Clear Sign Beane Doesn't Think We Are Ready

Ghs24mike

I said it a while back that it would show where management thought the team was by what happened at trade deadline. I will say this. If the team doesn't make playoffs this year. This GM and head coach will have everything riding on Free agency next year and the draft with the results of next season determining their fate. They are lauded for their ability to evaluate talent and draft around here. Frankly I'm not sold. 

5 minutes ago, McBean said:

Draft capital>>> Rentals

If they are rentals I agree. Draft capital doesn't always turn into solid players. If we didn't think we could sign Green long term I get it. If we could have, but wouldnt give up a 1st for him then I think its a dumb move. (Aside from Cincy being stupid and not trading him anyways. I mean a 6th for a player that is walking after this year is better than nothing). Maybe Tampa wouldn't have taken a 1st for Mike Evans, but do you think it might have leaked the Bills were willing to offer a first for him? I am just shocked there wasn't a single DT out there that we could trade for. 

I told everybody that the Bills weren’t going to do a darn thing trade wise and I’m very happy about it.

There is a lot of room for this team to grow within and be a contender.

If they don’t win anything this year, they have a lot of money to spend in 2020 and they have draft capital in a strong 2020 draft class.

Win win

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Ghs24mike said:

Weakest the AFC has been in a long time. We have a 5-2 record staring 8-2 in the face. Patriots play a bunch of tough games down the stretch, but Beane decided not to risk our future on a small window of time. He is clearly saying this isn't our year. 

We need one more solid draft, and clear evidence Josh is our guy. New England and San Fran made trades. The two best teams in the league traded assets to win now.  New England gave up a high draft pick for Sonu because they feel confident they have a shot to win it all this year. Beane clearly doesn't think that. 

Disappointing, yet understandable. 

Gag...gag.....gonna trust the process for another year. 

Funny, didn't hear that at all. What I perceive is he expects us to make the playoffs and make the best push possible until we add more pieces next season using our existing picks instead of giving them away for the short term satisfaction of the fans. Every Bills fan would've signed up for 5-2 at this point regardless of schedule and what we know now. Stay the course. We'll need those picks and cap space for the year (2020 and beyond) that we are truly expecting to contend for a title.

Everyone wants the quick fix...  we already know that McBeane takes a measured approach.  IF something was there that fit and made sense, they would have done it.  But they have a plan and are sticking to it.  Sometimes the  best moves are trades that don't happen, we never hear about them of course.  But a good bargainer knows how to walk away from a deal, and I believe we are best served by Beane doing his thing, he has proven to be a dealer.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, njbuff said:

I told everybody that the Bills weren’t going to do a darn thing trade wise and I’m very happy about it.

There is a lot of room for this team to grow within and be a contender.

If they don’t win anything this year, they have a lot of money to spend in 2020 and they have draft capital in a strong 2020 draft class.

Win win

That was exactly my point ( said differently). This isn't the year and it is clear now. Could we improve internally and still win a game in the playoffs? Definitely. Have we been exposed two weeks in a row that we can't stop the run up the middle? Yes!

Anyone who figured this team was only 1-2 players away from the Super Bowl was kidding themselves.  Just like the people who have been overreacting to the Eagles game, and suddenly screaming we need to fire everyone and start over.

The 2019 Buffalo Bills were always about winning around 10 games, getting into the playoffs and seeing solid progress from the QB position.  We are very much on-pace to reach all of those goals.  If we can get to 11 wins, gain a victory over New England or get to the Divisional Round - that would be a nice bonus.

Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott are building this team to be a consistent year-to-year contender, who can eventually replace the Patriots at the top of the AFC.  They have spent 2 years gutting the roster of overpriced contracts, re-establishing a strong culture in the locker room, getting key cornerstone pieces - all while stockpiling more cap space and draft picks.  I don't think overpaying for an injured AJ Green or overrated Melvin Gordon fits into the puzzle.

In the offseason, I said that our front office was building a team the right way - as opposed to the hyped-up Jets and Browns.  Those teams made some nice draft picks, but then immediately went for broke trading for malcontents and dishing out stupid contracts.  We are only halfway though the season, but the evidence is continuing to pile-up that this assessment was correct.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Anyone with at least one working eye could see we werent a player or two away from a Superbowl. With that said Im pretty sure he wanted to make some moves but didnt find a deal that was worth it.

McBeane always looking to make the team better...but the price has to be right.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsbackto81 said:

Funny, didn't hear that at all. What I perceive is he expects us to make the playoffs and make the best push possible until we add more pieces next season using our existing picks instead of giving them away for the short term satisfaction of the fans. Every Bills fan would've signed up for 5-2 at this point regardless of schedule and what we know now. Stay the course. We'll need those picks and cap space for the year (2020 and beyond) that we are truly expecting to contend for a title.

Again, exactly my point. Unlike the Patriots or 49ers or Rams who think they can win it this year. He is being more conservative and not putting all our chips on the table this year. I don't think we are that far away and that an AJ Green and legit run stopping DT could put us in contention to win the AFC. Beane knows what he is doing and I am definitely a fan and want to win now, but I understand his approach. Sorry if that didnt come off in the original post.

I get that the trade deadline is exciting, but I didn't really think we'd be making a big splash by the trade deadline.

Yeah, a WR or big run-stuffing DT might have been nice.  But McDermott said in one of his PCs lately that the Bills really like the guys they have in the locker room, and that combined with the apparent ribbing Daboll got recently tells me that Beane and McDermott think their biggest issues are coaching and scheme.

The fact that the Bills didn't make a trade shouldn't remotely be an indication that this team isn't still competing for this year--afterall, if you believed that, you would inversely believe that McDermott and Beane thought the team was close 2 years ago when they traded for Benjamin, and who's buyin that?--it's just an indication that our coaches believe the onus is more on them in terms of preparation and scheme.

And looking at the Eagles game, how could you not agree to an extent?

Why wasn't the Defense prepared for all those screen passes?

Why wasn't Singletary mixed into the offense more? 

Why did we abandon the run game with Gore?

Why are you going for it on 4th and 10 in FG territory late in the 3rd Quarter when a Field Goal makes it a 1 score game?

So many questions from that game along with the previous Miami game that are largely questions of scheme and preparation rather than player talent.

I think McDermott & Co. have every intention of competing the rest of the year with the talent they have and believe they can hang with anybody with that talent, but there will be some significant adjustments in terms of playcalling, scheme, and player rotation.

Fret not.  These guys just like the locker room they've built and want to roll with that "us against the world mentality."  It might work.  It might not.  Doesn't mean we aren't competing  :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1