McDermott on no trades: "There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way."

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

Dude, the offense is basically have of a team, and you want people to give an honest criticism of the team, MINUS the most glaring issue. 

Look at the roster! The talent is on one side of the ball...who in their right mind was expecting fireworks offensively?

Seriously, what more were you possibly expecting?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Look at the roster! The talent is on one side of the ball...who in their right mind was expecting fireworks offensively?

To be closer to the middle of the pack. Considering who they have played their offense should be much better then it is. The biggest problem is trying to make Allen a pocket passer, when he should be more like Murray. Let him run around and make plays. Build an offense around that instead of of this short passing offense that he has trouble excelling in. 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Let me put this another way: what could a rational observer of this team reasonably expect to be better? Outside offensive production, which I think we can all acknowledge is an issue due in large part to a lack of true playmakers (which I believe will be resolved this offseason)...what more do you want out of this team at this particular point in time?

You aren't actually suggesting the team is literally perfect at this point in time, are you?  I.E., it would be impossible for anything to be better?  

:lol:

20 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Agreed....when we traded for him I thought it was going to be a good trade

We have absolutely no idea what teams were asking for in compensation for a trade

For instance....Corey Davis....I actually like him....what if the Titans were just asking for too much?

I understand I have no idea what the value was out there, I get that but you're telling me a guy like DT Andrew Billings on a 1 year deal was going for more than a 4th? Kenyan Drake went for a 6th round pick that can turn into a 5th round pick, I'm not saying I wanted Drake but there were no guys even on the cheap who could have helped us at any position? I just didn't care for it and to say it the way he did seems very egotistical imo. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Watching Emmanuel Sanders with SF , now makes me wonder if we should have went after a WR. Kenyan Drake killed it too.

Yes, both are looking like "Oh, Snap!" counterpoints to McDermott's comment at present

7 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Let me put this another way: what could a rational observer of this team reasonably expect to be better? Outside offensive production, which I think we can all acknowledge is an issue due in large part to a lack of true playmakers (which I believe will be resolved this offseason)...what more do you want out of this team at this particular point in time?

"Other than THAT, Mrs Lincoln, How did you like the Play?"

• Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Mark92 said:

There seems to be a lot of hate being thrown towards McDermott in this thread.  I am very surprised.  The man got a lesser team to the playoffs then what Rex had and went 5-11.  Then he followed it up by leading probably the worst team in the league to 6-10.  Now they are 5-2 and 10 wins is a real possibility.  What am I missing??

12 wins is a real possibility.

Folks now are criticizing this McD comment.  Bottom line is this, not just for the Bills but for any professional sports team.  You bring in new management, including a HC and GM, they are going to have their own philosophy about how to build a successful team.  If they are successful, then they're heroes.  IF they're not, they get fired.

McD and Beane have been as clear as day about their philosophies.  It's time for folks to realize that, and not be surprised when they stick to their philosophy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/30/2019 at 11:30 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Oh snap. 

Yepper.  Blame the lack of talent on the current roster on the previous regime after three years of McDermott and Beane shaping the roster to their own specs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Some rational observers would like to see the defense, in the 3rd year of a defensive coach's tenure exert its will on inferior opponents.  It's expected that a project QB in his second year will struggle.

This may seem nitpicky to some, but we can't ignore the spectacular luck Bills enjoyed thanks to 2 opposing kicker meltdowns.  But even leaving that out, everyone forgets the tremendous luck against the Jets when Robbie Anderson got clear behind coverage twice late in 4Q, how they let Giants hang around too long, allowed Cincy to drive down the field for the entire second half.   This defense still struggles with veteran QBs three years into McD's regime.

That's why this discussion is very apt in this thread.  Were they aggressive enough to add to the pass rush when game changing players were available?  You can argue that Adrian Clayborn and Ziggy Ansah are far better options opposite Hughes than what Murphy has been delivering.  Would this defense be strides better with Khalil Mack, and without Ed Oliver and whoever will be next year's first rounder?   Chances are that Bills don't pick in Top 10 in '19 anyway if Mack was on the roster.

The irresponsible transactions can also include sitting pat and collecting mid-late round draft picks.  That in itself is a contradiction.  If Beane is somewhat happy with his roster now in a fight for the playoffs, will the team be much more improved next year utilizing its 9 draft picks (5 selections in rounds 5-6) or use some of that late round draft capital to acquire a proven player now?

Beane & McDermott keep talking about building through the draft, but after 3 drafts by this regime, only 1 pick out of 11 in the late rounds (Milano) is a starter.  Three drafts is enough history to judge a front office and at this point it's certainly valid for a rational observer to question a strategy that hordes late round picks for future potential at the expense of using them to add bona fide NFL talent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

You are moving the goal posts. You asked for a criticism of the team, outside of the largest criticism of the team, which is a stupid exercise to interject yourself in. Now it is, well there isn't enough talent. It is year 3, given FA, it does not take that long to move from bad, to mediocre. They currently are not as good as the offense they inherited.  It isn't because they have ignored that side of the ball, it is because they have not done a great job of identifying talent on that side of the ball.   2 firsts, 3 seconds, 2 thirds, and the 2nd highest paid center should be better than bottom of the barrel. 

