Grace Turns 80 (An Airplane Thread)

T&C

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

Let me look at All Music Guide, it's been many years...

Surrealistic Pillow & Volunteers several times,

Baxters, CoC, and Bless a couple times,

I bought those and Worst Of new, but not day 1 lol.

Bark & LJS I got used vinyl copies when I was working part-time in a record store, but I think I dumped them before ever playing.

30 Seconds was always in the cut-out bins, but I never bought it.

Bark and LJS I'll always love... the end basically, some excellent songs on them. 30 secs is respectable. How did an arguably top 5 rock bass player of all time emerge from that band then?

4 minutes ago, T&C said:

Bark and LJS I'll always love... the end basically, some excellent songs on them. 30 secs is respectable. How did an arguably top 5 rock bass player of all time emerge from that band then?

Oh, I love Hot Tuna. :D

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, T&C said:

he was that good, always felt to be

20 hours ago, Rico said:

Oh, I love Hot Tuna. :D

Same here... only saw them once though, Jannus Landing in St. Pete in the 80's. Was an electric set that made it even better. Sat at the bar with my bud who I went with and Jack himself before the show and had a drink together... he signed a cocktail napkin which I keep safely in a book. That show was mindblowing... they tore the place UP.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, T&C said:

I read it and it was kind of meh and all over the place... and that guy dislikes the Byrds Sweetheart of the Rodeo to boot.

i prefer other Byrds albums besides that one

the C&W fad of that era was best employed by the Stones

and the Grateful Dead

37 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i prefer other Byrds albums besides that one

the C&W fad of that era was best employed by the Stones

and the Grateful Dead

Sweetheart I've always felt was a Parsons Lp with the Byrds as the band. 

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Same here... only saw them once though, Jannus Landing in St. Pete in the 80's. Was an electric set that made it even better. Sat at the bar with my bud who I went with and Jack himself before the show and had a drink together... he signed a cocktail napkin which I keep safely in a book. That show was mindblowing... they tore the place UP.

I never saw Hot Tuna, but I did see Jorma in Bloomington, IN around 1982 or so. I never saw any advertisement, but this Jorma-head somehow found out about it, so we drove down from Purdue. It was underneath some establishment, felt like a bingo hall. They had about 100 folding chairs set-up, and Jorma played an acoustic set right in front of us, no amps, no mics IIRC. My memory is hazy, but I remember it being pretty good while Jorma-head was really loving life.

Edited by Rico

On 10/31/2019 at 12:29 AM, row_33 said:

They weren’t a good band live, and Balin sang my top 5 songs for the group

And those top 5 songs are: 

I am old enough and they don't make my top 20 groups.  I haven't listened to an entire Airplane album since at  least as long as the Bills have gone to a Superbowl.

14 hours ago, Greybeard said:

And those top 5 songs are: 

I am old enough and they don't make my top 20 groups.  I haven't listened to an entire Airplane album since at  least as long as the Bills have gone to a Superbowl.

no particular order:

Comin' Back to Me

Plastic Fantastic Lover

Miracles

Volunteers

Today

the 2 Grace anthems have been tramped to death into the mud from 10,000 hearings....

51 minutes ago, row_33 said:

no particular order:

Comin' Back to Me

Plastic Fantastic Lover

Miracles

Volunteers

Today

the 2 Grace anthems have been tramped to death into the mud from 10,000 hearings....

Interesting you selected Miracles, while not the Airplane its close enough. The Red Octopus album really isn't bad at all, its what happened After that which became horrible.

47 minutes ago, T&C said:

Interesting you selected Miracles, while not the Airplane its close enough. The Red Octopus album really isn't bad at all, its what happened After that which became horrible.

i didn't include Hearts, which was a girlfriend's favourite song to suck face to back in the day...  

:D

57 minutes ago, T&C said:

Jane is OK. Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now is an OK 80’s pop song. I like both those better than anything on Red Octopus (zzzzz).

I remember watching AAU track & field as a kid on Sundays back in the only-5-channel days and for the opening, they would play the riff from She Has Funny Cars, that was pretty good.