WGR-550 Dust-up Today: Schopp vs. Capaccio!

Nextmanup

10 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Let's not turn this into a Mike Schopp bash thread.

We've had enough of those.

I'd appreciate it if comments are limited in scope, more or less, to the linked exchange.

Sorry I can not think of a single good thing to say about Schopp , if you can then please by all means share it with us , And after listening to that exchange with Sal is the reason why I don’t listen to WGR550 between 

2:00 pm - 6:00 pm Central Time !!! 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Losing games, losing the locker room, losing your job. McDermott is a preacher of culture, if the results are not there, the followers will start questioning their belief's. This is why to McDermott, it is so important to get process guys, it takes them longer to lose faith, they don't question the preacher, etc. Culture in lieu of talent = losing IMO.

So he has to win games to keep his job, how is that different than any other coach?  

So far the results are 1 playoff appearance out of 2 tries.  

...but but the point differential and stats, so fail...right?

Edit:

My mind is kinda blown that after 20 years of no post season there are fans that want this Superbowl to happen so fast.  There is a process of winning in place that has not been here.  I'm enjoying the build, and I feel sorry for those that can't.

Edited by Aireskoi
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Aireskoi said:

My mind is kinda blown that after 20 years of no post season there are fans that want this Superbowl to happen so fast.

I'm sorry but the days of grooming a QB for 5 years are long gone.  FO's and coaching staff's get 3 years. QB's drafted in the first round get 2-3 MAX.  Adapt or die.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

I'm sorry but the days of grooming a QB for 5 years are long gone.  FO's and coaching staff's get 3 years. QB's drafted in the first round get 2-3 MAX.  Adapt or die.

Die?  Like 20 years of not reaching post season?  This team was dead and McD has given it a pulse.

3 years for a coach is how loser teams keep losing...That's the recipe for never winning.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

I normally defend Mike just for the fact it’s entertaining and I can turn he dial. However, he actually said point differential is more important than wins. That is just insane

point differential is ONLY important in a Tie Breaking scenario 

1 hour ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Losing games, losing the locker room, losing your job. McDermott is a preacher of culture, if the results are not there, the followers will start questioning their belief's. This is why to McDermott, it is so important to get process guys, it takes them longer to lose faith, they don't question the preacher, etc. Culture in lieu of talent = losing IMO.

Holy cow, what a take. 

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

There obviously is some tension between. McDermott and Schopp.  If you remember, last year he basically hung up on Schopp.  Mike was off-air the next two segments, obviously talking to someone - either McDermott, Derek Boyko or someone from the station.  

This season, McDermott chose not to do his regular interview segment with Schopp.  Instead he speaks to Howard and Jeremy on Friday.  

I have always thought that this was pretty telling.

Well yeah, Schopp is an #######!  Why would you want to talk to the douche?

19 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

I normally defend Mike just for the fact it’s entertaining and I can turn he dial. However, he actually said point differential is more important than wins. That is just insane

He was saying that because of the varying schedules, you have to look past just wins and losses. Some years you have an easy schedule, some years you have a hard schedule.  That is why you look to point differential.  

That part was okay, but what annoyed me is he didn't appreciate the phase of development.  The team he was comparing us to was the year we had Orton and that really good defense.  That was THE finished product, their was no where else to go.  This years team has a second year developmental quarterback, who is continually improving, mind you. It is much earlier in the process than the Orton team.  

1 hour ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Intelligent people are more apt to learn and excel at anything, that's the main point. Rock head ex-football players who get jobs like coaching or color analyst usually flame out or are seriously bad at their jobs, there are so many examples of both. Now, I imagine playing at some point in your life would have helped develop the passion and could lead one in that direction, however I don't think it is a mandatory prerequisite to success (like it seems many fans mistakenly believe, "if you've never played organized sports you have no clue" caveman mentality).

you come of as a pompous holier than thou type of jerk.  I'm not surprised you agree with that idiot on WGR

Is there in Bills country a more negative person than Mike Schopp? Or self righteous? Mike Franseca or Jim Rome he is not. Those 2 have National respect. Mike has small, tiny respect from those who are like him in real life. I rarely listen to Schopp and the Bulldog because I find Mike to be so distasteful.

• Like (+1) 1

I do like Mike Schopp most of the time, but he was ridiculous in this segment. Sal knew he was talking crazy, and really called him out on it.

I really disagree that trading up in drafts is wrong all the time. Especially if you can do it without trading away next year's 1st round pick.

Didn’t think it was very contentious. Just 2 guys having a lively discussion with differing opinions. I actually like Schopp’s point of “have some humility until you’ve accomplished something.” But also agree with Sal that the organization is better run. The verdict is still out on what type of results they’ll get. 

• Like (+1) 2

Whaley assembled the most talented team the bills had in years. Ownership never valued his opinion and hired Rex who everyone could agree was a complete disaster. However that blunder could have turn into the biggest win in bills history had ownership rewarded the person that actually did their job. Whaley clearly wanted Watson or Mahomes. He never believed in Tyrod. Imagine if we had drafted one of these two. Those Whaley teams was just a quarterback and a decent coach away from contending. McDermott has proven to be a decent coach\great defensive coordinator. At least he was smart to get the power that ownership never gave Doug. In the end its all about wins and losses. But maybe we end up like the Bengals and Marvin Lewis. We shall see.

10 hours ago, thebug said:

Every single team to make the playoffs (that was on the bubble) also had help from other players and teams during the season. That’s a bizarre take. 

It was a fluke. Bills might have been the 21st or 22nd best team in the NFL in 2017.

Banners and parades and rings don’t happen with wild cards. I’m talking championships.

Seeing a banner in New Era with “2017 IN THE PLAYOFFS FOR A COUPLE SECONDS THANKS TO BENGALS CONVERTING 4TH AND 20 FOR A TOUCHDOWN AGAINST RAVENS” would be a little weird.

38 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

point differential is ONLY important in a Tie Breaking scenario 

Point differential is a good predictor of how good a team actually is. Of course there are many other variables, but to ignore it is back to "hoping" the team is good, which is totally useless.