They have invested more than enough to not be 19th in YPG, 25th in offensive plays, and 24th in points per game...all of which the Bills are the last ranked team above .500

Josh Allen- 2x 1sts

Dawkins- 2nd

Ford-2nd

Zay Jones- 2nd

Devin Singletary- 3rd

Kelvin Benjamin- 3rd

Mitch Morris- 2nd Highest paid center in the NFL 

• Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Mango said:

You are moving the goal posts. You asked for a criticism of the team, outside of the largest criticism of the team, which is a stupid exercise to interject yourself in. Now it is, well there isn't enough talent. It is year 3, given FA, it does not take that long to move from bad, to mediocre. They currently are not as good as the offense they inherited.  It isn't because they have ignored that side of the ball, it is because they have not done a great job of identifying talent on that side of the ball.   2 firsts, 3 seconds, 2 thirds, and the 2nd highest paid center should be better than bottom of the barrel. 

They have invested more than enough to not be 19th in YPG, 25th in offensive plays, and 24th in points per game...all of which the Bills are the last ranked team above .500

Josh Allen- 2x 1sts

Dawkins- 2nd

Ford-2nd

Zay Jones- 2nd

Devin Singletary- 3rd

Kelvin Benjamin- 3rd

Mitch Morris- 2nd Highest paid center in the NFL 

The only guy on that list that is a proven difference make is Morris. 

If Singletary can’t catch the foot consistently or can’t beat out a 36 yo RB then we are in serious trouble at RB because Yeldon sucks. If he is having fumbling issues in practice that’s not good either.

Josh Allen as of right now would be considered a slightly better than average starting QB. He’s still a very raw QB and will be given another year to produce before he gets the Trubiski treatment.

Dawkins has been solid but I feel like LT is a area that needs a upgrade. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Folks now are criticizing this McD comment.  Bottom line is this, not just for the Bills but for any professional sports team.  You bring in new management, including a HC and GM, they are going to have their own philosophy about how to build a successful team.  If they are successful, then they're heroes.  IF they're not, they get fired.

McD and Beane have been as clear as day about their philosophies.  It's time for folks to realize that, and not be surprised when they stick to their philosophy. 

This makes no sense. What is their philosophy? Beane traded for KB and has wasted draft picks moving up in the draft to target certain players. So I'm not sure what philosophy you are referencing. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The only guy on that list that is a proven difference make is Morris. 

If Singletary can’t catch the foot consistently or can’t beat out a 36 yo RB then we are in serious trouble at RB because Yeldon sucks. If he is having fumbling issues in practice that’s not good either.

Josh Allen as of right now would be considered a slightly better than average starting QB. He’s still a very raw QB and will be given another year to produce before he gets the Trubiski treatment.

Dawkins has been solid but I feel like LT is a area that needs a upgrade. 

We have 2 returning starters on offense. And those two are Dawkins, who is solid, and Allen, who is a second year QB.  This offense may not come around, but, man, people are super critical of this brand new offense. 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This makes no sense. What is their philosophy? Beane traded for KB and has wasted draft picks moving up in the draft to target certain players. So I'm not sure what philosophy you are referencing. 

They are going to build through the draft and use free agency judiciously to fill holes.  So when they didn't make some big midseason trade it is consistent with their philosophy.  Only time they did that was with Benjamin.  And yes, that was a poor decision.  Not all decisions work out, and that goes for every team in the league.

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Their "philosophy" is to maintain their job security, pacify the fans, and make as much profit as possible.   By getting rid of all of the talented (and expensive) players from the previous regime with bogus claims that they "weren't good fits" or "didn't want to be here" or "were mistakes"  and claiming to want to "build through the draft", they've given themselves years of cover for their lack of progress in replacing the talent they inherited.   That -- and creating a huge amount of dead cap space in 2018 -- also gives them the excuse to not pursue first tier players who might be on the trade block or available as FAs.

If the Bills under Pegula/Brandon/Beane/McDermott were truly interested in building a winning team,  Stephon Gilmore, Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins, Cordy Glenn, Shady McCoy and several other lesser players wouldn't now be playing for other teams.  If the Bills "brain trust" was truly interested in building a winning team, McDermott would have hired a bonafide QB coach from the start of his tenure not wait until his third year to replace his pal Culley who last coached QBs thirty plus years ago!

This team isn't building anything "the right way".  They're muddling through and hoping that somehow Josh Allen, despite his flaws as a passer and the serious lack of talent around him and the non-existent to mediocre coaching he's received, can somehow become a true franchise QB and give them cred as "geniuses" for recognizing him as a "diamond in the rough".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1