Grace Turns 80 (An Airplane Thread)

T&C

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

If you are old enough, is this really a band in your top 10 for listening and purchasing of product?

For me it would be in the top 30 of bands people have at least heard of. No need to buy any of it, have it all... even a mono copy of Baxters.

Just now, T&C said:

For me it would be in the top 30 of bands people have at least heard of. No need to buy any of it, have it all... even a mono copy of Baxters.

SurrPillow is in top 50 album rotation for a long time, not brave enough to give Baxter’s a close listen again....  :(

I saw Starship at the Erie Co. Fair in 1988.  It was the weirdest concert ever because everybody was sitting on their hands when there was still sunshine and by the end everybody was going crazy and people were dancing in the space between the first row of folding chairs and the stage.....................Throughout the concert, there were shouts of Where's Grace?!?  

On 11/2/2019 at 1:39 PM, row_33 said:

If you are old enough, is this really a band in your top 10 for listening and purchasing of product?

I've tried listening to their albums, good songs just aren't there, only a handful to be found, plus worst of all, they are boring af. JMO. They play a part though in one of my all-time top 10 movies, Gimme Shelter, so there's always that.

1 minute ago, Rico said:

I've tried listening to their albums, good songs just aren't there, only a handful to be found, plus worst of all, they are boring af. JMO. They play a part though in one of my all-time top 10 movies, Gimme Shelter, so there's always that.

appears to have suffered a lot in lack of genius and a ton of drug infested self indulgence 

Taking on the ummm..... security at Altamont in seriousness was a balls move though 

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

appears to have suffered a lot in lack of genius and a ton of drug infested self indulgence 

Taking on the ummm..... security at Altamont in seriousness was a balls move though 

No doubt about that.

Also, I'm not a fan of the male/female dual vocals at all, just not very good to my ears. Off the top of my head, I would say even X with John Doe and Exene blows them away. White Rabbit is killer though.

On 11/2/2019 at 10:49 AM, Rico said:

IMO, Hot Tuna > Jefferson Airplane.

Saw Hot Tuna last year at Payomet in Truro. It’s a tent venue that holds about 200. 

Just Jorma and Jack. No opening act. 

Jack announced about bout halfway through their show that, “we’ve been playing together now for 60 years.” 

They started out playing in high school. 

Of course “Water Song” was their encore.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Rico said:

Which albums have you listened to? 

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

Which albums have you listened to? 

Let me look at All Music Guide, it's been many years...

Surrealistic Pillow & Volunteers several times,

Baxters, CoC, and Bless a couple times,

I bought those and Worst Of new, but not day 1 lol.

Bark & LJS I got used vinyl copies when I was working part-time in a record store, but I think I dumped them before ever playing.

30 Seconds was always in the cut-out bins, but I never bought it.

we listened to everything they released until it was getting really really sad.... which was a few into the JS Era.

my frosh year in residence suffered hearing We Built This City a few hundred times :(

the real talent went to Hot Tuna