What "type" of fan are you? Coming clean

All In.  Win, lose or draw.  Fan since OJ was drafted.  Was a packer fan before that because the first nfl game I ever watched was the Ice Bowl.  If the Bills ever moved to a different city, I would revert back to a Packers fan. 

For the Bills to be competitive in every game they play and of course, a Super bowl win.

Edited by mabden

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I watch because I love the game. Most weeks during the season I watch at least the 40 minute condensed version of 10 or more games. I support the Bills for a long-winded reason relating to my Polish grandfather and a chance meeting in a shop in Poland that led to a family friendship with a Bills fan and when I started watching the sport they were obviously going to be my team.

I wondered how this happened.  You're also self-taught about the game if I recall?

Been a fan since the end of OJ and Ferguson. I left WNY for 20 years and followed them almost the entire time (save when I was deployed). 

I no longer allow a loss to own me. Frustrated? Sure, but also always look at the big picture (read: 5-2 right now...that’s good regardless of last weeks outcome). 

Watching and reading about the Bills is something I love to do and I am, and have always been, a Bills fan through and through. 

I'm the type of Bills fan who has always been a Bills fan, for as long as I can remember.  So a loyal Bills fan, and I plan to stay that way.  I'm not sure I could learn to like any other team.  Sure, I have a soft spot in my heart for teams that beat the Cheats, but they're not the Bills.

So being a loyal fan since the early 1980s, living through the great early 1990s teams, I'm also a frustrated fan...like many on here.  I'm doing my best to put up with this "Process" crap, and I hope it works.  It better work.

A thoughtful fan, a fan with deep and meaningful spirit, displayed in only an appropriate fashion,  yeah, that’s it..., now what the hell was he doing before I was so rudely interrupted???

As a kid I would pick favorite teams based on uniform colors. First, I liked the orange and black of Cincinnati, until the 49ers ruined my day by beating them in the Super Bowl. Then, I thought the Raiders were cool...until Buffalo destroyed them 51-3 in the '91 AFC Championship game. Been on the Bills wagon since then. Couldn't watch Norwood's attempt live. Half my family erupted in joy when he kicked it because they thought he made it...then I looked over to where my dad, grandpa, and uncles were watching the game and saw a flurry of random objects go flying, accompanied by some real colorful language, finally capped off with my one uncle, a Jets fan, passing out tissues. 

I enjoy the game overall and after Bills games on Sundays, I'll leave the foosball on all the way through the end of the Sunday night game. I tune in for Thursday night games but they're usually background noise. Obviously, I'm more invested in Bills games because I care if they win or lose. I used to get all worked up and yell at the TV but that never helps anything. I always try to temper my expectations while remaining optimistic. Usually, as the next season gets underway (scouting combine, free agency, draft, etc.) I'll feel like, "Eh, I dunno about this year, I think they have a ways to go yet." But as the season draws closer, I usually end up thinking, "Hey, they really played well in that pre-season game, maybe they have a shot!"

Losses are tough, especially when it's a team you really felt like they should've beat. But mostly, I just like to watch the game on my own and not get too up or down during the course of events. 

I do believe this current regime is the most stable they've had in years. They clearly have a long-term vision and they will not commit knee-jerk reactions and panic at the first sign of adversity. I saw so many comments before the trade deadline that just said, "Get a player!" So, trade just to trade? That's not what they're about. I'm interested in seeing what direction they go in the off-season in terms of free agency and the draft. 

It's fun to log on here and discuss the team with other fans. At times, the unyielding scrutiny becomes a bit much and I just have to laugh because sometimes people will be picking apart things that are just part of the game. "Did you see that 19 yard run the opponent had?! That's just unacceptable! That's Star Lotulelei's fault, and Tremaine Edmunds too! He's just not that good an athlete *stuffs KFC into face for the 7th time this afternoon* nomnomnomschlopschlop, and I know, I played! Yeah, I did! I woulda been all-time, too, but, you know, my pinky toe, devastating injury!" I say it's a bit much because people will really try to nitpick even the most mundane of things. Like, the other team is gonna make plays too. I have a tough time watching games with people who get nuts on every play. "OHMYGAWSH tackle him, get him!!! Oh geez, this is awful," just gets old to hear after every three yard gain by the opponent. And I'll give credit where it's due. If the other team just makes a good play then hats off to them. Not always someone's fault. There are times when a QB just puts it in a perfect spot and the WR makes a crazy catch while the DB is providing excellent coverage. Stuff happens. 

