SI feature on Gilmore-Bills coaching/prep during his time here don't come across well

3 hours ago, stuvian said:

While every other team in the league keeps trying to acquire talent and waits for that talent to bail them out, the Patriots are busy coaching up what they have knowing that as perennial contenders they will never draft very high. Then when those players outperform and leave for more money the Pats get rewarded with compensatory picks. They have a culture where the only star is Brady and everyone else has humbled himself to his role on the team. You can tell that they have a culture of unselfishness where the rest of the league tries to acquire enough stars for a title run only to blow it up when salary cap hell sets in.

Rex Ryan misused Gilmore and Mario Williams just to name a few because his scheme was more important than using players to their best potential. 

Well said!

8 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

What does this say about that irresponsible previous regime which drafted him?  Or the current regime who let him walk so that they could trade down, pass on two potential All Pro QBs, to draft his replacement?

The Pegulas should have cleaned house immediately after the 2016 season, hired a new GM and let him hire his HC. Then the team would have been in position to select  their new QB in the 2017 draft. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was just as good here. He got no recognition and constantly had to play cover 0 and 1 with rex. Not exactly stat stuffing coverages

He's always been a top corner

You really believe he was just as good here? We must have been watching different games he got beat alot here IMO and he was a ***** when it came to tackling.

Gilmore was always a stud. I was never really sure what his critics were looking at. 

6 minutes ago, billrooter said:

You really believe he was just as good here? We must have been watching different games he got beat alot here IMO and he was a ***** when it came to tackling.

You were blaming him for getting on plays that were not his assignment. You know what is different in New England? They actually have safeties who do their jobs. I was not watching different games. I just watched them properly and understood what I was seeing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Because it's those exact irresponsible actions of the past which scare our current regime away from making trades. Apparently. Or at least according to McD?

I dunno, but I agree with you.

The current regime makes just as many irresponsible moves (Benjamin anyone?). They trade up in every draft usually passing on much better talent in the process.  This team is no better off, they are not really any better than Fitz, Orton or Tyrod teams, they STILL can only beat the worst  teams in the NFL, and barely. McDermott sucks IMO, and his comment shows how much he sucks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

The current regime makes just as many irresponsible moves (Benjamin anyone?). They trade up in every draft usually passing on much better talent in the process.  This team is no better off, they are not really any better than Fitz, Orton or Tyrod teams, they STILL can only beat the worst  teams in the NFL, and barely. McDermott sucks IMO, and his comment shows how much he sucks.

Right. On Pace for two playoff appearances in three years. No better.

You're a ######.

14 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He was the whipping boy on here.

There’s also a lot of footage of him not playing well and getting beat.  Maybe he wasn’t used in the most effective way but it’s not like fans demanding more from him was unwarranted.  There were times when he was not good 

1 minute ago, Phil The Thrill said:

There’s also a lot of footage of him not playing well and getting beat.  Maybe he wasn’t used in the most effective way but it’s not like fans demanding more from him was unwarranted.  There were times when he was not good 

And it seems like that was pretty much coaching, right?

Just now, Seven-N-Nine said:

And it seems like that was pretty much coaching, right?

A lot of it.  Belichick put him in a position to be successful.  But again, go back and watch Gilmore’s Bills footage.  He gets beat quite a lot and doesn’t look great. 

My point is - fans weren’t wrong for complaining.  

5 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

A lot of it.  Belichick put him in a position to be successful.  But again, go back and watch Gilmore’s Bills footage.  He gets beat quite a lot and doesn’t look great. 

Hopefully this is a good lesson for fans to start realizing that what has plagued this team for so long is the inability of ownership to hire good coaches. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Gilmore was always a stud. I was never really sure what his critics were looking at. 

You were blaming him for getting on plays that were not his assignment. You know what is different in New England? They actually have safeties who do their jobs. I was not watching different games. I just watched them properly and understood what I was seeing. 

I can see we aren't agreeing, so answer this football guru, his tackling has improved also? Or was i seeing illusions then also?

2 hours ago, billrooter said:

I can see we aren't agreeing, so answer this football guru, his tackling has improved also? Or was i seeing illusions then also?

He was never a great tackler - too many shoulder tackles and not enough wrapping up and he still has a bit of an issue there. But this idea that we shunned tackling is overblown too. I wouldn't say it is a strength of his game in comparison to his coverage skills but he can tackle.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Fans are actually wrong for complaining if they don't know (or don't assume as a given) that even the best CBs get beat regularly in the NFL, particularly if the pass rush isn't there. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

During his five years in Buffalo, Gilmore had three different coaches and four defensive coordinators.

If he played better and did not blame others for his faults maybe there would have been less turnover but it is easier unfortunately to get rids of coaches rather than 1st round picks.

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, that, but the fact that apparently Patriots DBs just never commit DPI doesn't hurt

This is the truth...

Gilmore was good in Buffalo, but he was also super handsy and got called for it quite a bit.  Now, in NE, he is just "physical"

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mikey152 said:

This is the truth...

Gilmore was good in Buffalo, but he was also super handsy and got called for it quite a bit.  Now, in NE, he is just "physical"

Too true.  To be fair, I do think that the NE position coaches work overtime studying calls and methodically determine what kind of physicality is likely to be called and what is likely to skate.  Then they coach their players to be "handsy" along those lines.  So we fans watching the cameras see it, but there's actually a basis for why they get away with it.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Too true.  To be fair, I do think that the NE position coaches work overtime studying calls and methodically determine what kind of physicality is likely to be called and what is likely to skate.  Then they coach their players to be "handsy" along those lines.  So we fans watching the cameras see it, but there's actually a basis for why they get away with it.

I agree 100%...it's all gamesmanship.  They have mastered playing football 5-10 mph over the speed limit.