Game changer needed

I was thinking this morning after thinking back to the pack chief game the other night specifically Aaron Jones that we are definitely lacking a game changing player. And maybe the rumblings for Melvin Gordon started to make a bit more sense to me.

I think myself, maybe others ..Or maybe not . I got pretty hyped about some of the changes in the offense this offseason possibly thinking it could put us on par with some of the better offenses.

But I think I need to step back and realize we still have a rookie QB in his his first full year as a starter surrounded by new players but complimentary pieces..not game changers. 

Our running backs to me are are more game managers. Gore has been a fantastic hard runner for us. singletary has shown some flashes in his little time but I wonder if opposing teams see them  as the type of players with the ability at any time to break something open at any time. Can motor even be a full time back or will he always be a more complimentary back?

Do any of you feel either of these guy can single handily Change  a game at any time?  Maybe we just need to see more of Motor. Maybe he can be that guy. But Could Gordon be that guy for a second or third rounder?? I’m not sure what value the Chargers are looking for. 

Same at our Wr position. John brown is solid and clearly our number 1 right now for us. But I’m not sure he’s that player who can just go off at any time. I think Brown would be a very scary number two with a true number one threat. Beasley would be a very nice third option and then our fourth being duke, Isaiah would be solid four depth options.

TE is a tough position, maybe only a handful of greats out there. So I do think we can be successful rolling with Tyler and Dawson. I don’t think find better here without drafting a really top prospect. 

I will be interested in seeing if anything goes down today. I don’t think Beane gives anyone a first or second.  Can someone be had for a third and more? I think for the most part He will continue to to follow his plan to build through the draft. Would Sanu or Sanders really have been a difference maker for us? I don’t think they would be anything more than another option. I still like Green for the right price. I think his personality fits exactly what they look for and can be a type of player that needs to be accounted for. But if asking price is too much I don’t think we make a move for Wr. 

I also don’t think he gives up assets and touches the defensive side of the ball this year. We roll with what we have and try to figure it out. 

At some point though I think we need to find that guy who is just super scary when he gets his hands on the ball with the ability to bust one open at any time. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think Beane has said how he believes you build a sustainable franchise.  He will focus on building through the draft, and use FA to fill in pieces.  I would be shocked if he trade high picks on a FA at this point in the season.  Might use picks from 3 on down to bring a guy in, but not the first or second round.

• Like (+1) 7

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think Beane has said how he believes you build a sustainable franchise.  He will focus on building through the draft, and use FA to fill in pieces.  I would be shocked if he trade high picks on a FA at this point in the season.  Might use picks from 3 on down to bring a guy in, but not the first or second round.

Right. This is not a team that is one player away from being a Super Bowl contender and I don't see Beane trading away high draft picks to acquire a player to put them over the top this year. I have no doubt he is always looking to improve the team and if he can make a deal for a player or players that will help this team this year and beyond, for picks in the 3-7 round range, he will do it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Right. This is not a team that is one player away from being a Super Bowl contender and I don't see Beane trading away high draft picks to acquire a player to put them over the top this year. I have no doubt he is always looking to improve the team and if he can make a deal for a player or players that will help this team this year and beyond, for picks in the 3-7 round range, he will do it. 

Looking at our 2nd round draft choices over the last 10 years, why not trade a 2nd round pick for an established player? Dion Dawkins and Cody Ford are the only 2nd round picks still on the team drafted between 2010-2019.

The only game changer we need is for Boy Wonder to retire. Then almost every team has a shot to make the playoffs except Miami, as with too big of names, you often sacrifice on the team elsewhere as there is only so much  only to pay your team. NE is often without many big names. If it were not for Tommy taking pennies on the dollar year after year, to spread around to his Babes, for the sake of his team, they would be less successful. How many unselfish players are like that these days? I would rather have a team of many above average, hard working and unselfish players that buy into the system, than a few ‘I” or “me’ prima Donnas who divide the team. I suppose one might argue pick a nice and unselfish prima Donna. Unfortunately, that rarely exists.

Edited by BillsDude

I love these posts as if people assume game changers are everywhere and teams just choose to ignore them for meh players.  

Those who have game changers rarely trade them and if they do, it’s for a kings ransom or because they are a locker room cancer.  

