McDermott on no trades: "There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way."

YoloinOhio

22 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Then why trade a 3rd for Benjamin? Move up for Zay? They have given up premium picks to move up in the draft the last 2 years. If AJ Green would have cost "multiple" premium picks, then sure. If they weren't willing to give up a 2nd for Green, then shame on them. Especially with 89 million of cap room next year. 

They don't actually have 89 million to spend.  They will spend 1/2 that at best.  Current roster players need to be paid.  

There seems to be a lot of hate being thrown towards McDermott in this thread.  I am very surprised.  The man got a lesser team to the playoffs then what Rex had and went 5-11.  Then he followed it up by leading probably the worst team in the league to 6-10.  Now they are 5-2 and 10 wins is a real possibility.  What am I missing??

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

There seems to be a lot of hate being thrown towards McDermott in this thread.  I am very surprised.  The man got a lesser team to the playoffs then what Rex had and went 5-11.  Then he followed it up by leading probably the worst team in the league to 6-10.  Now they are 5-2 and 10 wins is a real possibility.  What am I missing??

He lost on Sunday and didn't make any trades to make sure it doesn't happen again.

On 10/30/2019 at 12:24 PM, GG said:

Dick Jauron once went 13-3

Not with Buffalo he didn't. But you knew that, didn't you, troll?

5 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

You're missing the fact that you're part of one of the least knowledgeable fan bases in the NFL.

I've come to that sad conclusion this year. Edit: not saying you're one of them. But they ARE legion.

Edited by Joe in Winslow

angry thread  lol

who knows what McD was saying ?

he might.
no question it is a fair statement nonetheless , room to improve there.

for me? i did not see anything worth trading for.
no magic pony to be had.

Keep grinding and building the hard way, and do your best to find some gems in the draft while scouring the waiver wire for upgrades shaking loose.

a good trade is very hard to come by. 

imo

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You're missing the fact that you're part of one of the least knowledgeable fan bases in the NFL.

I've come to that sad conclusion this year.

Right, because New England's fan base is a congressional library of football knowledge, same with Pittsburgh.

Your statement is so far off a map can't even help it.

6 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

...when Marrone threw his hat in the ring, he made "culture change" a major selling point with Brandon and followed up regularly on his status.. for all of his coaching faults, that's why he ended up getting hired....but his General Patton style ended up with Brandon and Whaley turning on him...McD knew what was needed and has done so IMO.....no problem with his ongoing approach.......

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You DO read this forum daily, right?

I do.  Football doesn't attract the brightest of individuals, in general.  From what I've seen, a good number of posters know more than the fanbases of a lot of other  teams.

You seem to take any criticism of McD very personally, and I'm not sure why.  There is a lot to be critical of; and yes, he does do some things right.  From what I can tell, he's still learning on the job and still needs to get better.

15 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Not with Buffalo he didn't. But you knew that, didn't you, troll?

He didn't.  But he was certainly 5-1 in Buffalo, which I'm guessing you praised at the time too, and laughed at anyone who suggested that their early wins were not sustainable. 

57 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Not to mention, the Bengals WERE NOT trading Green. But who needs facts?

Cincy GM told you that? What's his contact info? 

1 hour ago, Mark92 said:

They don't actually have 89 million to spend.  They will spend 1/2 that at best.  Current roster players need to be paid.  

They have 89 million in cap space next year, spin however you would like. 

On 10/30/2019 at 12:24 PM, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, I think this is mostly a shot at Russ Brandon 

...which is a fair assessment IMO...he was elevated into positions woefully unqualified for based solely on RW's element of trust after the "Inner Circle" collapsed during the Donohoe era.....

I think he is probably stating that there wasn't a reasonably priced trade to be had. I don't think that there were any trade deadlines from the previous administration to compare it to. But the point stands that you don't need to make a move if one isn't out there to be had. 

Basically, they didnt feel the need to make a move for the sake of making a move.  From reports they were in on Sanders and Sanu.  Imo NE vastly overpaid and Denver wouldn't want to face Sanders in a month and sending him to the NFC makes more sense.