Baker being Baker

Pokebball

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Cowherd is going for the jugular.  I am not a fan of Cowherd but I love this battle.

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2019-12-03-colin-cowherd-baker-mayfields-nfl-future-is-as-a-backup-quarterback/

and yet he's ranked above Josh in both QBR and DVOA - so what does that mean for Josh?

12 minutes ago, Say When... said:

and yet he's ranked above Josh in both QBR and DVOA - so what does that mean for Josh?

That fantasy football is not reality, and while the glorification and reliance on advanced statistics might make you a buck on Fanduel, it really means nothing in the real world. Record and total touchdowns matter, and Josh is manhandling Baker on both accounts this year.

Ah dammit saw your new post - you caught one.

Edited by Nelius

1 hour ago, Say When... said:

Baker has less TDs, more INTs, lower quarterback rating, very slightly lower completion %, and is nowhere near as good as a runner as Josh.  The only thing Baker is better in than Josh is a few hundred more passing yards and that is mostly a product of attempts because their avg yards per attempt are 0.1 apart.  It tells me that DVOA and QBR are biased crap.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Say When... said:

The direction each QB is heading currently is significantly different.  Baker came out hot and is faltering whereas Josh seems to be on a course of continued improvement.

Edited by Pokebball

I like Baker but I hope the relative disappointment of this season (I still think they finish 8-8 which is technically an improvement on their season) humbles him a bit. He has always had that swagger and confidence that has propelled his underdog story but he has to have some semblance of humility to realize that he was never going to fake it until he made it in the NFL and that he needed room for a lot of growth. I hope he learns the difference between confidence and cockiness. 

I still think that Baker will be a successful QB (How successful remains to be seen) and that the Browns can take that next step next season (They still have plenty of cap space and a full assortment of draft picks to supplement a young core.) But only if Kithcens, Baker, and the rest of their primary players/leadership could learn from the season, or else they will struggle to get to even 10 wins despite their talent. Sure they could easily add a piece or two to both the O-line and defense and be ready to compete talent wise. But they will not get far if they don't learn from this season and if Kitchen can't be a real leader. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I like Baker but I hope the relative disappointment of this season (I still think they finish 8-8 which is technically an improvement on their season) humbles him a bit. He has always had that swagger and confidence that has propelled his underdog story but he has to have some semblance of humility to realize that he was never going to fake it until he made it in the NFL and that he needed room for a lot of growth. I hope he learns the difference between confidence and cockiness. 

I still think that Baker will be a successful QB (How successful remains to be seen) and that the Browns can take that next step next season (They still have plenty of cap space and a full assortment of draft picks to supplement a young core.) But only if Kithcens, Baker, and the rest of their primary players/leadership could learn from the season, or else they will struggle to get to even 10 wins despite their talent. Sure they could easily add a piece or two to both the O-line and defense and be ready to compete talent wise. But they will not get far if they don't learn from this season and if Kitchen can't be a real leader. 

Agree.  Baker is going to be a gr8 QB in the NFL for his talent and work ethic.  They need a better coach overall their to build this team.   There is a thin line that shows you are backing your team vs mocking everyone else.   You do the later, the team will start losing faith in you.  That is Cleveland for you now.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/browns-baker-mayfield-declares-he-wont-work-with-throwing-coach-in-offseason-195337203.html

Baker Mayfield declares he won't work with throwing coach in offseason

Ignore the Tom Brady crap up top 

“I already know what exactly I need to work on and improve going forward,” Mayfield said via the Akron Beacon-Journal. “That is the exciting thing about it, it is always a continual process of getting better and improving.”