RIP 11 Foot 8 Bridge

Niagara Street at Tonawanda St. and the Scajaquada off ramp, there’s a Buffalo railroad overpass that catches trucks every now and again.  There’s also Austin St.,  and some low ones in the Bailey Ave. / William St. area.

A coworker had also been a transport driver, he explained that a lot of these bridge / truck accidents were by drivers blindly following navigation programs and devices that were configured for cars.  The commercial versions that factor in transport trucks are not used due to excess cost.  Then again, a professional driver should be looking for signage on the route being taken.  Understandable (but not excusable) for the U-Haul or Ryder renter that slips up.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Been under that one with a train going over it.  Talk about a "right there" feeling hearing and seeing a couple of locomotives ramble along.

That’s the bridge where 4 Megabus passengers died after the driver got lost heading NYC to Toronto in 2012.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I’ve never understood why they can’t hang something that will give way that is the same height as the bridge about 50 feet ahead of the bridge so that people will be warned

Even with that, they need that last second line of defense to protect the bridge.  Also, with the intersection right there, that advanced warning marker doesn't work for anyone who turns there.  Can you really put up something on those streets too that would be hit even by the trucks that have no intention of turning?

21 minutes ago, shrader said:

Even with that, they need that last second line of defense to protect the bridge.  Also, with the intersection right there, that advanced warning marker doesn't work for anyone who turns there.  Can you really put up something on those streets too that would be hit even by the trucks that have no intention of turning?

I agree that for this bridge the approach from the intersection is pretty short. I still think some sort of warning a few feet farther from the bridge would be possible.  

In Syracuse on the Onondaga Lake Parkway there is plenty of room for a warning device, and I’ve never understood why they don’t do something. For example, hang vertical lengths of chains that might scratch your vehicle but it won’t be as catastrophic as hitting the bridge.  

like blaring alarms and airhorns and flashing lights and tons of signs...oh wait, onondaga lake parkway has all of that and drivers still ignore them

38 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I agree that for this bridge the approach from the intersection is pretty short. I still think some sort of warning a few feet farther from the bridge would be possible.  

In Syracuse on the Onondaga Lake Parkway there is plenty of room for a warning device, and I’ve never understood why they don’t do something. For example, hang vertical lengths of chains that might scratch your vehicle but it won’t be as catastrophic as hitting the bridge.  

• Like (+1) 1

The Rosler  Street bridge near where we he 190 meets the 90Has been close for monthsv has been close for months    It’s over the Thruway so it’s nice and high but an idiot drove under it with the truck bed up and damaged it. 

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

What I've learned here today is as a financial planner it is not just my job to make sure people retire with plenty of money but to also make sure they identify what meaningful things they will do during their retirement.  

Somehow, I think there’s an insult lurking in that somewhere...?

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

What I've learned here today is as a financial planner it is not just my job to make sure people retire with plenty of money but to also make sure they identify what meaningful things they will do during their retirement.  

Well, if you're going to insist on maintaining an incredibly outdated investment plan rather than rebuilding it to be useful in the modern age...