Drew Bledsoe debate topic

Always wondering when he came to Buffalo, there were two teams interested in him Buffalo and the Bengals.  But recall him telling Cinncy he wasn't interested, so he ended up here.

His first season here he started out great until around mid season when they played NE.  BB made him look terrible.  After that seemed like other teams took note of what BB did and tried some of that, (at that point BB wasn't yet labeled a genius) but seemed weren't 100% convinced that was the key to stopping Bledsoe.   NE played Buffalo again around week 16 or so, BB did the same and again stopped him cold.  After that other teams copied the blueprint and Bledsoe was done.

But what if he had instead gone to the Bengals.  The AFC east had just played the crossover games against the AFC north the year prior so would have been at least two year before he faced BB and would have only been one game and was late in the season they played.  Would he have instead looked much better as he had in the first few games he played in Buffalo and maybe had three more decent years?

I Guess the way I look at it is; who in that draft would you have picked higher?

for me Strahan and maybe one or two of the linemen.

Even in a redo Bledsoe is a top 5-10 pick in that draft. 

He’ll probably go in the books as Stafford, Boomer, Simms, Palmer McNabb type guy.

Nearly 200 starts at QB is respectable. 

He was one of the top 4-5 QBs in the NFL for a stretch of 4-5 years in the mid-to-late 90s, but he really fizzled out during his second act.  He was Matthew Stafford before Matthew Stafford.  Not a bust, but not HOF quality.  Just a good player with a laser arm and zero mobility.  

No one seems to accept that Drew was done/fork in it done, when the Sith lord traded him to Buffalo, were he had eight/8 good games, and then wilted away. Career wise he was a bit above average overall. Never rose to the heights that his fans wanted to see.  Performed as expected for most high pick QBs. 

the career totals are skewed because of the gaudy numbers today's no touch league allows guys to rack up, but looking at top 10 finishes shows how good he was

7x Top 10 in yards:  1,2,3,3,4,6,6,8

7x Top 10 in TD:  3,3,4,7,8,10,10

9x Top 10 in completions:  1,1,2,3,6,7,8,8,8

8x Top 10 in game winning drives:  1,2,2,2,3,3,4,4,4,5

16th all time in yards

21st all time in TD

13th all time in completions

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Damn shame that Mo Lewis couldn’t finish the job. :( 

stay classy...?

Edited by Runninrams

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think overall, Drew Bledsoe had a pretty decent NFL career.  He had some good years but also a lot of meh years...and bad years.

He was the #1 overall pick.  Do you guys think in his overall career, he was a disappointment?  Certainly not a bust but not having the career you want from a #1 overall.

I have arguments for both.  

On one hand, he did play a big part in the change of the Pats.  They were absolutely terrible before he got there.  A few years later, brought them to a Super Bowl.  

On the other hand...he had a lot of bad years.  He started struggling towards the end of his career in NE and Belicheck saw it...which is why he felt good enough to trade him inside his division.

His Bills career was a disappointment as was his career in Dallas....he was still relatively young when he came to Buffalo too.

I am going to say yes...he was a disappointment.  At #1 overall as a QB, I think you're supposed to be the guy the holds that position for 10+ years and you make a significant difference and didn't have enough of that.

Overall for his career - he should not be considered a disappointment.  He was above average for a number of years for NE and lead them to a Super Bowl and a number of playoff appearances.  

He was named to multiple Pro Bowls and one of the youngest players to start in the Pro Bowl.

I think he was in decline when he got destroyed by the Jets and that decline continued in Buffalo and Dallas, but to me he was not a disappointment - Rick Mirer was a disappointment - Bledsoe was good enough to win. 

4 hours ago, Rob's House said:

The Bills completely mishandled him. Bledsoe was a stationary pocket passer with a great arm and ability to spread the ball around, but he wasn't buying any extra time. He could be effective in the right offense, but the Bills weren't interested in running that offense.

He did really well in those first 8 games, and then the opponents figured out they could kill the Bill's offense and Bledsoe by blitzing.  The coaching staff responded to the challenge with ............crickets.

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Bledsoe's lifetime record and numbers vs. teams with a winning record was truly abysmal. Unfortunately, I can't find that information on the internet anymore, so I'd have to reconstruct it from PFR. Too much work, but trust me, it's true. 

A good method when Defense doesn't matter.

He was the most maligned QB since Joe Ferguson.

Edited by Greybeard

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Drew sucked after his first 8 games, cost us a #1, and set this franchise back years.

My friend was a waitress in Boston when Drew was on Pats, and Drew would continually stiff her, he tried to get her fired, was rude to her.  If she ever hears the name Bledsoe, she gets so angry.  Zolak was banging my friends roommate, so they all would ride home together.  She said Zolak said Drew pulled that ***** everywhere.  

Great Story, but Zolak is known to be a complete buttwad (want to go so much stronger) and is so full of garbage - this story tells me that Drew was probably awesome.

I known he used to come to the Galleria late as it was closing and was nice as can be to my wife when shopping - she meet him a couple of times, but the store did not require tipping - so I can’t say anything about that. 

41 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Cutting Drew With Dignity

The best thread title this board has ever seen

And Cutting Drew With Dignity had one of the best lines I’ve read “are you missing a chromosome or something”?

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think overall, Drew Bledsoe had a pretty decent NFL career.  He had some good years but also a lot of meh years...and bad years.

He was the #1 overall pick.  Do you guys think in his overall career, he was a disappointment?  Certainly not a bust but not having the career you want from a #1 overall.

On one hand, he did play a big part in the change of the Pats.  They were absolutely terrible before he got there.  A few years later, brought them to a Super Bowl.  

On the other hand...he had a lot of bad years.  He started struggling towards the end of his career in NE and Belicheck saw it...which is why he felt good enough to trade him inside his division.

His Bills career was a disappointment as was his career in Dallas....he was still relatively young when he came to Buffalo too.

I am going to say yes...he was a disappointment.  At #1 overall as a QB, I think you're supposed to be the guy the holds that position for 10+ years and you make a significant difference and didn't have enough of that.

There have been bigger busts in the league, but overall he was a disappointment.

He's the very epitome of a jock - entitled, arrogant, always thought he was better than he actually was and unlike the greats didn't have the work ethic. Pats sucked in 2000 and early 2001...and then he gets hurt and the team IMMEDIATELY is great when a second-year, unathletic 6th round pick replaces him.

Belichick traded him to a division rival IN HIS PRIME because he knew exactly what he was.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

After his first year they gutted his OL (J. Jennings and R. Brown left) and dumped his #2 WR (who had 96 catches) and #1 TE. 

Bills did him no favors.

Bledsoe had elite arm strength and God- like deep ball accuracy. 

If he only had a brain.

13 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think he was better than a “bust” but then again I’m not sure if he ever completely lived up to the hype of a #1 overall pick.  I would put him in the same category as a Matthew Stanford or an Alex Smith to a lesser extent. 

A lot of Bills fans were talking about Bledsoe with him making an appearance at the game Sunday.  It’s funny how many people online were like “I knew it was a bad trade.  Why would Belichick trade a QB in his own division.”

This is revisionist history 101.  Back in 2002 the Bills were coming off a 3-13 year and saw the any optimism for Rob Johnson as franchise QB go down in flames.   

When the trade was made, the Bills fan base and media were PUMPED!  We had thought we were getting a great QB.  People were very excited for the Bledsoe Era.  Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise