McDermott on no trades: "There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way."

YoloinOhio

22 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

McDermott on no trades: "There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way."

.....speaking from experience ?

The process clock is ticking down Sean.

As I think about it, we saw reports they were in on Sanu and Sanders - the real message here is they weren’t going to beat a second for Sanu or what Denver got for Sanders. 

2 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

5-2 don't make a season.

.....your posts alone fill the bill.

Why be so miserable? Come join the optimistic side. You'll feel better....

1 minute ago, GG said:

Same context as introducing a mid-season record against some of the worst early stage competition in the history of the franchise.

No it's not. Quit being ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The Chiefs are 0-3 against teams with a winning record.

Yeah, but Mahomes throws for like 400 yards a game so that makes it okay in some people's eyes. :rolleyes:

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I actually hope that McD isn't throwing shade at his predecessor 3 years ago. Enough time has passed that they should be far enough in the rear view to not concern yourself with.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

As I think about it, we saw reports they were in on Sanu and Sanders - the real message here is they weren’t going to beat a second for Sanu or what Denver got for Sanders. 

Not sure they had to beat those offers, probably just match them. Bills slot is probably going to be higher than the Niners or Pats*.

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Who picked them to win 6 games on this board? Every team is "still building"?

Go back and look at the threads where "success" was defined by most everyone as fighting for a playoff spot. However, I was particularly talking about the so called experts.

As far as the "still building" comment: Stop being so obtuse. As if there is no difference in the stage of building between teams.

Edited by billsfan1959

52 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Whaley's trades for players:

Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes

Kiko Alonso for Lesean McCoy

A fifth and a seventh for Matt Cassel and a sixth

Trade deadline trades: I'm fairly certain the number under Whaley was zero. 

Buddy Nix traded Sheppard for Hughes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/nfl/2013/04/29/bills-trade-lb-kelvin-sheppard-colts-lb-jerry-hughes

Edited by Rico

50 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Whaley's trades for players:

Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes

Kiko Alonso for Lesean McCoy

A fifth and a seventh for Matt Cassel and a sixth

Trade deadline trades: I'm fairly certain the number under Whaley was zero. 

He didn't say the poor decision making was ONLY trades.  I think he meant in more general terms, meaning there were lots of poor decisions (draft picks, GM hires, coach hires, coach firings, extensions, trades, FA acquisitions, cuts, etc.) overall in the past; not just trades.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I really don't see anything wrong with him saying what he said. I think when he talks about being irresponsible he's basically saying, yeah we did talk to some teams but the asking price would've really impacted future drafts and it would be irresponsible to give up what was being asked. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Isn’t offering a likely better pick  beating the offer? 

Not really. If team A and team B offer a 2nd rounder, that’s matching it. It’s safe to surmise that if NE and BUF each offered a 2nd that Sanu is in a Bills uniform now. SF would take the Bills pick based on probability but it’s not a sure thing. A 2nd rounder is a second rounder unless the Pats* own CIN’s 2nd round pick or something. 

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Why be so miserable? Come join the optimistic side. You'll feel better....

No it's not. Quit being ridiculous.

Why isn't it an apt comparison?  Jauron is a famously mediocre head coach, who once presided over a 13-3 team. 

What has McDermott done so far to prove that he can be an upper echelon coach?   The team is 5-2, with squeaky wins over bottom feeders and looked inept against a roiling Eagles squad.   They have yet to put together a complete game on both sides of the line.  That smacks of being average.

5 minutes ago, Rico said:

I view them more as a team, especially in the late Nix era. In 2013, I strongly believe that Whaley was running most things, not Nix, who I believe had basically checked out. 

51 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

If he blames the previous admin it looks like an excuse. If he blames Beane, it strains relationships. If he blames himself, he looks incompetent. 

I see it as a "we can collectively do better and need not be impulsive" statement.  It's not a papal decree.  Just a challenge to do better.

2 minutes ago, PIZ said:

He didn't say the poor decision making was ONLY trades.  I think he meant in more general terms, meaning there were lots of poor decisions (draft picks, GM hires, coach hires, coach firings, extensions, trades, FA acquisitions, cuts, etc.) overall in the past; not just trades.

Thank you. A lot of folks panties in a bunch about a vague reference to a couple past GMs that few on this board would rate highly.