A.J. Green to Bengals: 'Long-term deal or let me go'

Warcodered

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The trade market during the season is not exactly red-hot for an injured guy who hasn't played a down of football and is only under contract for another 8 games.

The number of people (on TBD) begging Beane to pull the trigger boggles me mind.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The number of people (on TBD) begging Beane to pull the trigger boggles me mind.

Indeed.  I was duly boggled.

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

He’ll play the final 2 games of the year to improve his FA status 

I don't think 2 games played with a QB he's never taken a throw from when he's not in game shape, is likely to (nor should) change his value as a FA.

I mean, 2 games?  Srsly?  vs an average of 80 yds and 5-6 receptions/game for 8 years?

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Indeed.  I was duly boggled.

I don't think 2 games played with a QB he's never taken a throw from when he's not in game shape, is likely to (nor should) change his value as a FA.

I mean, 2 games?  Srsly?  vs an average of 80 yds and 5-6 receptions/game for 8 years?

He'll be able to show teams that he is healthy and still be best WR on team. Did you not think a rookie QB won't make him his #1 target

23 minutes ago, the skycap said:

He'll be able to show teams that he is healthy and still be best WR on team. Did you not think a rookie QB won't make him his #1 target

I think a rookie QB would love to make Green his #1 target.  I also think...

- timing with QB won't be established and route running might be rusty

- he won't be in "game shape"

- he risks reinjury

I don't see the clear advantage to Green in playing.  Teams can work him out in the off season and decide if they want to sign him.  His agent can arrange a workout film they put out there if he likes. 

It's at best a risk vs reward decision for Green and his camp.  He really should have nothing to show in <8 games he hasn't shown in 8 seasons.

I find it amazing that many of the same posters that remind us that football is a business, and defend the teams and say how teams treat players and what they do to them is just good business. But if a player looks out for his own health and wealth, it is no longer about good business, he is being selfish and a bad guy and is a bad risk.  If it is okay for a team to treat player decisions as just business, it is also okay to treat a player's decisions as just business. AJ is a great talent, a great player, has been a good teammate, and has not  been a bad influence on a team. The process works both ways. I see no reason the Bills should not kick the tires on him in FA if he works out for the teams and proves he is 100 % healthy and healed in the off season.

Edited by simpleman
  • Like (+1) 2

If there is swelling, I can't blame him if he shuts it down for a little longer. If he's doing this just to preserve himself for next year, ok. If the latter is the case, coming back for 2-3 games doesn't prove you're going to be dependable next year. I really don't want us to give him the long term deal he wants next off season I've said this from the time the rumors began before the trade deadline.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2860001-aj-green-trade-rumors-bengals-tell-teams-they-wont-deal-wr-at-2019-deadline

“Granted, it's possible that the Bengals are trying to ramp up the price for Green by playing hard to get, though Green's injury history and looming free agency may limit any incoming offers. The seven-time Pro Bowler missed six games in 2016, seven games last season and every game thus far this season for the Bengals

20 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Antonio Brown should not be mentioned in the same breath as AJ Green for character.  That guy has been a gamer, he's never said a word, good teammate.

The Ramsey "ow ow my back" only worked before the trade deadline.  Trade deadline done gone by.

AJ already said he didn't want the franchise tag.  There's more at stake than just a trade.

I don’t think he’ll be a big target for the Bills. Unless he comes in at the right price. 

He seems like a “process” type of guy, but I think they’ll want to go after a #1 for Allen in the draft. This is the year to do it. And they have a bit of ammo to move up if they like anyone in particular (I think it’ll be between Shenault & Higgins in the 1st)

Beane hasn't shied away from signing injury prone players... so I think that aspect wouldn't scare them away from signing Green as a free agent.  Morse, Kroft, Brown, Kevin Johnson, EJ Gaines, and Trent Murphy are the ones that come to mind.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills inquiring about his situation after the season

• Like (+1) 1