Take Vincent Taylor off the practice squad. Activate him.

I read somewhere that Vincent Taylor was considered the best DL on Miami last year, and it wasn't clear why he was waived.  He's 6'3", 311, and had a couple sacks last year for the Phins.  There's a reason they took him, let's see what he can do.  He might be an answer.  Peko hasn't really been that effective.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

This probably would have already happened if not for Peko's personal family struggle.

Huh?  I certainly hope this organization isn't making personnel decisions based on the health of player family members.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Huh?  I certainly hope this organization isn't making personnel decisions based on the health of player family members.

Peko is a McD guy for sure. He’s Ben in the system and has put in the work. But I gotta see some production. Taylor deserves a shot.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

This probably would have already happened if not for Peko's personal family struggle.

Yes, I would like to see Taylor given a chance. But really, this is not fair or appropriate concerning Peko. He is there because of his time in the system, time to change that.

Edited by CSBill

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

He could have stayed on practice squad and his family would be helped.  They have him up on the 53 because they think he's an option that can help.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Is Taylor a 1 technique or a 3?  Don't know much about him.

Taylor's a 3-technique.

The reason Peko was activated and not Taylor -- aside from the fact that Peko has been with the team longer and likely knows the playbook better -- is that Peko was the practice squad's 1-tech while Taylor was its 3-tech.

I'm not saying Taylor CAN'T play 1-tech. I don't know enough about him as a player to say that he couldn't do that effectively. However, by trade and by skillset, he IS a 3-tech.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I thought the Bills would have activated Taylor before they settled on Peko.  I don't know whether Taylor is a zero, one or three tech DL, but I thought Peko is a 3 tech.  Taylor is bigger and stronger, and physically at least is a better fit for the nose position, the same position Harrison Phillips normally plays as a backup.I'm guessing the Bills activated Peko because he's been with the team longer and knows the system better.  The Bills coaching staff places high value on those qualities, but in this case I question whether it was the right choice.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I read somewhere that Vincent Taylor was considered the best DL on Miami last year, and it wasn't clear why he was waived.  He's 6'3", 311, and had a couple sacks last year for the Phins.  There's a reason they took him, let's see what he can do.  He might be an answer.  Peko hasn't really been that effective.  

Been saying this since they activated Peko. Peko is JAG. Not that Taylor is Sapp, but he’s got more bonafides than Peko. One of McD’s biggest weaknesses is sticking with people too long. 

Edited by TheProcess
  • Like (+1) 3

They're both practicing with the team. I think that if/when the coaches think that Taylor can help them more than Petko they will certainly activate him. I don't think anyone will scoop Petko up off waivers if they want to put him back on the PS.

Edited by vincec

39 minutes ago, Logic said:

Taylor's a 3-technique.

The reason Peko was activated and not Taylor -- aside from the fact that Peko has been with the team longer and likely knows the playbook better -- is that Peko was the practice squad's 1-tech while Taylor was its 3-tech.

I'm not saying Taylor CAN'T play 1-tech. I don't know enough about him as a player to say that he couldn't do that effectively. However, by trade and by skillset, he IS a 3-tech.

Thank you.' so many gut reactions here. it was about skillset. not emotional leanings . good lord
Peko was logical. Taylor will get his shot in time i feel.

14 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

This was in  an article I found on Taylor

from October 2018. 

Taylor produced 12 run stops on just 89 run-defense snaps, resulting in a run-stop percentage of 13.5 percent, the best mark ever recorded by a defensive tackle.

against what? context please!
but yes i like this kid too

The reasoning by everyone in this post makes sense.  But with Practice Squad guys like Taylor, I wonder:  if Taylor is such a dominant run stopper, which most (if not all) teams need, why is he sitting on the Bills' Practice Squad?  Why hasn't another team that knows of his run-stuffing prowess added him to their 53?  If folks here were saying "he's not that great, but he's the best option that we have," I would understand it better.  That's not what most of the above posts are saying.

17 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

This was in  an article I found on Taylor

from October 2018. 

Taylor produced 12 run stops on just 89 run-defense snaps, resulting in a run-stop percentage of 13.5 percent, the best mark ever recorded by a defensive tackle.

Pretty small sample size, no? Was this a season, career, 3 games, pre-season?