WGR-550 Dust-up Today: Schopp vs. Capaccio!

Nextmanup

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I thought you'd get into specifics on the team's players you like vs the guys we'll hypothetically sign because we have a bunch of cap space.

I see little elite talent and it's always a challenge for us to bring top free agents here. Tre White is awesome. No one else is even remotely elite. We have good players and few holes, but there are hardly any difference makers on this roster and our offense is still really bad. 

The cap situation is all helpful, but as Schopp is saying, none of it means anything in the grand scheme of things unless you win, go deep in the playoffs and compete for titles.

As he said, there are no awards given to the team with the best cap situation.

Got it. Winning 10-11 games and heading into the offseason with 90mil and valuable playoff experience is no better than where we’ve been. 

..... good talk. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/31/2019 at 7:44 AM, Aireskoi said:

Die?  Like 20 years of not reaching post season?  This team was dead and McD has given it a pulse.

3 years for a coach is how loser teams keep losing...That's the recipe for never winning.

McD hasn’t done anything special here yet. There were some 9 win teams in those 20 years that missed the playoffs, McD just got lucky that the cards fell the right way in his 9 win season as opposed to Marrone or Mularkey who both missed with the same record.

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Got it. Winning 10-11 games and heading into the offseason with 90mil and valuable playoff experience is no better than where we’ve been. 

..... good talk. 

I think we've benefited dramatically from our schedule. 

When the schedule gets harder next year and we play the AFC West and NFC West (the best division in football) plus likely the Steelers and either Colts/Texans, this team is going to have to improve by leaps and bounds. 

Maybe they'll sign better players in the offseason. I just know the current roster isn't good enough to compete with the top teams in the NFL, which is why Schopp is saying they haven't accomplished anything yet and is skeptical that's going to happen.

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

He's not developing fast enough. He's the 28th ranked QB in the NFL despite playing one of the easiest schedules in the league.

QBs typically don't improve much after their second year starting. Generally what you see in their second year playing is what you get long term.

Can you name any QBs from the last 15 years who took a big jump after playing two years? All I can think of is Eli Manning and maybe Matt Stafford. I can't think of anyone else. 

Dak.  It took 4.  And an elite WR and RB to get him there.  

Ben threw....wait for it.....23 INTs in year THREE and had a 75 rating.  

So are Baker and Darnold no good?  Is Rosen done? 

And a lot of guys that flashed in year 1 or 2 or 3 (or all of them) faded.  

I don't know.  I guess if he only has a QB rating of 85 at the end of the year and only one or two 300 yard passing games we go back to the franchise QB store and buy another one.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I think we've benefited dramatically from our schedule. 

When the schedule gets harder next year and we play the AFC West and NFC West (the best division in football) plus likely the Steelers and either Colts/Texans, this team is going to have to improve by leaps and bounds. 

Maybe they'll sign better players in the offseason. I just know the current roster isn't good enough to compete with the top teams in the NFL, which is why Schopp is saying they haven't accomplished anything yet and is skeptical that's going to happen.

Maybe we worry about next year and the off season like in the off season.  Not in the middle of a 5-2 season soon to be 6-2.  

They hate Allen.  Said avoid him like the plague.  So they would rather be right then perhaps grace our airwaves with more talk about I don't know....maybe we got something here.  

But they have NEVER done that with him.  And likely never will.  

The fact that those clowns slobber all over the Sabres after the EXACT SAME start as last year before they've even played 15 games.....odd how they don't cover that team with the same skepticism.  

They favored the tank....so they're just dying for that team to be good.  Great game tonight boys. Maybe Jeremy should think twice the next time he wants to tweet "I think the Sabres are good."  They are wrong about literally everything on that station.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Maybe we worry about next year and the off season like in the off season.  Not in the middle of a 5-2 season soon to be 6-2.  

They hate Allen.  Said avoid him like the plague.  So they would rather be right then perhaps grace our airwaves with more talk about I don't know....maybe we got something here.  

But they have NEVER done that with him.  And likely never will.  

