to throw around crazy FA money for either side (calm down anti-Star crowd :thumbsup:)....

Beane has said what his philosophy is, use FA to set up the draft (so you aren't reaching for need). 

My impression is he also weighs the strengths of the draft class; for example, the 2019 class was strong at DT, and he didn't do much there other than re-sign J.Phillips.  It's my understanding that the 2020 WR class will be good, so we'll see.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’m not sure. I think they were forced to sign so many FAs on offense because the talent on the roster was so inept it couldn’t be fixed any other way. Kudos to Beane for pulling an amazing patch job without blowing the cap. It certainly seems like this team is now positioned to be a lot more selective and go for a few top talents.

I think you’re right.  The offense was in such bad shape last year that massive F/A signings was the only way to bring it up to middle of the road.  

I’m unhappy with the team’s history of ignoring offensive skill positions in the draft. In the past three years,  they’ve drafted one WR (ZayJones) and one RB before the sixth round.  In that same time, Pittsburgh, for example, with Antonio Brown already on the team, drafted three WRs:  Schuster (second), James Washington (third) and Deonte Jones (third).  

3 hours ago, TPS said:

Beane has said what his philosophy is, use FA to set up the draft (so you aren't reaching for need). 

My impression is he also weighs the strengths of the draft class; for example, the 2019 class was strong at DT, and he didn't do much there other than re-sign J.Phillips.  It's my understanding that the 2020 WR class will be good, so we'll see.

That's pretty much the way it is.  Of course you can't always be sure what is available in FA.

The last chance to fill a need is a trade.

16 hours ago, SJDK said:

I was listening to the NFL Network the other day and they mentioned this as a philosophy. What does everyone think about this? Personally, I’d say use free agents on offense because we have a young QB and draft for defense. What do you think and why?

Thats how i would do it and kinda how we did it. Could go for a stud RT though that spot has been a weakness forever. Nsekhe  has been ok and Ford has struggled.

5 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

You are exactly correct.  You need to match the availability of free agents and prospects available to you in the draft with the needs of the team.  It is crazy to think that a GM would blindly follow some arbitrary strategy to fill out a roster.  Every time I read some "gem" like this from a sports writer, it just reinforces for me that the vast majority of these writers are just journalism majors that are really clueless about their subject.  Augie, your post also reinforces for me the fact that I receive more relevant and useful information from the posters on this forum than from any other source. Thanks

I agree as well, I was shocked to hear anyone on NFL Network even say it. No way do I think it should be addressed as anything but situational.

9 hours ago, mannc said:

I think you’re right.  The offense was in such bad shape last year that massive F/A signings was the only way to bring it up to middle of the road.  

I’m unhappy with the team’s history of ignoring offensive skill positions in the draft. In the past three years,  they’ve drafted one WR (ZayJones) and one RB before the sixth round.  In that same time, Pittsburgh, for example, with Antonio Brown already on the team, drafted three WRs:  Schuster (second), James Washington (third) and Deonte Jones (third).  

I’m not upset by it. They decided to go D first and it payed off. I’ll also never rag on Line picks in the top three rounds. I’d rather have incompletions than an injured QB. That said, I think they’re going to start filling out the offense unless someone falls into their lap. Keep in mind that Pit has basically kept the same Oline together for years. They’ll have to restart the cycle soon just like GB has done. 

Beane is so full of it with not using the draft for needs. That's all he does is draft for need and waste picks moving up for guys.

Let me be clear again, I have no problem drafting for need. I think it's mostly insane not to unless a guy falls into your lap. Just trade down at least once to get an additional pick in the first 100.  Now every situation has a counter argument.  I would not have traded up for Hockenson but when Josh Allen, OLB made it past 3 I would have moved up for him. And he has not disappointed. Edge players can contribute immediately.  DTs take time.