WGR-550 Dust-up Today: Schopp vs. Capaccio!

Nextmanup

I really don’t think they like eachother very much. Last year there was a time where I was listening and you could tell Sal just had enough. Schopp constantly makes very questionable statements and goes off them as if they are factual but never gets called out. Bulldog just lets him be and Sal wasn’t having it. I love it. Schopp and Jeremy are the 2 worst anywhere and I love when their bull#### gets called out

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Don't need to listen. Mike is undeniably more intelligent, well spoken, and professional than Sal because Sal is a homer posing as a journalist, which is why everyone here loves him. He's the fans' confirmation bias. He beats the drum for the team, is rarely if ever critical, and is basically a fan with a microphone. Schopp is not. Schopp has the ability and willingness to be critical, Sal would rather bury his nose as deep as possible into the jockstrap of any player who would offer up a handshake. The way you can tell the difference is Sal is dying to be friends with the players, calling them by their first name rather than taking the professional reporter approach to referring to subjects by their last name or by their title. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, zonabb said:

Don't need to listen. Mike is undeniably more intelligent, well spoken, and professional than Sal because Sal is a homer posing as a journalist, which is why everyone here loves him. He's the fans' confirmation bias. He beats the drum for the team, is rarely if ever critical, and is basically a fan with a microphone. Schopp is not. Schopp has the ability and willingness to be critical, Sal would rather bury his nose as deep as possible into the jockstrap of any player who would offer up a handshake. The way you can tell the difference is Sal is dying to be friends with the players, calling them by their first name rather than taking the professional reporter approach to referring to subjects by their last name or by their title. 

image.jpeg.18e10593dae777e1119bcf453a441080.jpeg????

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Thank you.   Can’t wait to hear this.  I remember when Mike and Sal got into it over culture and tanking.  Sal was pretty passionate and then Mike kept apologizing.  LOL

OP said they NEVER get into it.  I would love to hear this.  Any idea when that was?

28 minutes ago, zonabb said:

Hi Mike, can you provide examples on the bolded above?

Edit:  I didn't think so.

Edited by Johnnycage46
  • Like (+1) 1

Schopp has openly admitted his favorite sport is baseball. I assume because of analytics. It’s probably why he leans so heavily on them when it comes to football.

I don’t mind him most of the time and feel he makes valid points. If you call in with a stupid take then he’s going to call you out and likely make you look stupid. It’s actually entertaining when you have so many idiots calling in.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, zonabb said:

Thank you. There is some sanity left on this board after all. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Schopp has openly admitted his favorite sport is baseball. I assume because of analytics. It’s probably why he leans so heavily on them when it comes to football.

I don’t mind him most of the time and feel he makes valid points. If you call in with a stupid take then he’s going to call you out and likely make you look stupid. It’s actually entertaining when you have so many idiots calling in.

Sure, but he also has a problem with people who call in with a different opinion than he has, when neither has been proven right or wrong. Buffalo is a small market, so this amateur still has a job. 

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Didn't seem heated at all. 

I get what Schopp is saying. Beane and McDermott talk about the previous regimes as if they have won something. They haven't won anything yet and maybe they should ease up on bashing previous regimes until they have at least one meaningful accomplishment. A healthy salary cap isn't an accomplishment. You don't hang banners or get rings for most salary cap space.

Not sure how unused cap space became a key performance metric for some to indicate success.  The Bills have 26.7M left in 2019 and 90M in 2020.  They're also the second oldest team in the NFL next to New England.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Schopp is correct though about McBeane.  Buffalo is 20-20 (including playoffs) the new regime took over in 2017, having been outscored by 157 points over that time.  Not anything to hang your hat on.  

13 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Not sure how unused cap space became a key performance metric for some to indicate success.  The Bills have 26.7M left in 2019 and 90M in 2020.  They're also the second oldest team in the NFL next to New England.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Schopp is correct though about McBeane.  Buffalo is 20-20 (including playoffs) the new regime took over in 2017, having been outscored by 157 points over that time.  Not anything to hang your hat on.  

Yeah, you would expect your record to be better when you are starting over. Oh, wait......

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, thebug said:

Yeah, you would expect your record to be better when you are starting over. Oh, wait......

If McBeane were any good, they'd have snapped their fingers and won a Super Bowl by now.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, thebug said:

Sure, but he also has a problem with people who call in with a different opinion than he has, when neither has been proven right or wrong. Buffalo is a small market, so this amateur still has a job. 

I don’t think he has a problem with it at all. He actually encourages it. He’s stated many times that people calling in just to agree with him makes for boring radio. I think he likes a logical debate but far too often the callers provide less than that. He can be a royal prick though.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

It is curious how people get so offended and/or angry about this guy’s opinions. 

As a Floridian, I listen via interweb because it’s the only Bills/Sabres talk shows during the day. I’m offended AND angry for sports fans from my beloved WNY. They’re the Only thing you have and it’s just so goddam bad. It’s like a daily competition from show to show to see who can be most amateur, unenlightened and unlistenable. Yet, they act like they’re Top 5 nationwide and absolute authorities on sports.. Sal & Schelp are just 2 of the dummies masquerading as sports announcers.

It’s just so embarrassing. I bleed for you all.?

• Like (+1) 1

The clown who "burst" onto the Buffalo sports radio scene circa 2000 with a "sports talk for smart people" schtick on what was it....107.7 or something......Meant as a clear dig at the Coach's show (and his listeners) which he was competing with, at the time the 3pm show on WGR. 

That guy got triggered by a little McD bravado in taking a subtle jab at regime's past for spending recklessly?   What a joke this pompous fool is.  

You're being trolled everyday by a miserable human that hates football that hates how wrong he was about Rosen that hates how successful this regime has been at "rebuilding" (we're good....were on the path to great....made the playoffs in the first year so...improvement is there especially compared to future Hall of Famers Baker that's a stupid question Mayfield and Sam Darnold).....and it riles him up to hear talk of culture, and family, and team as reasons why.  He scoffs at that stuff because you can't quantify it in a database somewhere. 

And McD clearly hates him so that ticks him off even more.  

Miserable miserable human.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Dopp is an idiot, unfortunately i listen to mr mensa  on my way to work and he made it sound like McDermott was smug and elitists but when you watch the video nothing could be be further from the truth. 

The impression i got about responsibly is not to blow a ton of picks on a pipe dream. 

Didn't hear the Sal section but Dopp is always contrarian and eventually will contradict himself over time.

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Let's not turn this into a Mike Schopp bash thread.

We've had enough of those.

I'd appreciate it if comments are limited in scope, more or less, to the linked exchange.

good luck with that ,once you mention Dopp its all over.

• Like (+1) 2