McDermott on no trades: "There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way."

YoloinOhio

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Mike Schopp from earlier today:

"The three years before McDermott got here, the Bills' combined point differential was PLUS 95.  Since, it's MINUS 150.  And that includes this season.  STOP WITH HOW MUCH BETTER YOU ARE AT THIS THAN THOSE GUYS!"

:lol:

:thumbsup:

:beer:

The 3 years before McD got here... coaches/gms in win now mode... spending to cap... trading picks away... 24-24

Since McD got here... coaches/gm in rebuild mode... clearing cap... acquiring picks... 20-19

• Like (+1) 1

We weren't a player away from contending.

We MAY be a contender w/ what we have.  It's really down to Allen.  He need to play like he did on the 1st few drives last week all the time.  He needs to be consistent; he needs to be better.

I think he can, but it needs to start happening pretty quickly.

2 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Hard to win in the NFL birdies coming out of the woodwork. Makes you start to wonder.

To build an organization that employs hundreds of people, united in achieving a single goal, that resets itself every February--is a herculean task.

Over the past quarter century, the Patriots are the only team that has been able to consistently do it--across all 4 major North American sports.

So it is 1/120, or 8/10ths of 1% likely to happen. 

The next tier down: Green Bay, Pit, NYG, NO... they win, but have losing seasons interspersed, with plenty of playoff heartbreak. I would imagine we're shooting for that. So far, this administration has 1 trip to the playoffs, a 6-10 year, and a 5-2 start to this year. They have said that their path forward is to build through the draft, resign their own guys, and not make poor decisions in free agency. 

Despite this obvious progress, what I have learned this fall is that as bad as Bills fans were when the team was bad, they are absolutely miserable and toxic on here as the product begins to improve. I am beginning to loathe this board--a place I've come to for years and years to stay up to date on the team, has become, or is becoming, a place so filled with asinine hate and piss poor takes that it's putting me in a bad mood to read it. Honestly, and I hate saying this because it's a liberal echo chamber, but the Bills sub reddit is a 1000x better because people just upvote funny memes and talk about drinking and how in love with Josh Allen they are.

Here? People have made it a goddamn badge of honor to be a contrarian--and hey, when we were losing, that was cool, because guys would be like "19-0 on the way baby". Or, "if we finish 7-0 we can still snag a wild card."

Now? Now its "We're 5-2, but Dabol should officially be on notice and this team is NOT good." "Mahomes and Watson are constant reminders that Beane should be fired--despite the fact that both QBs have worse records than Allen this year." "Is there such a thing as a BAD win?" etc. etc. etc.

It's trying to piss into the ocean against a strong wind to say that I'm going to leave here, but goddamn. Before 6 hours ago, we all hated the Rex era. But now because McD said they made bad moves in the past I'm on page 13 of people talking about how McD needs to mind his business and be respectful of those amazing football architects. 

Not internet tough guy talk, honest sports bar let's share a table and watch this game talk, but do people actually operate like this in real life? Do people on here watch these games in a fun environment, with other fans, and say this crazy *****? Because I watch the games (out of state) with a group of guys and we're having a really enjoyable fall, figuring the Bills will play a playoff game or 2, and the tide is turning. And McD pointing out the obvious that the previous regimes... ummm... didn't win football games? isn't ground breaking? Like, we had the longest drought in North America for not making the post season. Objectively, the team sucked. Hardcore. And they were frustrating as ***** to watch.

Now we can't defend the coach that ended that drought, and has the team playing winning football with a young QB (who looks a hell of a lot better than the QBs taken ahead of him that draft, btw) when he says that they didn't make moves because the previous regimes dicked the team over by making terrible decisions.
I mean, Christ, do you guys REMEMBER the Sammy Watkins trade?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 5

53 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m sure money had nothing to do with it. 

I love the Bills but there’s zero percent he choose us if the money was equal or close. 

Come on with Kroft though. 

for sure. but the poster said we couldn't get free agents to come here. that's false. so much so that this one picked playing in buffalo over NE. 

10 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

"Mahomes and Watson are constant reminders that Beane should be fired--despite the fact that both QBs have worse records than Allen this year." "Is there such a thing as a BAD win?" etc. etc. etc.

Great post, but this part is particularly outstanding. :worthy:

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Mike Schopp from earlier today:

"The three years before McDermott got here, the Bills' combined point differential was PLUS 95.  Since, it's MINUS 150.  And that includes this season.  STOP WITH HOW MUCH BETTER YOU ARE AT THIS THAN THOSE GUYS!"

:lol:

:thumbsup:

:beer:

Riveting content as always. Has he held his Halloween Candy Draft yet? How about his fantasy candy team? 

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Riveting content as always. Has he held his Halloween Candy Draft yet? How about his fantasy candy team? 

Fizzers get my vote.  Outstanding UK candy. 

I heard his rant on this McD statement and thought it was very entertaining. 

Edited by WotAGuy

1 hour ago, Mark92 said:

They tell us all the time that they want to build this thing through the draft.  The only outlier is if they see value in adding talent.  Adding AJ Green would obviously help the offense but not worth giving up premium picks.  Would you rather have AJ Green for 2 years or a legit CB to play opposite White?  Or how about a DT who can run block?  Or a DE that can get sacks?  Or a 21 year old 1st round receiver?  This team still has holes and you can't give up multiple premium picks to fill one hole.  

Then why trade a 3rd for Benjamin? Move up for Zay? They have given up premium picks to move up in the draft the last 2 years. If AJ Green would have cost "multiple" premium picks, then sure. If they weren't willing to give up a 2nd for Green, then shame on them. Especially with 89 million of cap room next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Whaley's trades for players:

Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes

Kiko Alonso for Lesean McCoy

A fifth and a seventh for Matt Cassel and a sixth

Trade deadline trades: I'm fairly certain the number under Whaley was zero. 

Yeah. If he was directly referencing TRADE DEADLINE moves, he's admitting that he and Beane made a mistake. I'm FAIRLY certain he's aware of the fact that the Bills haven't made big in season trades prior to KB. It's tough to tell.

I don't really have a problem with the statement, but I don't quite get it. 

6 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Then why trade a 3rd for Benjamin? Move up for Zay? They have given up premium picks to move up in the draft the last 2 years. If AJ Green would have cost "multiple" premium picks, then sure. If they weren't willing to give up a 2nd for Green, then shame on them. Especially with 89 million of cap room next year. 

I'm going to guess that's because they were bad moves he doesn't want to repeat.

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

There's a time when the Bills signed/traded for big names just to out asses in the seats.

I think he was saying they don't do that anymore.

These were my thoughts exactly!!

When I read McD's comment, I didnt think he was referencing specific trades. He was talking about dumb stuff the team would do in general in the past. 

Its like how we brought in T.O. All it was was a ploy to sell seats, nothing more. He wasnt gonna carry us to the playoffs. The team was still bad when he was here. 

Those days are over. Lets actually build a good team.