Do you think the Bills are doomed to repeat 2008, 2011?

njbuff

17 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Chan Gailey actually out-smarted Bill Belichick, brilliantly used the clock, and snuck a win out against him.  The game in Buffalo.

More than McD has done.

Remember that game?  Remember BB running around as the clock struck zero screaming and yelling and whining?!

It's like his ego couldn't handle being beat at his own game.

One of the better Bills moments in recent years if you ask me.

That was a great moment, and I’m not sold

on McD as a championship coach. I think he’s an overly conservative coach who can lead average teams to the playoffs, but I’m not sure he’ll ever become a winner in January. The McD philosophy is about minimizing risks, and typically some boldness is required to be a champion caliber team. With that said, in no way is Chan Gailey a better coach than McD. Gailey is a lower tier head coach, who would have only been hired by the drought era Bills. McD’s coaching is vastly superior to that of 08 and 11. 

12 minutes ago, vincec said:

Chan was actually the best game manager that the Bills had in the drought era. I know it's not a high bar, but he was light years ahead of the other clowns.

Chan was a mess. The myth of Fitz and Gailey is vastly overrated around here because they won a couple big games together. People forget about all the terrible losses to weak opponents. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

2008 - Similarity is they were beating bad teams. They played better teams that year as NYJ, MIA and NE were all solid. 

2011 - They just fell apart. Balanced schedule and were beating decent teams until the wheels fell of.

This year we are beating bad teams and mostly play bad teams. We would have to be really bad. 

36 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I would like to think that the Bills have much stronger coaching this time around to prevent it from happening.

Plus, I think they can iron a lot of these kinks out from within.

What do you think?

Team started 5-2 as well with McDermott in 2017 before landing at 5-5 then recovering.  

You only have to look back to two years if you hope history repeats itself 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Coaching is not "much stronger" than Chan Gailey in 2011; it is better than Dick Jauron in 2008.

A monkey with a learning disability would provide better coaching than Dick Jauron.

Do not think we are doomed to repeat however.

Yeah sure the guy who was the National Scholar Athlete of the year from Yale in 1972 is dumber than a monkey. 

I think this team can win 10 games this season. The last stretch of the season looks tough. My hope is that McDermott knows this and has them well pre pared for the tougher games. They HAVE to be better in offense if they want any chance at playoffs 

30 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

THE CHANIMAL could draw up a screen like nobody's business! FACT!

I have said this many times and even heard a guy on WGR post game say it.  We own those films.  Dust 'em off and copy a few of those screens.  Hit Singletary instead of Fred.

I don't believe so.  Not with this schedule at least.  It's not that I think we are contenders or anything... It's that I think we will get better over time and not worse and that this schedule seems pretty weak compared to those years.

Can we get Chan back to run this offense?  I actually liked Chan.  I know that's probably not a popular opinion.

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

I have said this many times and even heard a guy on WGR post game say it.  We own those films.  Dust 'em off and copy a few of those screens.  Hit Singletary instead of Fred.

I genuinely believe Chan Gailey had a natural knack for drawing up clever plays.

It was a strength of his.

57 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

As always, anything is possible, but 2017 would seem to be a better marker than the Jauron/Gailey era teams. McDermott's already had a team here that went from 5-2 to 5-5 while getting gashed in the run game at a historic clip. After that Saints game where they ended the game with like 50 consecutive run plays, who could've seen that team winning another game the rest of the year? They managed to turn it around, win @KC and then break the drought. Had we came away with a win against the Eagles, YE OLE would've said we might have a run at the division here, gents. But, at this point, the most likely scenario is a 10/11 win season and a wildcard game at Indy/Baltimore. How McDermott's team fairs in that game will likely be the true test as to what the trajectory of THE PROCESS is. 

please stop.   11-5 would be amazing progress.   complete reversal of last year.  the result of one game never defines a season.  I don't give a crap about winning 1st round road wild card games.   To win the SB you almost always need to win your division and get home field.   That ain't gonna happen in the AFC East unless they build a super solid program here that is based on solid decision on top of solid long term decision.   Could take a couple more years, given how broken the program was McBeanes inherited. 

McD said it best today as to why no trades at the deadline.   Because they are being RESPONSIBLE and sticking to their roster building principles; I'm going with that as they are in general killing it in the personnel area.  Trust the Process.   This may take a while. 

13 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I doubt we have a collapse of that magnitude, if for no other reason than our schedule. We only have 3 quality opponents left to face. Even if we lose to all 3, we only have to go 4-2 against the scrubs to finish with a winning record.

Agreed, but although 9-7 may be above .500 it may not land us a Wild Card spot.  I'm hoping for 10+ wins!

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, ngbills said:

2008 - Similarity is they were beating bad teams. They played better teams that year as NYJ, MIA and NE were all solid. 

2011 - They just fell apart. Balanced schedule and were beating decent teams until the wheels fell of.

This year we are beating bad teams and mostly play bad teams. We would have to be really bad. 

I agree with the above.  We have a weak schedule and enough talent and coaching that we should be able to get to 10 wins and a wild card spot (and not implode like in those seasons).  We still get to play Washington this weekend (in Buffalo), the Jests again (in Buffalo), Miami again, a lesser than usual Pittsburgh team with no Big Ben,  Denver and Cleveland (who has played a tough schedule and is probably better than their record, but isn't great).  Tougher games against Dallas, Baltimore, New England again are also on the schedule.  I think we should easily win 4 out of these remaining games, should squeeze out 5, and perhaps (but not likely) 6, if the defensive lapse against Philly was an anomaly and not a trend.  That puts us between 9-7 and 11-5.

Edited by msw2112