WGR-550 Dust-up Today: Schopp vs. Capaccio!

Nextmanup

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

And the best of all time has no playing experience at all.  The view that says you must be a former athlete to comment on sports is grossly misplaced.

I agree.  My reason for pointing that out was to show that another user's comment that (paraphrasing) "former-player coaches don't last long" was incorrect.

the shyt om Schopp stuff is getting tiresome ... funny how many people hate him but feel the need to talk about him.  He's pretty bright, and he often has different takes on sport than the average jock sniffer.  Can he be a prick to callers?  Have you LISTENED to most of these callers????  I used to be a big Sal guy, but I sense the "shill-itis" is starting to take hold once he started taking a paycheck from OBD

16 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Didn't seem heated at all. 

I get what Schopp is saying. Beane and McDermott talk about the previous regimes as if they have won something. They haven't won anything yet and maybe they should ease up on bashing previous regimes until they have at least one meaningful accomplishment. A healthy salary cap isn't an accomplishment. You don't hang banners or get rings for most salary cap space.

I didn't listen, but if that is what Schoop said, I completely agree.

36 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I meant define a lot of listeners. I'm sure he makes a good living.

I have no clue, I don't pay any attention to ratings and have never looked into it. Maybe it's not like it once was due to XM radio, but I am assuming boatloads of ppl listen to that show on the way home from work.  But I have no concept of what "lots" of people would mean in the context of a tally.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I can’t fathom how anyone thinks this organization isn’t in a better place than before.  Young QB, young talent, all our draft picks and a ton of cap space..  We’re actually positioned to be a contender, finally. 

The highlighted was the argument in a nutshell. There should be some proof of this before they start taking victory laps. 

Edited by CBD

McBeane will always have "we broke the playoff drought"

All the "yeah buts" in the world won't change that. You can "explain" why that doesn't mean ________ but nobody cares. I could "explain" how NE winning the Super Bowl last year was was due to a coin flip in the AFC Title game and a KC player lining up Offside when Brady threw the game ending pick.

Again, nobody cares. 6 rings. 

Football is a crazy sport. Rex was probably a horrible PI call in London from being the guy to break the drought (they went 8-8 that year) and he would probably still be here today. 

But he didn't and he isn't. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

I have no clue, I don't pay any attention to ratings and have never looked into it. Maybe it's not like it once was due to XM radio, but I am assuming boatloads of ppl listen to that show on the way home from work.  But I have no concept of what "lots" of people would mean in the context of a tally.

ratings.jpg

This shows "market shares" in the Buffalo market. I have to assume the actual number of people listening is in the tens of thousands. As you can see WGR is off by almost half since last fall, normally WGR's strongest season with the Bills and all. (Maybe winning produces less angry callers?)

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

ratings.jpg

This shows "market shares" in the Buffalo market. I have to assume the actual number of people listening is in the tens of thousands. As you can see WGR is off by almost half since last fall, normally WGR's strongest season with the Bills and all. (Maybe winning produces less angry callers?)

Wow.  Cordell and Cordell aren’t going to like that.  Neither will Franco’s Pizza.

Schopp is such an ass and always talks out of both sides of his mouth...it wasn't the first time him and Sal got into it...i remember listening a few years ago live when him and Sal were literally screaming at the top of their lungs at each other for about 10 minutes...Lapdog of course just sat there and spectated...

23 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Didn't seem heated at all. 

I get what Schopp is saying. Beane and McDermott talk about the previous regimes as if they have won something. They haven't won anything yet and maybe they should ease up on bashing previous regimes until they have at least one meaningful accomplishment. A healthy salary cap isn't an accomplishment. You don't hang banners or get rings for most salary cap space.

I don't like Schopp in general but I like his point. Beane and McDermott do talk like they have won something already which they haven't. Win something meaningful, like a single frickin game against the Pats that isn't an end of season player resting game or some games at home against good competition. 11-5 should have been a given with this schedule, but Beane's incompetence in signing "value" versus talent nd McDermott's penchant for being outcoached and blown out by good teams gets us 2-3 less wins per year IMO. 

Sal is competent but says the obvious comment to me 100% of the time, which is what I expect for a radio guy in a small market city. This isn't sports illustrated or a national show they are on people.

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

No he didn't.  Sal looked pretty stupid, because he is.  

They are total polar opposites and Mike is much brighter than Sal.  They never would have sat at the same lunch table in a high school cafeteria, and Sal routinely voices opinions that go completely against Mike's views of sports.  Usually, Mike restrains himself and treats Sal with respect as a colleague, giving him much more respect than Mike would give a caller who voices the same opinion as Sal.  

This time it was different, which is why it stood out to me and I posted it here.

Of course.  Mike is very complimentary of good callers making good points that are backed up by data or logic, regardless if they agree with Mike's point of view or not.  He routinely will say "That's how it's done!" after a good phone call.  The callers he beats up on are the ones who come across as the dumbest person you know.  And that makes up a lot of their callers.  I agree, Mike can come across as an opinionated jerk; that's part of his personality .

He's still the only on-air personality at that radio station worth listening to, IMO.

And the best of all time has no playing experience at all.  The view that says you must be a former athlete to comment on sports is grossly misplaced.

LOL.  Yes, that is exactly it.  Mike really triggers dumb people.  I have found the lesser the intelligence, the greater the hated of S Schopp.  

This can be distilled into Nextmanup's Law: intelligence and hatred of Schopp vary inversely.  

Are you sure about that?  His point was that luck factors into wins and losses whereas point differential is a much more detailed analysis that involves a much broader sample size.  We beat the Jets by 1 point.  If a few small little bits of luck went differently, we would have lost.  Does the "W"  we got the day truly mean we were the better team?  

