Josh Gordon released off IR

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

No waivers, he is a UFA, free to sign anywhere except the Cheats for the rest of this season.

Negative - when a veteran player is waived after the trade deadline, he is subject to waivers

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Weird.  References I read say that with more than 4 years of service, IR players released with an injury settlement don't go through waivers, and are immediately able to sign with another team.  They cannot sign with the team that released them for the remainder of the season.

There's a missing conditional.  What you wrote is correct and applies up until the trade deadline.

After the traded deadline, it changes and waivers apply to all.

• Like (+1) 2

Once the waiver period starts each year through the trading deadline, a vested veteran — a player who has acquired four years of pension credit — is not subject to the waiver system if the club decides to release him. That means if a team decides to release a vested veteran, the league considers his contract to be terminated immediately and he is free to negotiate and sign with any other club. From the trading deadline through the end of the regular season, vested veterans are subject to the waiver process.

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/the-players/nfl-waiver-system-overview//

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so forgetting an OBD claim and he does clear, are you interested?............

yep still interested however to a point. Open Market would likely cost more than a waiver claim. And would be more than a this year thing so would open them up to more risk if he falls off the wagon again. 

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

Once the waiver period starts each year through the trading deadline, a vested veteran — a player who has acquired four years of pension credit — is not subject to the waiver system if the club decides to release him. That means if a team decides to release a vested veteran, the league considers his contract to be terminated immediately and he is free to negotiate and sign with any other club. From the trading deadline through the end of the regular season, vested veterans are subject to the waiver process.

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/the-players/nfl-waiver-system-overview//

....so if he clears HOUSE, what's your move?....sign or pass?............

Just now, MAJBobby said:

yep still interested however to a point. Open Market would likely cost more than a waiver claim. And would be more than a this year thing so would open them up to more risk if he falls off the wagon again. 

.....sorry bud, HARD pass for me....guy has more baggage than Delta handles in a YEAR.........

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

while this makes some sense it really doesn’t. Bad teams are not going to have a net loss of UFAs. And Gordon isn’t going to be signed to a long term lucrative deal. I smell another 1 or 2 year deal in his future. 

but yet I am sure you were banging the table for Rental AJ Green right?  So guess we don’t like improving our team. 

so tell me why was he let go?  Ooo wait the Injury. Hmmm he has been fighting a knee all season. He doesn’t fit in the offense Pats Run now they went back to the Horizontal offense. 

Wow, you are one condescending, snarky SOB. You don’t even know me so I’m not sure why you are jumping all over me with the attitude. Just because we disagree?

How do you know who I have pounded the table for? Ooo you don’t. 

Did the Pats go horizontal by choice or because personnel dictated? Because the deep threat was unavailable? The Pats will adapt to the talent they have. They have Moss, they go deep. They have Welker or Edelman, they go quick horizontal with pick plays. They have both they do both. 

They bailed on his talent. Because they thought he’d be available and help them out? 

But obviously we are going to just disagree so I’ll let you Oooo at somebody else now because you have me all figured out. After watching this team struggle for so long, I’m hoping they don’t add good players. Got me. 

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....so if he clears HOUSE, what's your move?....sign or pass?............

.....sorry bud, HARD pass for me....guy has more baggage than Delta handles in a YEAR.........

See the caveat there. I am interested to a point.  That is why I love the claiming. Would be Zero long term Risk. And I don’t think I would get that ability in the open market. 

I can then evaluate his play and attitude in offseason. 

gordon at this point I’m his career because of the baggage should never see more than a 2 year deal with protections 

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Negative - when a veteran player is waived after the trade deadline, he is subject to waivers

There's a missing conditional.  What you wrote is correct and applies up until the trade deadline.

After the traded deadline, it changes and waivers apply to all.

I stand corrected, O Hapless One.  :worthy:

Edited by Freddie's Dead

Just now, Bongo said:

Wow, you are one condescending, snarky SOB. You don’t even know me so I’m not sure why you are jumping all over me with the attitude. Just because we disagree?