The fact that those clowns slobber all over the Sabres after the EXACT SAME start as last year before they've even played 15 games.....odd how they don't cover that team with the same skepticism.  

They favored the tank....so they're just dying for that team to be good.  Great game tonight boys. Maybe Jeremy should think twice the next time he wants to tweet "I think the Sabres are good."  They are wrong about literally everything on that station.  

We get it, you and most Bills fans only look at the box scores for the Sabres. They have played really well compared to last seasons team. 

As far as Allen goes he needs to be much better. He's still one of the worst passers in the league. If was even average they wouldn't have had to come back against the teams they did. You like most Bills homers will defend your QB til the cows come home. Can't say anything negative about him. 

On 10/31/2019 at 5:12 AM, Protocal69 said:

Just asking but when did Schopp ever mention that he was in MENSA. That would explain ALOT about him regarding his smug attitude.  My biggest gripe with him was the way he acts like he is a elitist and the negative way he way he treats most callers.    

I heard him and BD talking about MENSA one day and how Schopp could be a member or was a member. It was a long time ago so I'm a little fuzzy about the gist of the conversation.

2 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

We get it, you and most Bills fans only look at the box scores for the Sabres. They have played really well compared to last seasons team. 

As far as Allen goes he needs to be much better. He's still one of the worst passers in the league. If was even average they wouldn't have had to come back against the teams they did. You like most Bills homers will defend your QB til the cows come home. Can't say anything negative about him. 

Thanks Jeremy! 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

McD hasn’t done anything special here yet. There were some 9 win teams in those 20 years that missed the playoffs, McD just got lucky that the cards fell the right way in his 9 win season as opposed to Marrone or Mularkey who both missed with the same record.

I agree that he has not done anything special, and I don't believe anyone is saying that.

How many years would 9 wins have been enough, but the coaches were not "lucky" with the cards?

You can call it luck, others could say McD is the right man at the right time. 

Maybe he's just a lucky guy? ?

9 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

We don't mind that you say something negative about him, we just prefer that it actually have some rational, intelligent, objective thought behind it...

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

We don't mind that you say something negative about him, we just prefer that it actually have some rational, intelligent, objective thought behind it...

Have you read any of jrb’s stuff before?  Good luck.

Edited by teef
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

I heard him and BD talking about MENSA one day and how Schopp could be a member or was a member. It was a long time ago so I'm a little fuzzy about the gist of the conversation.

Oh ok. Just wondering. If he is in MENSA I see it is not helping his fantasy lineups

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/31/2019 at 4:02 AM, Seven-N-Nine said:

I can't say I am a fan of his attitude, but Schopp has been right more than wrong the last ~17 years. Can't say that about most Bills fans.

By your very own negative correlation, you must be either: 

a) Wrong more often than right (and a Bills fan).

or

b) Not a Bills fan (and right more often that you're wrong).

Pick which, and let us know. We're all ears.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Irv said:

No.  Because I said so.  

I guess we can close this thread.

54 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

By your very own negative correlation, you must be either: 

a) Wrong more often than right (and a Bills fan).

or

b) Not a Bills fan (and right more often that you're wrong).

Pick which, and let us know. We're all ears.

I'm a Bills fan who has been right more than wrong over the last ~15 years, like Schopp has been.  It sucks that the Bills have been a bad team for that long, poor ownership who has a hard time hiring good FO personnel and coaches, but that's what we're stuck with.

Shoop doesnt believe this Team is any better than the last regime's team and I tend to agree. Scheduling has this team on a past to 11 to 12 wins. So if they are TRULY better one of those number should be reached. They never spend the cap savings anyway.

19 hours ago, Mellow1 said:

Shoop doesnt believe this Team is any better than the last regime's team and I tend to agree. Scheduling has this team on a past to 11 to 12 wins. So if they are TRULY better one of those number should be reached. They never spend the cap savings anyway.

We could go undefeated for 20 years and there would still be downers like this.  You must be a ball at funerals.