RIP 11 Foot 8 Bridge

7 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I agree that for this bridge the approach from the intersection is pretty short. I still think some sort of warning a few feet farther from the bridge would be possible.  

In Syracuse on the Onondaga Lake Parkway there is plenty of room for a warning device, and I’ve never understood why they don’t do something. For example, hang vertical lengths of chains that might scratch your vehicle but it won’t be as catastrophic as hitting the bridge.  

So the 12 or so signs before the bridge is not enough? 

5 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

So the 12 or so signs before the bridge is not enough? 

Apparently not. 

Just like you, I’ve been there, and I’m familiar with the area. I worked near there for over 20 years. 

As you know, for some reason there are accidents there more often than there should be.

That Megabus crash was really awful. It just makes me think there should be some way to do something more, but I don’t know what that would be. 

6 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Apparently not. 

Just like you, I’ve been there, and I’m familiar with the area. I worked near there for over 20 years. 

As you know, for some reason there are accidents there more often than there should be.

That Megabus crash was really awful. It just makes me think there should be some way to do something more, but I don’t know what that would be. 

They did put in that laser warning system with the electronic signs. But that does not help when the driver does not speak/read English like the latest one. 

• Like (+1) 1

When I moved from LA to Long Island I was driving a U-Haul dragging a Citroen DS on a trailer behind. I'm not admitting to be driving under the influence at the time, but let's just say I have NO idea how I ended up on a 'No Trucks or Commercial Vehicles" parkway. It didn't even register until I saw the first overpass. I can't remember the exact height, but  it was an inch or so higher than my vehicle. The overpass was lower on the two ends, and higher in the middle, so I figured "the height listed must be the lowest possible", so I moved between the two lanes and hit the middle and just held my breath. I had one or two more to go before I got the hell off that parkway.

58 minutes ago, The Dean said:

When I moved from LA to Long Island I was driving a U-Haul dragging a Citroen DS on a trailer behind. I'm not admitting to be driving under the influence at the time, but let's just say I have NO idea how I ended up on a 'No Trucks or Commercial Vehicles" parkway. It didn't even register until I saw the first overpass. I can't remember the exact height, but  it was an inch or so higher than my vehicle. The overpass was lower on the two ends, and higher in the middle, so I figured "the height listed must be the lowest possible", so I moved between the two lanes and hit the middle and just held my breath. I had one or two more to go before I got the hell off that parkway.

You wouldn't have been the first to hit one of Robert Moses' bridges, it's not that uncommon. I've seen the roof of a semi-trailer peeled back like a tin of sardines. This one was pretty bad:

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/southern-state-bus-crash-victims-1.17949678

Supposedly they're putting  height sensors on some of the on ramps:

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-installation-over-height-vehicle-detectors-prevent-bridge-strikes-long 

57 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

You wouldn't have been the first to hit one of Robert Moses' bridges, it's not that uncommon. I've seen the roof of a semi-trailer peeled back like a tin of sardines. This one was pretty bad:

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/southern-state-bus-crash-victims-1.17949678

Supposedly they're putting  height sensors on some of the on ramps:

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-installation-over-height-vehicle-detectors-prevent-bridge-strikes-long 

I saw stories like that after that incident. I'm thinking "what a clueless moron", then remembering I was one of those morons. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Dean said:

Fond memories of the Merritt Parkway in CT where every so often you’d come across a truck carefully backing his way down the shoulder to the previous exit.  ?

• 10 months later...