Drew Bledsoe debate topic

14 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Drew came back from one of the hardest hits in NFL history, and damage was horrible as well

That and the Jim Burt and Leonard Marshall hits on Montana were the worst

the concept of body blows ending a fight in boxing seem worse to me than head shot KOs

I've been hit with a liver shot and you just can't recover.  You just crumble and are helpless.  

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think overall, Drew Bledsoe had a pretty decent NFL career.  He had some good years but also a lot of meh years...and bad years.

He was the #1 overall pick.  Do you guys think in his overall career, he was a disappointment?  Certainly not a bust but not having the career you want from a #1 overall.

I have arguments for both.  

On one hand, he did play a big part in the change of the Pats.  They were absolutely terrible before he got there.  A few years later, brought them to a Super Bowl.  

On the other hand...he had a lot of bad years.  He started struggling towards the end of his career in NE and Belicheck saw it...which is why he felt good enough to trade him inside his division.

His Bills career was a disappointment as was his career in Dallas....he was still relatively young when he came to Buffalo too.

I am going to say yes...he was a disappointment.  At #1 overall as a QB, I think you're supposed to be the guy the holds that position for 10+ years and you make a significant difference and didn't have enough of that.

I think overall, and in Bledsoe's era certainly, it was a rarity to have a QB play more than an 8-10 year career.   The hits were harder and the protections were less. So if a team got 8-10 years of play out of a QB, that was good.  The Pats got 8 before they moved on from Bledsoe. 

Was Jim Kelly a disappointment?  Only an 11 year career and obviously falling off for the last 3-4 of it.

The underlying question in your post, is "what is a disappointment" in a QB?  Anyone except Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I've been hit with a liver shot and you just can't recover.  You just crumble and are helpless.  

in a boxing/combat sporting event?

i've read a few interviews with those put away by them to put it up there with pain, and you have to go through it...

16 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Drew came back from one of the hardest hits in NFL history, and damage was horrible as well

That and the Jim Burt and Leonard Marshall hits on Montana were the worst

the concept of body blows ending a fight in boxing seem worse to me than head shot KOs

If I remember correctly, they said that shot almost killed him.  Think about that, a perfectly legal hit and it came dangerously close to ending his life.   I’m shocked he wanted to keep playing after that, I know I would have stopped.

Just now, row_33 said:

in a boxing/combat sporting event?

i've read a few interviews with those put away by them to put it up there with pain, and you have to go through it...

In kickboxing.  Both on kicks...I left my midsection open protecting my head and then bam.  The funny part is when it hits, it takes about 2 seconds to feel the pain....it's delayed.  Then you crumble.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think overall, and in Bledsoe's era certainly, it was a rarity to have a QB play more than an 8-10 year career.   The hits were harder and the protections were less. So if a team got 8-10 years of play out of a QB, that was good.  The Pats got 8 before they moved on from Bledsoe. 

Was Jim Kelly a disappointment?  Only an 11 year career and obviously falling off for the last 3-4 of it.

The underlying question in your post, is "what is a disappointment" in a QB?  Anyone except Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees?

Doesn't have to be legendary elite but someone who was at least your franchise QB for a good period of time and someone that would win you the big games.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

In kickboxing.  Both on kicks...I left my midsection open protecting my head and then bam.  The funny part is when it hits, it takes about 2 seconds to feel the pain....it's delayed.  Then you crumble.

a few injuries were more gruesome in the NFL but they included the effects of gravity and weight-bearing limitations on leg bones

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Doesn't have to be legendary elite but someone who was at least your franchise QB for a good period of time and someone that would win you the big games.

Not intending to be cute, but that begs the question what does "good period of time" and "win you the big games" mean?  Win superbowls?  Win championships?  One?  Multiple?  4th Q comebacks?  Whether a QB gets to the big games in the first place depends so much on the team around him.

As we've seen from Allen, 4th Q comebacks are a double-edged sword if your guy causes the need for them in the first place.

If you honestly think he’s a disappointment your standards are impossible for QB.

If I draft a QB #1 overall and this is his accomplishments I’m pretty happy:

SB appearance 

4x Pro Bowl

Passing yards leader in 1994

2x Division Titles

4x Playoff appearances in 8 years as starter (I don’t count the year Brady took over)

5 of 8 season .500 or better

2x 4000 yd seasons something a Bills QB hasn’t done in forever

Virtually no team would pass up that type

of guarantee at QB for a decade compared to the alternative.

Drew Bledsoe is IMO the standard for what you can reasonably hope for from a #1 overall pick at QB. Productive, wins, SB, and a decade of stability.

With today’s rules and inflated numbers people unfairly look at the past and criticize. Bledsoe was a top 10 guy for his time and when the Bills got him the hype was legitimate given his track record up to that point. As others have pointed out also he was a Pro Bowler when it was a true honor not half the leagues QB get the invite due to everyone declining it.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not intending to be cute, but that begs the question what does "good period of time" and "win you the big games" mean?  Win superbowls?  Win championships?  One?  Multiple?  4th Q comebacks?  Whether a QB gets to the big games in the first place depends so much on the team around him.

As we've seen from Allen, 4th Q comebacks are a double-edged sword if your guy causes the need for them in the first place.

Can you please stop being my ex-wife?  

I can remember the 2002 offseason. Ticket sales were abysmal going into that year. I wonder if the team would have survived in Buffalo if they didn't make that move. It could be our team in LA instead of St. Louis. Unfortunately, I believe this is what threw us into the draught. Instead of just tanking, and getting Carson Palmer in the draft the following year, or a top 3 QB in 2004. We spent the next 15 years making moves to just generate buzz and hype, as opposed to building a solid foundation on the team. So many seasons between 6 and 9 wins, instead of doing what was necessary. 

Drew sucked after his first 8 games, cost us a #1, and set this franchise back years.

My friend was a waitress in Boston when Drew was on Pats, and Drew would continually stiff her, he tried to get her fired, was rude to her.  If she ever hears the name Bledsoe, she gets so angry.  Zolak was banging my friends roommate, so they all would ride home together.  She said Zolak said Drew pulled that ***** everywhere.  

42 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Archie Manning was worthy of so much more support around him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Switch to a better quality whiskey.  ‘Old Panther’ just doesn’t cut it.

(Remember the label?:  ‘Old Panther - Bottled Yesterday’.)

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

He reminds me of Matts Stafford or Ryan, currently. Good enough to have to keep.

I know some on here thought he sucked out loud as a Bill but he is the reason we got to 8-8 his first year. We had NO Defense. Because of the dearth of competent QBs after Kelly , believing we had a chance on third and long was a breath of fresh air.

After Hoodie got through with him that second year he was atrocious.

I remember reading on here, from a NE fan, a warning about him being a bonehead .

Ugh - Drew Bledsoe! When it was announced that he was traded to Buffalo I was pretty upset because he never worried me as an opposing quarterback. He was slow of foot and slow of mind. A friend of mine gave me a Drew Bledsoe bobblehead (wearing the stupid "yoke" uniform with dreaded #11) , thinking I would like it. I didn't, but I kept it on my desk until a crucial game when Bledsoe threw the ball out of bounds on a last-ditch fourth quarter forth down to try and win the game! I think he said after the game that he had lost track of the down. Moron! I took that stupid bobblehead outside and ran over it several times in my driveway. 

The Bills' Drew Bledsoe Experiment was a waste of time, money and energy. It only benefitted New England and I'm sure Bill Belichick would often chuckle to himself that he pulled one over on us.

• Haha (+1) 1