McDermott on no trades: "There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way."

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

So you believe that Pegula bought the team to be mediocre and make money?

He seems like the kind of guy who aims for mediocrity in life. That’s just how most BILLIONAIRES are. 

9 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

Yes we have had a couple of GMs and coaches under Pegula, so tell me what has changed? I saw 3 coaches all have had  similar records during their tenure here. When you hire a mediocre head coach, you get mediocre team, which from a business standpoint is fantastic, you can sell hope for next season. 

By the way “The process” is a marketing gimmick, can you tell me who was the president of PSE when Sean was hired?  You don’t think Brandon wasn’t all over that idea? That Brandon has no influence on that hire? 

By your perspective, what does being a fan of the Bills say about you?

asking for a friend...

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, Commsvet11 said:

Yes we have had a couple of GMs and coaches under Pegula, so tell me what has changed? I saw 3 coaches all have had  similar records during their tenure here. When you hire a mediocre head coach, you get mediocre team, which from a business standpoint is fantastic, you can sell hope for next season. 

By the way “The process” is a marketing gimmick, can you tell me who was the president of PSE when Sean was hired?  You don’t think Brandon wasn’t all over that idea? That Brandon has no influence on that hire? 

The process is not a marketing gimmick.  I can think of no successful organizations that don’t have successful processes.  

Brandon I’m sure had influence on hiring McD.  Pegula made the call.  And his call got the team into the playoffs for the first time in 17 years.  It got him a GM that has gotten us into a favorable cap situation, and drafted what we hope will be our franchise QB.  And between them a team that currently is 5-2.

22 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Criticism or caveats are not equal to hate.

You're missing:

-If McDermott led the worst team in the league to 6-10, it's fair to ask why it was the worst team in the league?  Decisions and choices were made.

-They were 5-2 in 2017 at this point and the last two games have been fugly

Haters gonna hate 

On 10/30/2019 at 1:52 PM, frostbitmic said:

The only thing it seems he could be talking about is trades at the deadline and the only one I've seen them make or remember, is trading for Box of Twinkies Benjamin.

He did catch a TD pass on the Show Bowl. Without that the drought is still on at 19. 

19 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

The better players are on the defensive side of the ball, no question about it. They've spent a lot more draft capital on the defense and I think that's clear...which is why his first-round pick# needed to be clarified. It's the difference between a 50/50 or 75/25 split on allocating the most valuable draft resources, which is what they've done. Free agency, draft, everything has been done to prioritize the defensive rebuild and it's worked. They are going to proceed with the offense this off-season. I am completely ok with both their priorities and the resultant quality vis a vis offensive/defensive statistics. I think both units are performing right at where their respective levels of talent suggest they should.

It's worked on one solid opponent this season - the Patriots.  

Really what we're talking about is a subject that people struggle to understand here - strategy.  I contend that rebuilding the defense first and continuing to use resources there, particularly the secondary, is an exercise in futility.  Modern NFL strategy is about having a good or better offense and a sufficient defense to get stops.  And, the rules clearly favor the offense with RTP and PI calls.  We're also starting to see teams attack Buffalo's weakness up the middle of that defense, which seems more suited for defending the pass and a lot less so on the run.  

There's a ceiling that defense first teams have in the NFL of 2019: 10-6.  That may be good for long suffering Bills fans who haven't seen double digit wins since 1999, but it's only going to carry a team until they play against a dynamic offense.  

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Really what we're talking about is a subject that people struggle to understand here - strategy.  I contend that rebuilding the defense first and continuing to use resources there, particularly the secondary, is an exercise in futility.  Modern NFL strategy is about having a good or better offense and a sufficient defense to get stops.  And, the rules clearly favor the offense with RTP and PI calls.  We're also starting to see teams attack Buffalo's weakness up the middle of that defense, which seems more suited for defending the pass and a lot less so on the run.  

There's a ceiling that defense first teams have in the NFL of 2019: 10-6.  That may be good for long suffering Bills fans who haven't seen double digit wins since 1999, but it's only going to carry a team until they play against a dynamic offense.  

I have this team finishing 10-6, so we agree.

7 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

And yet the two best teams in the NFL right now are the undefeated Patriots and the undefeated 49ers, two defense-first teams with absolutely elite defenses and offenses more than capable of contributing as well.

The differences between them and the Bills?

1. Their defenses are actually elite. The Bills' defense is mediocre in turnovers and run defense, below average in pass rush, and pathetic in red zone defense.

2. The Patriots and 49ers have good offenses, though not elite in the same way as KC. The Bills' offense, meanwhile, has a lot of work to do. Too many turnovers, poor passing game, too many three-and-outs, etc..

My conclusion: keep improving both sides of the ball, but you can win a Super Bowl in the NFL with just a good offense and an elite defense.

43 minutes ago, KayAdams said:

And yet the two best teams in the NFL right now are the undefeated Patriots and the undefeated 49ers, two defense-first teams with absolutely elite defenses and offenses more than capable of contributing as well.

The differences between them and the Bills?

1. Their defenses are actually elite. The Bills' defense is mediocre in turnovers and run defense, below average in pass rush, and pathetic in red zone defense.

2. The Patriots and 49ers have good offenses, though not elite in the same way as KC. The Bills' offense, meanwhile, has a lot of work to do. Too many turnovers, poor passing game, too many three-and-outs, etc..

My conclusion: keep improving both sides of the ball, but you can win a Super Bowl in the NFL with just a good offense and an elite defense.

You forgot to mention that both the Patriots and 49ers have very good and above QB play.  Their offenses are better than "more than capable." 

The problem with so called "elite defenses" are that they are almost impossible to keep together.  Remember those Seahawks teams with the Legion of Boom?  Most of those guys are on other teams or retired.   Those guys eventually want to get paid (see Thomas, Earl).  There aren't many teams with top defenses over 4 or more seasons for exactly this reason.  

The fastest way to being a great team is getting the QB, putting players around him, and having a good enough defense.  You don't stack up the defense and have just a "more than capable" offense as your rebuilding strategy.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wow, insightful

I thought about proving you wrong but it's pointless.  Your head is in the sand on this one. However,  I'm sure you'll be back when this team makes the playoffs.  GO BILLS, right? 

1 hour ago, McBean said:

"Too many years of irresponsible decision making."

Yeah like you passing on Watson and Mahomes for a QB.

McDermott was in no position to be drafting a franchise QB that year.  He had a dead man walking at GM in Whaley and was still trying to rid the team of non process players.  Yes it would have been nice to have had Beane for that draft and we can beat that dead horse all night but I would rather not.