Ed O A Pipe Dream or a Dream Team Position Change ?

T master

Ed Oliver is a starter as a very young rookie player. He is playing good enough where you don’t really notice him out there but he is getting some good pressures. 

1 year in a NFL strength/training program and another year of playbook and film study and I think Oliver will be a monster. 

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

In a 3-4 he would probably be a good DE. I would just make him gain weight. Obviously that’s more of a long term thing but for now, it would be more Star and J. Phillips for me and a lot less Ed Oliver. Can’t have the run defense be what it’s been.

It does seem like this team has the personnel to run a very solid 3-4 defensive in the right situations. 

I was vocal Bills should have traded up for Josh Allen when he made it past the Raiders. He has been great. I didn't want Oliver. After not getting Allen or Hockenson the best move was a trade down. I don't think Oliver is big enough for the NFL. Said it then and sticking to it.

He might be able to play a 3-4 DE from time to time, but McD never uses that formation. 

Even though I didn't want Oliver, he is playing ok for a rookie DT. The hopes of a 6-8 sack season  many on here predicted probably will not work out. But it will be 3 years before you really know if he is going to be a star, average,  or a bust.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Yes, Oliver seems undersized by current NFL standards and I worried about that the moment we drafted him.

Some guys can overcome that and their size doesn't matter in the final analysis.

I think it's too early to draw a conclusion about Oliver and his size being a problem.

It's not the size that matters as much as how you handle it.

21 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I don't think it would hurt if Oliver put more mass on his frame - maybe about 20 lbs, it he is going to stay a 3 tech DT.  If Oliver can't get off the Guard's block, he gets pushed out of the play.

the scouting dig on him before the draft was that he had trouble maintaining his weight to play in college

5 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I don't think this is true. He and Phillips could be great as a duo. Ed is so fast off the line and creates havoc that other players can exploit. A space eater probably won't benefit from that as much. This is kind of the same story with Shaq who can set the edge and collapse, but probably won't get the sack himself. The rotation isn't working that well imo. Teams exploit it when we get our 2nd or worse string guys out there.  I'm a sucker for the 2014 pin their ears back best 4 though. 

I don't disagree entirely, I'll amend my "space eater" statement to really any other productive DT. Could be either, a space eater or a penetrator, but we need an upgrade for sure. Harry has been playing well (Im not surer he's fits either mold really), but we still need additional help.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, H2o said:

It seems they are using Shaq more in a rotation with Hughes this year than Murphy. Idk why, but that's what I've noticed. I was joking about Ed playing DE though, just not a fan of Murphy. The guy hasn't really been much even when healthy this year and he doesn't show well against the run. 

Not at all. Trent was a blunder. We will probably have to start fresh next year at LE. Unless Johnson is going there.

8 hours ago, mannc said:

Kyle Williams, for one.  A fifth round pick.

We did have one of the worst team defensive rush rankings that year. Stats wise Oliver should be right up there with Kyle in his rookie year. I was talking more about people expecting pro bowl type season for DT which is not easy position to play.

Want to see how Oliver looks after a year in NFL conditioning program and getting coached up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Ed as a LB on running plays would be fun.

first sentence right on , next sentence not even. Jordan Phillips has been our best DL, Harry was also better.

Harry didnt play a snap, so based o  real games, no.  Jordan Phillips has been the most explosive, he also gets mauled off the ball by double teams because he gets upright too fast, so I'm not in agreement on that.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Freeney was a speed rusher freak. Ran like a Sammy Watkins 40 time. 

Also had tree trunk legs and could blow tackles straight up on the air, Oliver has no where near that base strength, yet at least.

On 10/31/2019 at 12:51 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

I don't think it would hurt if Oliver put more mass on his frame - maybe about 20 lbs, it he is going to stay a 3 tech DT.  If Oliver can't get off the Guard's block, he gets pushed out of the play.

Agreed, Ed is only 21.

I fully expect him to bulk up more with a season or 2 of NFL level weight training and diet.

Give him a couple years and I expect us Bills fans will be very happy with our dominant interior DL.

We need to add a DOMINANT Edge, our 4 man pass rush leaves a lot to be desired.

2 hours ago, wppete said:

Ed Oliver will be an elite DT in the league very soon. Give him some time to figure it out. Hopefully by playoffs he will be flying around. 

...then again, PATIENCE is hardly a virtue around these parts......hell the guy has had SEVEN games to show his stuff....that is a "TBD Eternity"....SMH..............

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...then again, PATIENCE is hardly a virtue around these parts......hell the guy has had SEVEN games to show his stuff....that is a "TBD Eternity"....SMH..............

Oliver has exceeded the expectation quotient. You must show your stuff no later than 3 games! lol!

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Harry didnt play a snap, so based o  real games, no.  Jordan Phillips has been the most explosive, he also gets mauled off the ball by double teams because he gets upright too fast, so I'm not in agreement on that.

Also had tree trunk legs and could blow tackles straight up on the air, Oliver has no where near that base strength, yet at least.

didnt play a snap?? The hell are talking about?? Harry played plenty before his injury.