ESPN: Bills know they must fix run defense

Bills know they must fix run defense after being ravaged by Eagles

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/33801/bills-know-they-must-fix-run-defense-after-being-ravaged-by-eagles

The Buffalo Bills' interior defensive line was, metaphorically, a closed door against the run in its first six games of the season, allowing 3.43 yards per carry against runs toward the left or right guards or up the middle. That average went up with Buffalo's 31-13 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday.

The Eagles sent running backs Jordan Howard and Miles Sanders into the heart of Buffalo's defensive line 11 times in the first half for 36 yards, but it took them only two plays in the second half to bust that proverbial door wide open.

After a 2-yard run from Howard to start the half, Sanders burst up the middle for a 65-yard touchdown that took a considerable amount of life out of the home crowd at New Era Field. From there, the Eagles attacked the interior 19 more times for 102 yards, including 16 interior rushes for 79 yards in the fourth quarter.

Home crowd?  From what I heard on TV there was more noise when Bills were on offense than on defense.

• Like (+1) 1

He is not talked about a lot on here because many probably don't know who he is, but we have a guy named Vincent Taylor on the practice squad who is a dominant run stuffer.  He came over from Miami a while back and has some games under his belt and is a supreme run defender.  May not have a complete game yet, but right now, we need a plugger in the middle. Phillips is greatly missed in this defense and Peko and Star just can't get the job done.  Not saying this guy is the answer, but I'd love to see him get a shot.   The last DT we got from Miami is sure working out well!

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/33801/bills-know-they-must-fix-run-defense-after-being-ravaged-by-eagles

Home crowd?  From what I heard on TV there was more noise when Bills were on offense than on defense.

You heard incorrectly.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, sven233 said:

He is not talked about a lot on here because many probably don't know who he is, but we have a guy named Vincent Taylor on the practice squad who is a dominant run stuffer.  He came over from Miami a while back and has some games under his belt and is a supreme run defender.  May not have a complete game yet, but right now, we need a plugger in the middle. Phillips is greatly missed in this defense and Peko and Star just can't get the job done.  Not saying this guy is the answer, but I'd love to see him get a shot.   The last DT we got from Miami is sure working out well!

There is a thread going dedicated to the idea of Vincent Taylor joining the roster. 

34 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I was at the game.  There were a lot of Eagles fans there.  More than any other opponents fans at home games so far this year imo

8 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Can't believe someone hasn't quoted Dave Wannstedt and just said they need to "fit it up."

So much investment in the defense over the course of 3 off-seasons and the run defense still needs help.  Goodness. 

For a change I agree with you. Quite frustrating (the run D, not the fact that I agree with you) 

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I know they need to write something, but this is NOT news to anyone who’s been watching! 

I hope they can patch it up for this season, get Harry back next year and add whatever we need. Run the ball, and stop the run. Old fashioned, I know.....

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You heard incorrectly.

Honestly I was disappointed at the fan ratio this game. The entire row behind me and in front of me were all Eagles fans. The lot was packed with Eagles fans as well. Obnoxious. I'd say this was the best opposition turnout I've seen at a game outside of Pittsburgh games.