ESPN: Bills know they must fix run defense

They’re correct. That 65 yard TD scamper was a dagger through the Bills heart. I was remember, geez, why is a RB outrunning every player on our D? We never came back after that and the outcome would’ve been different if it didn’t happen. Also, of note, we don’t have such a dagger in our backfield. 

8 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

They’re correct. That 65 yard TD scamper was a dagger through the Bills heart. I was remember, geez, why is a RB outrunning every player on our D? We never came back after that and the outcome would’ve been different if it didn’t happen. Also, of note, we don’t have such a dagger in our backfield. 

True, but the Allen fumble on the designed run to the right side changed the game. I HATE those calls except on very rare occasions. It should NOT be a part of the regular offense. Not just because of the fumbles, but because there needs to be more emphasis on keeping your most important player safe. He doesn’t have a baseball slide, he slides with his head up which invites further injury. 

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Bills know they must fix run defense after being ravaged by Eagles

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/33801/bills-know-they-must-fix-run-defense-after-being-ravaged-by-eagles

Home crowd?  From what I heard on TV there was more noise when Bills were on offense than on defense.

Yeah it was embarrassing for a 5-1 team at home to have that many visiting fans.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rocket94 said:

How are they going to fix the run defense with these players? Some of these guys are just not talented enough. 

It was fine til this past week’s game.  They indicated there were some fundamental breakdowns that they’ll address this week.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

I was at the game.  There were a lot of Eagles fans there.  More than any other opponents fans at home games so far this year imo

I watched the game from home and the Philly fans almost seemed to be in the first few rows across the entire stadium.  Seemed like there was a ton of Philly fans at the stadium watching from home. 

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

On that play Milano and Hyde somehow allowed themselves to be blocked by one player, at the same time. They were the last line of defense. Between that and the fumble just before halftime, we never recovered. Instead of us up 7-3 at half, we're down 11-7. Even with that long run, they would have been up only 10-7. That fumble was a killer.

It's a whole lot more likely they fix the defense than they do the offense despite coming out of the bye and yielding 21 to Miami.

The offense isn't capable of matching up with stronger offenses themselves.  Buffalo is constructed to win the close games, regardless of what the HC said at the combine this year.

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

We could use a younger Ted Washington right about now.

3 hours ago, H2o said:

Or Fat Pat :thumbsup:

Well...To be fair there's 31 other teams that could use either one of those two in their prime...They were both All Pro caliber DT's...Fantastic players...?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I hope scheme can fix it . Harrison Philips injury has definitely been noticed. I have to believe Beane has looked over the PS of every other team.

This has more to do with the fact that Peko & Star are terrible and Ed is undersized for a 1 tech and he's playing like a rookie. Jordan can't do it all. Throw in Edmunds gettin lost in the wash and big runs will start happening just like 2017....I'm so sick of the Bills playing poorly in the middle 3rd of the season. 

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

It was fine til this past week’s game.  They indicated there were some fundamental breakdowns that they’ll address this week.

I think part of the reason it seemed fine was the weak schedule. Football Outsiders had the Bills run defense ranked 23rd in DVOA, a next gen stat I admit I know very little about, going into the Eagles game. They have now fallen to 28th in the league.

3 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I was at the game.  There were a lot of Eagles fans there.  More than any other opponents fans at home games so far this year imo

True.

Regardless of that, the crowd was loud when the Bills were on defense.