Bill Callahan announces that Dwayne Haskins will make first NFL start Sunday vs Bills

YoloinOhio

I think this is the most comfortable I can remember feeling about a Bills win in quite some time. I am an Ohio state follower/ fan and watched Haskins every snap the year he played for the bucks.  Here are a couple observations ( also it is the worst time to be playing the Bills after that debacle last week, they will be focused on correcting things and they know they need to win these home games if they really believe the playoffs are possible ) ;

Haskins is a very accurate passer in a clean pocket. However, with people around him he rushes throws and I think he will continue to get rid of the ball early as he has done previously because he plays very “ soft”.  This guy doesn’t like contact at all. He was easily rattled after early pressures in games for the Bucks.  He had a good record because his receivers were very good and for the most part the bucks did keep pressure away from him. The Bills should not just let him sit back and only rush 4 playing conservatively because if given time he can make all the throws and that’s the scenario that he might be able to hurt us in. .  I hope they take a page from Beli chick and send guys often. They don’t have to sack him but just get close and his contact adverse nature will result in opportunities for 2-3 picks. 
Haskins is not a really fast guy and he doesn’t have great elusiveness.  They did run RPO ‘s at Ohio State with him but he was reticent to carry the ball. Finally close to the end of the year Urban had to emphasize he really needed more production running from Haskins and he had one productive game but quickly reverted back to avoiding running if possible. This is important for our d, as we won’t have to worry about Haskins taking off out  of the pocket like Wentz did to us.  I think this is even more reason to send blitzes more as even if we break gap integrity Haskins will pull up and throw even with clear space in front of him. I just doesn’t see him hurting us with his legs , so the bills DB’s do need to stick with their coverages if he manages to get outside of the pocket. I think this falls into our defensive scheme strength and is a great matchup for us this week. 
Haskins has one year at Ohio State and just that limited experience at a college level speaks to how unready I think he is for the pro level.  I really liked him at Ohio State but it was obvious he needed to stay at least one more year to help his development. It’s a shame he couldn’t see that and went for the money so soon. He does have a very good arm but he lacks emotional maturity just because he is so young and he was not perceived as a strong leader compared to JT Barret who had preceded him. He was used to playing with the the lead and he did not project the feeling that he would bring the team back from early deficits. I think he had one or two really close games that year and I think there was just one situation where he helped lead the team to a win after they got behind ( I admit this is my overall impression as my memory is a little stale and I didn’t feel like going back to check all the box scores, but I think I have this right ?) Let’s hope the Bills and Daboll can finally jump on a team and make them play from behind. We haven’t done that much this year, so like others have written it would be a huge red flag concerning their playoff hopes if the Bills struggle offensively once more and continue with pre snap penalties and terrible game awareness playcalling. 
The only way I see the skins staying close is if Josh continues his fumbling and falls into lapses of hanging  onto the ball Too long while standing flat footed in the Pocket in the face of unrecognized blitzing lbs or dbs. His pocket awareness needs to be good and if so I think he leads the Bills to an easy 24-7 victory. Let’s go Bills. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I have a new rule about betting. Don't bet on teams you have an emotional investment in. That means no Bills bets for me 

5 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I have a new rule about betting. Don't bet on teams you have an emotional investment in. That means no Bills bets for me 

I learn that lesson waaaay back when Jim was our QB 

• Like (+1) 1