SI feature on Gilmore-Bills coaching/prep during his time here don't come across well

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

What does this say about that irresponsible previous regime which drafted him?  Or the current regime who let him walk so that they could trade down, pass on two potential All Pro QBs, to draft his replacement?

What does it say?

It tells me the regime that drafted him recognized the talent, they just had no idea how utilize his strengths because of lack of vision in the coaching and schemes.

Current regime? I'm sure they wanted to retain him but the combination of them low balling his worth and his pessimistic attitude towards the organization made it virtually impossible. Let's face it, his final year in Buffalo he played like he didn't want any part of the Bills. He played like a fragile China Doll,  afraid to make any type of tackle that might injure him jeopardizing his payday.

4 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Who here honestly believes that Buffalo's coaching staff is on par with NE? 

Why is anyone offended?

20 years ago you won by being good at tackling or running or catching.

Now?

It's getting away with penalties, stealing signals, intentionally injuring everyone.

Why watch it if I know rich bullies are always going to win?

In the 90s: league pushed back on the Bills A LOT.

In his last year here, Gilmore's play declined.  He was always a good cover guy but he was clearly avoiding contact in order to cash in on his next contract.  I don't know if Wrecks had much to do with that.  To keep him the Bills would have had to pay a fortune in a guaranteed contract to a guy who wasn't doing as well as possible.  There's just no way the Bills would come up with that money.

To the list of good CBs we've let go, don't forget Ronald Darby.  A very good CB who we didn't get much for, who's doing very well in Philly, under Schwartz.  

There's a lot to "unpack" here, but as a curtesy reminder: the New England Patriots of the past 20 years are not just one of the best NFL teams of all time, nor even one of the best SPORTS teams of all times--they are, in many ways, one of the best run companies in the world during that time. They set a goal of excellence and consistently achieve it, they maximize profit, and their investments generally pay off.

Some (but only some) of the reason for Buffalo's failures over the past 20 years can be directly attributed to the success of the Patriots. We are in their division, which basically sets us back 2 losses a year. Most teams figure 9-7 gets them a wildcard. For Buf, writing off 2 losses automatically, means they need to go 9-5 the rest of the way. Daunting. Hell, our record in any other division in the AFC this year alone would have us competing for a first round bye... as it is, a wild card is the ceiling.

Now, as a fan, that sucks, but as a player... I mean... what do you expect him to say.

I've left jobs I've hated for much better jobs--and that was without millions in a raise. 

So, all in all, good for him, tough to refute what he says, not much to debate.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Happy Gilmore 

When YOU don't live up to expectations

Look inward before you look outward 

Hate to say it SSG,  but the Bills coaching staffs have been, well, not so good, sure we’ve had a couple DCs that were above average, but by and large they have been lacking and it was shown to be that way for nearly two decades. I’m hoping this regime will correct that constant sorrow...

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

What does this say about that irresponsible previous regime which drafted him?  Or the current regime who let him walk so that they could trade down, pass on two potential All Pro QBs, to draft his replacement?

WAIT A SECOND... I could easily make the case that Tre White is as good as Gilmore. They did everything in their power to change the culture, and Gilmore didn't fit in with that, so we have Tre. Also, both of those "All Pro QBs" have put up numbers like Matthew Stafford on other teams, but it doesn't mean that they would do it here with the mess we had. 

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/30/stephon-gilmore-on-why-he-is-best-cornerback-in-nfl

He ached to know how they did it. “I know they’ve got a great quarterback, but these other guys are always in position to make plays,” Gilmore recalls thinking. “Five years in Buffalo, you see that and you are like, I don’t know what it is. What are they doing different? Then, to actually get on their side, is totally different.”

---

In Buffalo, Gilmore studied film on a projector at home. But the Patriots watch so much footage during the day that often Gilmore has nothing more to see at night. “Sometimes we even watch the same film 10 times in a row, and it’s like, I already watched this,” he says. “But you are not going to forget it in a game.” 

---

During his five years in Buffalo, Gilmore had three different coaches and four defensive coordinators. When Rex Ryan arrived in 2015, many expected the former Jets coach to use Gilmore the way he had used Revis. But the Bills’ staff relied less on man coverage than coaches had in New York; they kept Gilmore on the right side of the formation rather than let him follow the top receiver. “[The Patriots] demanded more of him,” says Dennis Thurman, Gilmore’s defensive coordinator for his last two seasons in Buffalo. “They needed him to handle the responsibility they placed on him, and in return he is paying them back for believing in him. He had to prove he was worthy of that contract, and now I think he has outperformed it.”

Gilmore did become a Revis—just for the world champions. During New England’s Thursday-night game against the Giants, in Week 6, Revis tweeted that Gilmore “by far is the best corner in the game right now.” 

Entirely different regime now so not relevant to the current Bills. But I think we know now there was much dysfunction here in the past.

While every other team in the league keeps trying to acquire talent and waits for that talent to bail them out, the Patriots are busy coaching up what they have knowing that as perennial contenders they will never draft very high. Then when those players outperform and leave for more money the Pats get rewarded with compensatory picks. They have a culture where the only star is Brady and everyone else has humbled himself to his role on the team. You can tell that they have a culture of unselfishness where the rest of the league tries to acquire enough stars for a title run only to blow it up when salary cap hell sets in.

Rex Ryan misused Gilmore and Mario Williams just to name a few because his scheme was more important than using players to their best potential. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Who here honestly believes that Buffalo's coaching staff is on par with NE? 

Why is anyone offended?

No one here should.  Our coaching staff is not even close to what they have in NE.

17 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Essentially, he's saying that multiple coaching staffs during his tenure in Buffalo were lax in their preparation and work at developing players in comparison with New England.  Does anyone disagree with that?  I get the impression that McDermott is far closer to Belichick in his attention to detail than any coach Buffalo has ever had, even Marv Levy.  Whether or not he's as thorough as the evil emperor, only a player who has been under both could know.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

The Bills have a long history of drafting quality CBs -- Winfield, Clements, Gilmore, and now White. They let the first 3 walk before their 2nd contract, let's hope that doesn't happen with Tre.

Robert James trumps all listed.

He didn't want to be in Buffalo and that last year, there is no question that he avoided contact and tackles. I remember one play where he literally jumped away to the side like a bullfighter. So, I wasn't sorry to see him go. Yes the team was a complete dysfunctional mess and maybe it sucked to play for a team or coaches like that, but you're also playing for your teammates, the fans, your family and friends, your own competitiveness, and oh yeah, because they're paying you a lot of money to do so. But he didn't do that his last year in Buffalo. There was a little quit in him. So, in essence, no matter how skilled he was, he was not a culture fit. Didn't have the DNA that McDermott and Beane talk about---self-motivated, team-first football players. Then he goes to a team where he is held accountable, where he doesn't have a disgruntled past with the team, where not even the Hall of Fame quarterback gets a pass. So, you better be playing your best ball. And to his credit, he is. But it was also the right move for the Bills at that time. He is a player that can walk into an established culture and be part of it, but not necessarily one of the guys that you want to build your culture around.

Is he one of the best corners in the league now? Yes. Would he have been if he stayed in Buffalo? Probably not.

McD wants only physical corners. Gilmore is nothing like that. I don't think we even considered it nor do I think we would even with the benefit of hindsight. Call it marriage to the scheme. We saw that with Rex and others, it's something that always bothered me and why I think NE is the best. BB is one of the few that is married to his players not a scheme and he excels at teaching them how to execute new schemes and game plans to fit exactly what the best mismatches are on a week by week basis. Everybody else looks for players that fit into a box that is part of a bigger box. BB could care less.