Whoa... this got away from me quick. Sorry 'bout that. Anyway, yeah, I'm an optimistic but honest fan and just wanna see these guys put it all together and make a deep playoff run and hopefully bring home a Lombardi before I croak. I figure I got a good 50+ years left so hopefully they can get it done at some point in that time frame. Go Bills. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1

I support the current Bills 100% and am very, very happy with the 5-2 record. :thumbsup:

However, I will NOT support proven, extended failures like Ralph, Whaley, or Brandon and I fart in the general direction of those that do.:thumbdown:

I’m the kind of fan (55 years and counting) who sometimes wonders what I would actually do if the Bills ever did win it all. My entire life has spent rooting for a team that’s never gotten over the hump. I sure hope it won’t be as anti-climactic as I fear it will be.

Go Bills

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm a fan who likes winning and can't understand those who complain when they do.

You used to complain all the time when we won with Tyrod. 

And I used to be an angry homer.  I got mad at anyone who ever said anything not positive about the Bills.  Years of losing killed that. I love the Bills the same but I’m just not irrationally going to defend every move they make because I’m a fan.  I’m more show me the baby but nothing would make me happier to have a great team again even if I was proven wrong about something I said. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Rico said:

However, I will NOT support proven, extended failures like Ralph, Whaley, or Brandon and I fart in the general direction of those that do.:thumbdown:

Yeah, we know, you don't like Whaley.  You let everyone know on pretty much a daily basis.  Never miss an opportunity to s**t on Whaley...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I will not have another team . For 28 years now since I was 15 I am and will remain a Bills Fan. I have been through some good. Mostly bad but still I ride with them. They have pissed me off and frustrated me to the point of not wanting to watch football ever again. Still I come back every week. I used to let it ruin my day when they were so inept that it was embarrassing being a Bills fan. Still I ride them them. These days I watch with passion but I have learned to temper it because until proven otherwise they are in the bottom of the league. Today a glimmer of hope that I or probably even you as fans feel is different. A feeling that this team is finally starting to do things the right way under this front office. That they are building something. Still I sit on Sunday and hope. We may be on the right path now finally and if we Win a championship it will be that much sweeter. Suffering through all of the bullshyt will be worth it and If it doesn't happen I will still go into my depends wearing years a Bills fan.

I am too a Bills fan from day one. My dad & brothers play football before me and I learned the game as a young kid watching the Cowboys, Steelers, & Bears every Sunday, as that was all the football we used to get back in the late ´80 in Mexico. I picked the Bills as they were playing one of these teams (I want say Dallas but not sure) and loved the uniform and they came on top that day. I don´t know how I didn´t become a Steelers fan as I remember having a Steelers helmet brought by Santa and my childhood football team we wore Steelers-like uniforms.  

I played all the way from Jr pewee to college ball (in Mexico), and became obsessed with the game. Now days I coach flag football.

I am a nerd (not expert) about Draft and all the process leading to it, that is how I survive form February to May without pro football. I like rank the top prospects and how they match with the Bills needs. I put my own Draft board and love to play GM for the Bills. However, I don´t get too high or too low if the team goes in a different direction that I wanted. I confess I didn´t like the Allen pick at the beginning, I wanted Watson or Mahomes (in that order) the year before.    

Once the Draft class is completed, I submerge myself in every bit of information I can find about our picks and sometimes in our rivals picks.

I play fantasy football and pools, but I do not lose any sleep over it.

I learned to like a 54-51 ala KC vs LAR last year’s game as well as a 14 – 10 defensive battle, I used to be like you, I wanted the big scoring games and all but I appreciate a good defense now.

Of course I want Allen to have the big numbers along with a 1,000 yards WR and 1,000 yards RB, but the Process and Culture to create a long time winner is important, more important than getting a Superstar for only a year or less. Breaking the drought was important to get the monkey off our backs but I want them to build a winner.  

I am with you regarding Allen, I think he can be a franchise QB but it is going to take time, more than a couple of years, the question is if the FO/Ownership will give him enough time. I think he has played well at times and he has had his rookie moments, but I would give him 4 years, let him play out his rookie contract and by the time the Bills need to decide to take his the 5th year option then decide.

I started learning about football during the Rob Johnson, Vs. Doug Flutie years. I remember getting excited when the bills took the lead over the Tennesee Titans in 1999, "knowing" that the bills just broke a 4 year drought of not winning a playoff game. In the seasons that followed, I would go to about 1 game a year, until 2007, when I became a season ticket holder. While I haven't been to every game since, I have been to about 80 or the last 100 regular season home games.

I really don't follow the draft unless we are in the market for a QB, WR, or RB. I know the trenches are most important. If we are in the market for linemen, I'm usually learning about that player the day of the draft.

I love fantasy football, and I even sometimes play players on my team, that are playing against the bills if I think it makes sense. That being said, I'm not the guy in the stands cheering because my fantasy player scored a touchdown against the Bills. I will never do that, and think anybody that does, should rip their bills jersey off. My fantasy teams, and I'm in multiple leagues, are consolation prizes in case the bills are having a down year. If the bills win, my fantasy teams can lose for all I care.