How do you know who I have pounded the table for? Ooo you don’t. 

Did the Pats go horizontal by choice or because personnel dictated? Because the deep threat was unavailable? The Pats will adapt to the talent they have. They have Moss, they go deep. They have Welker or Edelman, they go quick horizontal with pick plays. They have both they do both. 

They bailed on his talent. Because they thought he’d be available and help them out? 

But obviously we are going to just disagree so I’ll let you Oooo at somebody else now because you have me all figured out. After watching this team struggle for so long, I’m hoping they don’t add good players. Got me. 

dorsett is a Burner still don’t go deep why?  Brady’s arm at this point in his career so they morphed that offense again. 

so did you want AJ Green in a trade yes or no?  And yes the reason I ask is because then you are giving up assets for that rental. Where here you are not. 

If Gordon is claimed by a team off waivers (which is highly likely), that team would take on the final nine weeks of his deal which is $1.072 million, per ESPN's Field Yates. Gordon would be a free agent after the season, so a team would have him for the remainder of this season and the exclusive negotiating rights before he hits free agency into March. If Gordon goes unclaimed, he can sign with any team. 

Teams will certainly be interested in Gordon, especially if they can make a playoff run with him on the roster. The Super Bowl contenders may not be able to claim Gordon, but a fringe playoff team could certainly entertain his services. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-to-release-josh-gordon-from-injured-reserve-which-would-send-receiver-to-waivers/

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

how much time does a team have to claim him, dont understand the process, does Washington have to wait for Miami to pass and so on?

As I understand it, all teams that are interested put in a claim.  The claims are prioritized according to this season's record and he is awarded to the claiming team with the worst record this season at 4 pm tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Josh Gordon living in Miami?  That might not work out well. 

I always imagined New Orleans' bourbon street would be a problem for some athletes

What is he on IR for? Just a formality?

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

Can you imagine how pissed off SM would be if Beane got him, especially after the remarks about bad decisions having been made by past management?  Think about that. I don’t think SM wants the guy. Could of course be wrong... 

Edited by Don Otreply

47 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

would you have wanted to trade for an Injured AJ Green?  Now Why should Gordon have produced in NE?  Because it is NE?  Notice how many WRs don’t produce for NE?

and Gordon does things Brown Doesn’t. Great Body control, physical WR play, amazing high point skills and back shoulder fades. Big catch radius 

No, I have been on record as saying AJ is on the wrong side of 30 and 2 years of injuries. Gordon used to have all the attributes you mention- key words used to. Some receivers have put up big numbers in NE- Moss, Edelman, etc...I think they expect an uptick in production with Sanu.

6 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Can you imagine how pissed off SM would be if Beane got him, especially after the remarks about bad decisions having been made by past management?  Think about that. I don’t think SM wants the guy. Could of course be wrong... 

Depends. Does he have good football character? Not sure.

Does he cost future assets? No.

Is it a bad contract? No.  

If he’s available, can still play, and the first one checks out I think he would be fine with it. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

No, I have been on record as saying AJ is on the wrong side of 30 and 2 years of injuries. Gordon used to have all the attributes you mention- key words used to. Some receivers have put up big numbers in NE- Moss, Edelman, etc...I think they expect an uptick in production with Sanu.

,,,agree about AJ and Gordon has had too many lives....hard pass on BOTH IMO............

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

,,,agree about AJ and Gordon has had too many lives....hard pass on BOTH IMO............

In their prime they were great and it is easy for us to hope for a return to glory, which rarely happens. One can argue Gordon is still in his prime but he hasn’t shown it since his time away from the game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan_34 said:

In their prime they were great and it is easy for us to hope for a return to glory, which rarely happens. One can argue Gordon is still in his prime but he hasn’t shown it since his time away from the game.

...is it fair to say that the difference in attitude towards the game, AJ vs Gordon is "night and day"?.....Gordon just can't seem to get his head screwed on......"Plexiglass" Buress, of course AB and Martavis Bryant come to mind......