SI feature on Gilmore-Bills coaching/prep during his time here don't come across well

13 hours ago, H2o said:

Uhhhhhhh, yeah, if you say so. Gilmore looked absolutely ecstatic when his name was called for the Bills. His demeanor never really changed while he was here. This isn't based off of "lies" spread by the organization either. Anyone with the smallest measure of common sense knew Gilmore was gone as soon as he had the chance. 

His body language was terrible both on and off the field during his time in Buffalo. People are entitled to their own opinion, but that’s what I saw too. He was far from being a terrible player while here, but a positive attitude often results in more success. Being on an improved team with a better attitude would explain the improvement he has made with the Pats. 

Edited by SirAndrew

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm sorry but this is simply not right. He was extremely good here. Bills fans took against him because he didn't smile on draft night.

No reason to apologize Gunner, different opinions are fine. I could care less how he acted on draft night he just seemed very reserved to me. Your saying you thought he tackled well while in Buffalo Gunner? Have you ever watched Antoine Winfield play? He was a small but very physical corner, great tackler!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billrooter said:

No reason to apologize Gunner, different opinions are fine. I could care less how he acted on draft night he just seemed very reserved to me. Your saying you thought he tackled well while in Buffalo Gunner? Have you ever watched Antoine Winfield play? He was a small but very physical corner, great tackler!!!

I think Gilmore's tackling is above average but no better than that. He is not a great tackler, I have never said so. But his coverage skills are outstanding. 

On 10/30/2019 at 3:27 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

What does this say about that irresponsible previous regime which drafted him?  Or the current regime who let him walk so that they could trade down, pass on two potential All Pro QBs, to draft his replacement?

Mitch Trubisky and who is the other one you are referring to? All teams pass on great players that they do not know are going to be great .. except the all knowing Patriots. Just curious if you think they let Tom Brady last to the 6th round if they had any premonition as to what he would turn out to be? The answer is of course not. The Patsies have "stolen" Scott Chandler, Chris Hogan, Mike Gillislee, and Alan Branch .. and only Gilmore has really worked out. Bottom line is he was a very good player for us and based on his abilities, his desire to be excellent, and some great coaching he has risen (looked shaky at the start of his tenure) to be the best. Kudos to him and the Pats.

36 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Mitch Trubisky and who is the other one you are referring to? All teams pass on great players that they do not know are going to be great .. except the all knowing Patriots. Just curious if you think they let Tom Brady last to the 6th round if they had any premonition as to what he would turn out to be? The answer is of course not. The Patsies have "stolen" Scott Chandler, Chris Hogan, Mike Gillislee, and Alan Branch .. and only Gilmore has really worked out. Bottom line is he was a very good player for us and based on his abilities, his desire to be excellent, and some great coaching he has risen (looked shaky at the start of his tenure) to be the best. Kudos to him and the Pats.

Hogan worked out for the Pats. He was exactly what they signed him to be. 

As for the Trubisky reference... the Bills did not pass on him. He was gone. You know who the two being referred to were.

On 11/2/2019 at 5:52 AM, GunnerBill said:

Hogan worked out for the Pats. He was exactly what they signed him to be. 

As for the Trubisky reference... the Bills did not pass on him. He was gone. You know who the two being referred to were.

Hogan was ok .. not anything special as many Bills fans feared as they are always worried Belichick will turn our trash into an all-pro. As for Trubisky .. yes I knew you were not talking about him, but that is the crap shoot that is the NFL Draft. many thought that Trubisky, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, and yes Josh Allen were franchise guys .. but you just don't know. If anyone had foresight that Mahomes would play like Mahomes ... they would have traded whatever it took to get to the number 1 spot. Nobody was that certain .. so while only 10 teams passed on Mahomes in a sense they all did.

33 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Hogan was ok .. not anything special as many Bills fans feared as they are always worried Belichick will turn our trash into an all-pro. As for Trubisky .. yes I knew you were not talking about him, but that is the crap shoot that is the NFL Draft. many thought that Trubisky, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, and yes Josh Allen were franchise guys .. but you just don't know. If anyone had foresight that Mahomes would play like Mahomes ... they would have traded whatever it took to get to the number 1 spot. Nobody was that certain .. so while only 10 teams passed on Mahomes in a sense they all did.

I don't buy that the draft is a crap shoot. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 3:23 PM, dave mcbride said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/30/stephon-gilmore-on-why-he-is-best-cornerback-in-nfl

He ached to know how they did it. “I know they’ve got a great quarterback, but these other guys are always in position to make plays,” Gilmore recalls thinking. “Five years in Buffalo, you see that and you are like, I don’t know what it is. What are they doing different? Then, to actually get on their side, is totally different.”

---

In Buffalo, Gilmore studied film on a projector at home. But the Patriots watch so much footage during the day that often Gilmore has nothing more to see at night. “Sometimes we even watch the same film 10 times in a row, and it’s like, I already watched this,” he says. “But you are not going to forget it in a game.” 

---

During his five years in Buffalo, Gilmore had three different coaches and four defensive coordinators. When Rex Ryan arrived in 2015, many expected the former Jets coach to use Gilmore the way he had used Revis. But the Bills’ staff relied less on man coverage than coaches had in New York; they kept Gilmore on the right side of the formation rather than let him follow the top receiver. “[The Patriots] demanded more of him,” says Dennis Thurman, Gilmore’s defensive coordinator for his last two seasons in Buffalo. “They needed him to handle the responsibility they placed on him, and in return he is paying them back for believing in him. He had to prove he was worthy of that contract, and now I think he has outperformed it.”

Gilmore did become a Revis—just for the world champions. During New England’s Thursday-night game against the Giants, in Week 6, Revis tweeted that Gilmore “by far is the best corner in the game right now.” 

Was on SiriusXM a day or two ago. Talk about ungrateful!!! The guy since the day he was drafted looked like he took a bite from a ***** sandwich. The Bills fans gave him much love. He never returned any of it! I hope Karma finds him right quick!

Image result for gilmore drafted by bills

On 10/30/2019 at 3:47 PM, Mark Vader said:

He deserved that during his final season with us.

I was always a Gilmore fan, but during that last season I was pretty harsh on him.

In retrospect though after reading and hearing how much turmoil that 2016 team had and how poorly they were coached/managed I can't say I blame him for preserving himself for the future.

6 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I was always a Gilmore fan, but during that last season I was pretty harsh on him.

In retrospect though after reading and hearing how much turmoil that 2016 team had and how poorly they were coached/managed I can't say I blame him for preserving himself for the future.

I was a Gilmore fan too. Watching him getting burnt by Chris Hogan and also seeing him not giving any effort in other games when it came to tackling, made me furious.

Yes, 2016 was a mess, but you go out and do your job. What he did was insult to all of the fans. He can go screw himself.

• Like (+1) 2