Baker being Baker

Pokebball

4 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I think Baker would've thrived here if we drafted him. Cleveland is a poorly run organization that just can't get right regardless of talent, and they have a lot of it. Josh, Darnold and Jackson would have floundered if drafted by the Browns. In the words of Bruce Hornsby, That's just the way it is, somethings will never change.

I tend to disagree......yes Baker is a decent QB, very accurate but his problems seem to be of the attitude/character type - stuff that transcends an organization. You put a bad seed somewhere, he will be a bad seed anywhere

44 minutes ago, BuffaninATL said:

I tend to disagree......yes Baker is a decent QB, very accurate but his problems seem to be of the attitude/character type - stuff that transcends an organization. You put a bad seed somewhere, he will be a bad seed anywhere

The problems for Baker have been two fold.  Organizationally the Browns have been a mess, including front office and coaching.  The jury is out on the latest reboot.  Secondly, he coasted last offseason and it showed.  He’s admitted as much.  The Browns do not inspire confidence, but they appear to have a good HC hire in Stefanski and to be aligned as an org for a change.  Lots has to go right, but Baker has the ability to be an elite QB.

3 hours ago, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

Interesting, you are hung up on the Bills loss to the Browns in a season where the Bills went at 10-6 (first time in 20 years) and went to the playoffs. 

Losing to the Browns shouldn’t have been much of a shock.  That defense is built to play man and bring pressure.  Bad coaching led to them playing a lot of zone throughout the year, but they sure didn’t against the Bills. Allen has played very well against zone but struggled against man (especially with extra pressure as is often the case) so it makes a lot of sense that things went the way they did.  Sometimes the problem with a game is the match up. 

3 hours ago, BuffaninATL said:

True, but he and a 1st year softy coach like Kitchens was a recipe for disaster. They should've stuck with Williams.  I don't believe McBeane ever would have drafted Baker but if he was an inherited QB from a previous regime I think McDermott would have straightened him out or ran him out. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

True, but he and a 1st year softy coach like Kitchens was a recipe for disaster. They should've stuck with Williams.  I don't believe McBeane ever would have drafted Baker but if he was an inherited QB from a previous regime I think McDermott would have straightened him out or ran him out. 

...sure as hell were enough rabid rants around these parts as far as him being THE pick......mea culpas forthcoming?.......

20 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Losing to the Browns shouldn’t have been much of a shock.  That defense is built to play man and bring pressure.  Bad coaching led to them playing a lot of zone throughout the year, but they sure didn’t against the Bills. Allen has played very well against zone but struggled against man (especially with extra pressure as is often the case) so it makes a lot of sense that things went the way they did.  Sometimes the problem with a game is the match up. 

The Browns game IMO was an example of Daboll relying too much upon the X's and O's over the Jimmies and Joes. 

What I mean is that Daboll designed a game plan that relied too much upon the QB to beat the pressure and back the Browns off to enable the run game with his arm.  It was probably the best theoretical solution.  But in practice, with a still-developing QB who struggles under pressure and good, but not elite, receivers who struggle against physical man coverage, it didn't work.  I think there were other solutions - but just as with the Eagles and the Ravens, Daboll didn't really have a good fall-back plan ready on the back burner, for whatever reason.

So yeah, really, it was a game that we should have won.

On 2/9/2020 at 9:27 PM, SirAndrew said:

I can’t believe how many of these dudes get married so young, like Mayfield at 24. That just seems really dumb for these young rich guys, I’ll never understand it. 

I mean maybe they are in love!  But as some posters who are shocked that a pro athlete cheated on a hot wife, imagine being 24 and having a millions of dollars.  You have to work to turn down females.  And most of those females could care less if you’re married.  I think love is awesome but I can’t imagine how difficult it must be to stay faithful with all that temptation.  

and I think this whole season might be the best thing for his career.  He needed to be humbled.  Getting humbled early in your career makes you grow up.  If was any other team besides the cursed Browns, I’d bet on them rebounding in a big way next year. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Browns game IMO was an example of Daboll relying too much upon the X's and O's over the Jimmies and Joes. 

What I mean is that Daboll designed a game plan that relied too much upon the QB to beat the pressure and back the Browns off to enable the run game with his arm.  It was probably the best theoretical solution.  But in practice, with a still-developing QB who struggles under pressure and good, but not elite, receivers who struggle against physical man coverage, it didn't work.  I think there were other solutions - but just as with the Eagles and the Ravens, Daboll didn't really have a good fall-back plan ready on the back burner, for whatever reason.

So yeah, really, it was a game that we should have won.

I’d have like to have seen some draws.  IIRC the screens weren’t working.  But other than that, exactly what should’ve been done?  Run plays into the the stacked box?  At some point when a defense is taking away the running game and daring you to beat their man coverage you’re going to have to do it.  This wasn’t on Daboll.  He put the Bills in a position to win that game, but they didn’t execute.  That’s on the players.  Allen had been in the NFL for a season and a half and the Browns weren’t playing some complex defensive scheme.  They weren't even hiding their coverage.

Daboll trusted Allen and I credit him for that.  Allen just didn’t rise to the occasion.  Of course Daboll could’ve gone with a strategy with a much lower chance of working, but what message would that send to the team?  Just two possibilities - either he doesn’t know what he’s doing or he doesn’t have confidence in his QB.  Ultimately it may have helped Allen, so maybe look at it as some necessary experience for him.  That’s because Allen performed a lot better against Houston (at least up until his fumble) When he saw a lot of a very similar scheme.

Cam Newton was Allen’s best comparison when he came into the league.  One BR writer said it was the closest QB comp he ever saw. Well guess which NFL QB sees the most man coverage, by a good margin?  Newton.  Allen will see a ton of it too so he’s going to have to learn how to beat it.  The good news is that it looks like he is. 

On 2/9/2020 at 7:38 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

When these young stars gonna realize you cant hoe around when married and not think one of these girls isn't gonna try and get paid off it or air your dirty laundry out to be funny or spiteful. 

Cant fix stupid.

Right - Don't get married or date someone seriously if that's the life you want to live.  Not even a yankee fan, but Jeter never really had any issues like this... because what was the worst thing you could say?  I slept with jeter, and he'd be like... i dunno - probably?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean maybe they are in love!  But as some posters who are shocked that a pro athlete cheated on a hot wife, imagine being 24 and having a millions of dollars.  You have to work to turn down females.  And most of those females could care less if you’re married.  I think love is awesome but I can’t imagine how difficult it must be to stay faithful with all that temptation.  

and I think this whole season might be the best thing for his career.  He needed to be humbled.  Getting humbled early in your career makes you grow up.  If was any other team besides the cursed Browns, I’d bet on them rebounding in a big way next year. 

True story...even as something as simple as a DJ in a club I saw it first hand...didn't matter if you had a GF or even if she was at the club with you standing 5 feet away.  They still tried to get at you.  Now if that happens to a club DJ imagine what happen to a world famous athlete?

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So I wondered why Cheesecake Factory was trending in Ohio on Twitter... clicked on it...

Ummm I’m sorry but the pics ?. I didn’t click on the interview (yet)

https://www.roverradio.com/2020/02/11/woman-claims-affair-with-married-browns-qb-baker-mayfield-full-interview/

Talk about going to any lengths to secure a sponsorship deal.