Do you think the Bills are doomed to repeat 2008, 2011?

njbuff

4 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Lol, doomed ? Of course not. The 2008 and 2011 teams have zero to do with this one. The coaching on those teams wasn’t as good, and the 2011 team had less talent. The ‘08 squad was quarterbacked by Trent Edwards. The Bills schedule remaining schedule is not difficult. They’ve lost to the teams an outside observer would expect them to lose to. They’re a decent to good team in a very mediocre AFC. While not a championship caliber roster yet, they can make the playoffs and possibly even a wildcard depending on the opponent. 

This is exactly what they are. I hoped (and I think McDermott did too) that they were a straight up good team. After last week they are an above average team in a bad conference.

I don't think this team is any different really, they lack offensive explosiveness, they can't stop the run, still can't get pressure on QB's, it's like watching the same team over and over again for decades. McDermott is just as arrogant as previous coaches, maybe moreso, and as usual will be the downfall.  The "I know best" mentality is strong with this coach, unfortunately he gets blown out a lot and has only beaten 2 good teams his entire coaching career.

7-9 worst case, 9-7 best case.

27 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

I don't think this team is any different really, they lack offensive explosiveness, they can't stop the run, still can't get pressure on QB's, it's like watching the same team over and over again for decades. McDermott is just as arrogant as previous coaches, maybe moreso, and as usual will be the downfall.  The "I know best" mentality is strong with this coach, unfortunately he gets blown out a lot and has only beaten 2 good teams his entire coaching career.

7-9 worst case, 9-7 best case.

They've been terrible against the run for their last two games.

In their first five games, they shut down Bell, Barkley, Mixon, the entire NE offense and Henry. 

But please ... let's forget about those first 5 games so your narrative (crusade) is protected.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

They've been terrible against the run for their last two games.

In their first five games, they shut down Bell, Barkley, Mixon, the entire NE offense and Henry. 

But please ... let's forget about those first 5 games so your narrative (crusade) is protected.

Five games, only one good team, which they lost to.

12 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Coaching is not "much stronger" than Chan Gailey in 2011; it is better than Dick Jauron in 2008.

A monkey with a learning disability would provide better coaching than Dick Jauron.

Do not think we are doomed to repeat however.

One of the better sentences in the history of TSW.

Thank you.

7 hours ago, leonbus23 said:

When we were 5-2 in 2011, we had a an easy schedule for rest of the season and ended 6-10.

So, hopefully we continue to beat the easy teams this year. 

It’s the NFL, you never know....

They could go 5-11 or 14-2 which of course there is a 99 % chance that neither is going to happen 

magic number  I say 10-6 second place in division wild card 

the next 4 games we will probably go 3-1 dropping a game ( Either Cleveland or perhaps a trap again against Miami ) 

Baltimore / Dallas we gonna win one of those not sure which one 

last 3 we drop one against the Patriots because they are cheaters and against the Steelers ?? Not sure we might win might not win and of course the NY Jets at home could be an important game or we could already be in the playoff and this game would be meaningless 

First round of the playoffs in the wild cards we get a W 

Divisional round we might hit a W ??? 

If we make it to the AFC Championship that is gonna be a loss especially if we face the Patriots but miracles can happen you never know 

Edited by Cygnus99

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think the Bills need to go 4-0 in the next 4 games or at absolute worst 3-1 or we aren’t making the playoffs. And I think that there’s a pretty good chance we don’t go 4-0. If the run defense gets fixed this week then we might be ok. If not, we are done.

I wouldn’t have demanded the Kelly Era Bills win the next four in a row

it’s the bloody NFL....

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think the Bills need to go 4-0 in the next 4 games or at absolute worst 3-1 or we aren’t making the playoffs. And I think that there’s a pretty good chance we don’t go 4-0. If the run defense gets fixed this week then we might be ok. If not, we are done.

Last week was bad but Philly despite the record is a good team. They were desperate. Did Bell run all over the Bills week 1? After the first drive of the Giants game the Bills kept Barkley in check. The D will be tested this week as the Skins will want to run the ball with AP but I think the Bills D gets back on track. 24-10 Bills. 6-2 and onto Cleveland.

13 hours ago, leonbus23 said:

When we were 5-2 in 2011, we had a an easy schedule for rest of the season and ended 6-10.

So, hopefully we continue to beat the easy teams this year. 

Including 13-3 NE, 8-8 NYJ (x2), 8-8 DAL, 9-7 TEN, 8-8 SD, and 8-8 DEN. Also 5 of the 9 games were on the road. So no it was not an easy schedule. 

12 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Lol, doomed ? Of course not. The 2008 and 2011 teams have zero to do with this one. The coaching on those teams wasn’t as good, and the 2011 team had less talent. The ‘08 squad was quarterbacked by Trent Edwards. The Bills schedule remaining schedule is not difficult. They’ve lost to the teams an outside observer would expect them to lose to. They’re a decent to good team in a very mediocre AFC. While not a championship caliber roster yet, they can make the playoffs and possibly even win a wildcard game depending on the opponent. 

Here is what I find funny. You say anything negative about this team and the response from many is that your an idiot this team is 5-2 so be quiet. But when we talk about prior 5-2 teams people can say those teams sucked or Trent Edwards sucked, the coaching sucked, etc. But they were 5-2...does that mean you can be 5-2 and still have a coach that may not be that good or a QB that is struggling? Hmm interesting. 

18 hours ago, njbuff said:

I would like to think that the Bills have much stronger coaching this time around to prevent it from happening.

Plus, I think they can iron a lot of these kinks out from within.

What do you think?

Nope, sticking with my 11-5. 10-6 at worst with either record getting us a WC spot. 

11 hours ago, ngbills said:

Including 13-3 NE, 8-8 NYJ (x2), 8-8 DAL, 9-7 TEN, 8-8 SD, and 8-8 DEN. Also 5 of the 9 games were on the road. So no it was not an easy schedule. 

Here is what I find funny. You say anything negative about this team and the response from many is that your an idiot this team is 5-2 so be quiet. But when we talk about prior 5-2 teams people can say those teams sucked or Trent Edwards sucked, the coaching sucked, etc. But they were 5-2...does that mean you can be 5-2 and still have a coach that may not be that good or a QB that is struggling? Hmm interesting. 

There may be some fans that find anything negative to be idiotic, but those are complete homers and can be discounted. That’s a far cry from your notion, though. The OPs question wasn’t if it was possible that this 5-2 team could flounder, as others have in the past. It was whether they were doomed to replicate the failures of completely different teams, with completely different players / coaches in very different situations. So while only  the biggest homers would say the team couldn’t possibly slip, only the “ sky is falling” critics of virtually everything the team does would say “ doomed” ! 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, njbuff said:

I would like to think that the Bills have much stronger coaching this time around to prevent it from happening.

Plus, I think they can iron a lot of these kinks out from within.

What do you think?

The Bills have a much easier schedule than those other years. The real problem is they can't beat playoff caliber teams.

• Like (+1) 1