There is so much more to it than wins and losses, or point differential.  Strength of schedule is huge, luck is huge, etc. etc.  Mike's point is that it is actually difficult to draw a conclusion about "quality of team" as that is quite an amorphous thing to quantify.  

You comments about Schopp are fairly accurate and fair.  The one thing he misses the mark on, for me, is the way in which he totally divorces psychology from athletic performance on a field.  I think it plays a huge role in the outcome of games; in Mike's world, it doesn't exist.  That's because he's a huge GAMBLER and routinely obsesses over number crunching and game theory mathematics.  He lives in a numbers world, which is funny as he is a professional broadcaster who probably never took an advanced statistics course in his life, or any sort of complex game theory mathematics course.  

Yes, he did crush Sal.  Straight up, Sal is not bright enough to win a debate with Mike.

Contrary to what others have said in this thread, the fact that Sal fancies himself as some sort of former athlete and ex high school football assistant coach has nothing to do with that.

Here is what folks at this board don't get.  When Mike and Sal engage in debate, they are not competing on a football field, nor are they competing over pure "football knowledge".  

They are competing on the field of ideas, and Sal is sorely out of place there.

A few weeks ago when Sal went after Howard Simon because Simon predicted a Bills loss to New England, I got really annoyed with Sal.  Sal kept saying "It sounds like you are settling for the loss.  I guess I am too competitive to do that."

And it was like "Sal, what the hell are you talking about, you idiot?"  Howard isn't on the team or coaching staff.  He's not a part of the Bills organization.  He's commenting on what he perceives to be the likely outcome of the game.  That has absolutely nothing to do with the concept of "settling."

Sal didn't get that.  He doesn't get a lot of things.

Sal is a Bills' homer.

Schopp is not.

Schopp looks at things objectively, almost to a fault as someone who has covered the same team for so long, but his thoughts are usually spot on. He's forward thinking and understands where the game is and should be going. He's aware of analytics, gets the math and understands when coaches make correct and (often) incorrect decisions. 

Sal is a guy who understands the game in a traditional sense, but his opinions are flawed because he wants to always give the Bills the benefit of the doubt. 

Schopp is spot on here. The Bills are no better now than they have been over the past 10 years. They have hardly any elite talent or difference makers, a coach who I assume Schopp thinks is probably too conservative, and a GM who he views as being completely reckless with draft picks by having traded so many away. 

Schopp is focusing on the state of the team, and Sal is projecting the state of the franchise (which is definitely improved over 4+ years ago) and has convinced himself that the Bills are great because their front office has their house in order and has managed the cap well. Unfortunately for Sal it ultimately comes down to wins and championships, and despite making the playoffs these coaches and front office haven't really accomplished anything. 

In 2-3 years, Sal might be right and the improved state of the franchise might have begun to impact the results of the team, but Schopp is right that it's not there yet. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

Sal is a Bills' homer.

Schopp is not.

Schopp looks at things objectively, almost to a fault as someone who has covered the same team for so long, but his thoughts are usually spot on. He's forward thinking and understands where the game is and should be going. He's aware of analytics, gets the math and understands when coaches make correct and (often) incorrect decisions. 

Sal is a guy who understands the game in a traditional sense, but his opinions are flawed because he wants to always give the Bills the benefit of the doubt. 

Schopp is spot on here. The Bills are no better now than they have been over the past 10 years. They have hardly any elite talent or difference makers, a coach who I assume Schopp thinks is probably too conservative, and a GM who he views as being completely reckless with draft picks by having traded so many away. 

Schopp is focusing on the state of the team, and Sal is projecting the state of the franchise (which is definitely improved over 4+ years ago) and has convinced himself that the Bills are great because their front office has their house in order and has managed the cap well. Unfortunately for Sal it ultimately comes down to wins and championships, and despite making the playoffs these coaches and front office haven't really accomplished anything. 

In 2-3 years, Sal might be right and the improved state of the franchise might have begun to impact the results of the team, but Schopp is right that it's not there yet. 

Schopp's position can never be wrong when evaluating the Bills offense and Allen tho.  That's why he's hunkered down and doubled down on his negative opinions of Josh's game. 

Criticizing and blaming the QB is the easiest thing in the world to do.  Because one of two things would have to happen for tools like him to ever waver from that is 1. Allen starts putting up Mahomes like numbers or 2. Wins a super bowl.

Neither of those 2 is likely and the latter if it does in all probability (and I'm sure his analytical brain understands this) won't happen for some time if at all.  He could win playoff games sure ....even then.  "But is he really good enough!!??"

He could have a Goff like trajectory.  And be where Goff is at right now.  And I one hundred percent guarantee you he will be on air telling you the QB (in this case Goff) isn't good enough.  

Even Kelly had critics his whole career that would say through the SB years that "maybe Reich would be better."   They were not anything close to even a loud minority but they were there.  

So get used to it folks.  He's no contrarian.  He's no savant.  He's a bitter troll.  "The QB isn't good enough" can be said about 24 of the 32 teams.  I don't agree with it....but it could be said.  What's to ever prove you wrong?  He'll just wait for that SB that odds are unfortunately may not happen and trash McD and Beane for daring to even get a little brash.  K Mike.  Thanks.  

Shut him off and wait for his replacement.  

And Howard is coming dangerously close to it to.  I'll listen to the morning guys and on and on this week about the O being a bigger problem than the D.  Wow!  That's a hot take right there Howard!  You guys ever going to assess what you think about Allen long term.....you know the question you asked all freaking off season.

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yeah, he’s articulate. But he’s a shill, so his whole act is a con.

not sure what you mean here. I think its pretty obvious he loves his job and the Bills, he left Florida to get this gig, you dont do that for a con.

15 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Most of WGR staff is Wilkes Barre level talent at best.

.....no offense to Wilkes Barre.    

Never heard of him.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian