Clear Sign Beane Doesn't Think We Are Ready

Ghs24mike

35 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Regarding next year's schedule, it will be harder because we play the NFC West and the AFC West.  All that traveling is tough, and the Bills have historically been ineffective on the west coast.  

According to https://fbschedules.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/  we'll be at home for the Chiefs, Chargers, Rams, Seahawks, Dolphins, Jets, Patriots, and a team from the AFC North.  We'll travel to the 49ers, Cardinals, Broncos, Raiders, Dolphins, Jets, Patriots, and a team from the AFC South.  Considering the Bills will almost certainly finish #2 in the AFC East this year, those two unnamed teams will be very good.  

Some of those teams are going to be very tough, others are good now but trending down.  If it weren't for the travel, I'd say we should still be OK.  But the travel is going to make a difference.  I think 2019 is the year to make the playoffs and maybe win a game.  2020 will be a struggle.  2021 looks a lot better.

This makes a lot of sense. There will soon be calls for you to be banned!

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I think next year they will make some big moves. Next year the Super Bowl window opens. We have over $90 million in cap space and a full draft. They didn't want to mortgage the future this year, I get it.

Well said. Taking it a step further, I trust the GM to make the right picks in the draft. I also think some of these players will be available in FA like AJ Greene. Unless Cincy franchises him, which would just be beyond stupid. 

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I get that the trade deadline is exciting, but I didn't really think we'd be making a big splash by the trade deadline.

Yeah, a WR or big run-stuffing DT might have been nice.  But McDermott said in one of his PCs lately that the Bills really like the guys they have in the locker room, and that combined with the apparent ribbing Daboll got recently tells me that Beane and McDermott think their biggest issues are coaching and scheme.

The fact that the Bills didn't make a trade shouldn't remotely be an indication that this team isn't still competing for this year--afterall, if you believed that, you would inversely believe that McDermott and Beane thought the team was close 2 years ago when they traded for Benjamin, and who's buyin that?--it's just an indication that our coaches believe the onus is more on them in terms of preparation and scheme.

And looking at the Eagles game, how could you not agree to an extent?

Why wasn't the Defense prepared for all those screen passes?

Why wasn't Singletary mixed into the offense more? 

Why did we abandon the run game with Gore?

Why are you going for it on 4th and 10 in FG territory late in the 3rd Quarter when a Field Goal makes it a 1 score game?

So many questions from that game along with the previous Miami game that are largely questions of scheme and preparation rather than player talent.

I think McDermott & Co. have every intention of competing the rest of the year with the talent they have and believe they can hang with anybody with that talent, but there will be some significant adjustments in terms of playcalling, scheme, and player rotation.

Fret not.  These guys just like the locker room they've built and want to roll with that "us against the world mentality."  It might work.  It might not.  Doesn't mean we aren't competing  :thumbsup:

Just curious what the bolded statement is referring to. Ribbing from the fans and media? (Which I don't think Beane and McDermott would pay attention to.) Or are you talking about something team related that I just haven't heard about? But good post overall. I agree.

I think maybe, despite the rhetoric, the coaching staff took Philly a little too lightly, in the sense that, it seems like they thought with the weather, our defense, and the injuries and turmoil for Philly, they could play a safe, conservative game on offense and rely on the defense. But that plan didn't work out too well.

To me, that is on McDermott as the head guy for the overall game plan and effort, more than on Daboll (though he shares some of the blame as do the other coaches). Not to mention, the defense played as poorly as the offense. So, I'm not sure why Daboll is getting the majority of the blame from some fans. I also think some of it is just that we lost a little of our hunger with the Bye (maybe some of the guys thought the team had arrived already) and then we had to face two supremely desperate teams. It wasn't just that these teams' records were in jeopardy; in both situations, it was an ultimate pride game for those teams. And we weren't ready to match that level of animal backed into a corner desperation.

But having said all of that, I still have total faith in the talent on this team and in Beane and McDermott. And I'm still in Daboll's corner too. I think they'll get the ship righted. Even great teams in great season can have a bad loss or two due to one circumstance or another. Now I'm not saying we are a great team yet (but do think we are on the right road there) or a Super Bowl contender this year, but we are still 5-2 with a great shot at the playoffs and then who knows. Maybe this loss will galvanize the team like the Dallas loss did for Philly, they get their hunger back, and go on a nice run.

I am always amazed at how one loss (or a non-trade) can bring out the "fire everybody" crowd.

Edited by folz

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think next year they will make some big moves. Next year the Super Bowl window opens. We have over $90 million in cap space and a full draft. They didn't want to mortgage the future this year, I get it.

Perhaps Beane and McDermott see themselves ahead of schedule for what they are building. This early success can be seen as a bonus. They are not finished. Some teams rebuild in 2 years, the Bills are taking a little longer.

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Perhaps Beane and McDermott see themselves ahead of schedule for what they are building. This early success can be seen as a bonus. They are not finished. Some teams rebuild in 2 years, the Bills are taking a little longer.

...probably will have some well deserved extensions to consider financially as well..............

I promise you they tried. Either the price was too high or guys didn't wanna come here.

This team is not elite but with the schedule gods in our favor, this is a year that we should easily make playoffs. We are good enough to make a run with this roster, but if the penalties and TO's don't stop, it'll be 1-and-done.

16 hours ago, Logic said:

Please, oh please, brilliant one: Tell us who the Bills SHOULD have traded for that was going to magically improve their team to a considerable degree. 

Since Vonn Miller and DeAndre Hipkins weren't available, he wanted joe schmo and his brother steve.

• Like (+1) 1

2019 is about the Patriots and Chiefs, prior to a Mahomes injury at least. Brady will be done soon, and the Chiefs have loaded up for their 2 year window before Mahomes monster contract...

this season is about developing Josh’s game, and having another great draft and FA in 2020...

i like what I see in this FO