In the draft, that’s what everyone is trying to find.  No takes a player in the first three rounds hoping they don’t show up on the stat sheet.  

Find me a team who says “nah, I don’t want a Moss, give me a Beasley.”

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, John Gianelli said:

Looking at our 2nd round draft choices over the last 10 years, why not trade a 2nd round pick for an established player? Dion Dawkins and Cody Ford are the only 2nd round picks still on the team drafted between 2010-2019.

That’s due to the regime change, not a talent void in the second round. Those picks are extremely valuable. 

24 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I love these posts as if people assume game changers are everywhere and teams just choose to ignore them for meh players.  

Those who have game changers rarely trade them and if they do, it’s for a kings ransom or because they are a locker room cancer.  

In the draft, that’s what everyone is trying to find.  No takes a player in the first three rounds hoping they don’t show up on the stat sheet.  

Find me a team who says “nah, I don’t want a Moss, give me a Beasley.”

You are correct and I agree with you on a lot of this, and I love what our front office is doing. I love their direction and philosophy and they are going the right way with things. I love the players they signed I think they are better than meh. No issues on the coaching and gm front from me. 

I also agree on the draft but very often teams seem to outsmart themselves based on need. . Deandre hopkins was selected 27th, if you look at the 26 picks before just looking at the names drafted and I wonder how many of them are still even around..

I guess I would like to hit on one of those players at some point on the offensive side of the ball. We seem to find good ones on the defensive side!

I agree this team needs a big time game changer on offense. It could make a big difference.

I think Josh Allen needs a strong running game to take some pressure off him but that doesn’t seem like what they want to do so who knows?

Beane is probably just playing The Price is Right and cherishing those draft pics

You can get a talented WR but can the QB get him the ball enough?   The Bills don't need to get all gimmicky on offense but some of those plays earlier in the year to the speedster, McKenzie were great.   That rookie RB for Philadelphia with that speed really hurt.  Get some fast guys out there please and get the ball in their hands.

Bring in the three beat WRs, RBs TEs, Olinemen in the league and it won't change a thing if the O coordinator continues to call an incomprehensible game and the QB remains mediocre. You want a trade that might make a genuine impact on the offense? It's rumored Bridgewater might be available. Any change other than QB and maybe O coordinator is just rearranging those ol' deck chairs again.

Edited by yungmack

3 hours ago, TroutDog said:

That’s due to the regime change, not a talent void in the second round. Those picks are extremely valuable. 

I recognize the regime change factor, but let's ignore that for the moment and just go on our track record over the past ten years. With our second round picks, you have a 20% chance of landing a decent offensive lineman. You have an 80% chance of getting someone who marginally contributes, or gets shipped out.

5 hours ago, John Gianelli said:

Why should Beane and his staff look at the last 10 years?  They have been here for 2.  The other guys' track record doesn't concern them.

13 minutes ago, John Gianelli said:

I recognize the regime change factor, but let's ignore that for the moment and just go on our track record over the past ten years. With our second round picks, you have a 20% chance of landing a decent offensive lineman. You have an 80% chance of getting someone who marginally contributes, or gets shipped out.

But that track record only applies to equivalent events.  You have a 0% chance of Beane thinking another man's draft board predicts his success.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why should Beane and his staff look at the last 10 years?  They have been here for 2.  The other guys' track record doesn't concern them.

But that track record only applies to equivalent events.  You have a 0% chance of Beane thinking another man's draft board predicts his success.

Maybe this puts it in a different perspective. I'm not looking at it from Beane's perspective. I'm looking at it from a Bills fan perspective. The previous decade, you get three quality players in the second round, Jairus Byrd, Aaron Schobel and Chris Kelsay. The previous decade to that, Peerless Price, Phil Hansen, and Carwell Gardner. You have to go back to the 80s before you hit Thurman, Odomes and Talley. Even in your best decade of drafting, you have only a 30% chance of getting a stellar player in the 2nd round. Only in the 70s do you have four top-quality 2nd round picks, Smerlas, Haslett, Devlin and McKenzie. And going back that far, remember there were fewer teams in the league, so you had a better chance of getting a good player in the 2nd round. For every Thurman Thomas picked, you get Glen Lott and Mark Trynowicz. For every Phil Hansen, you get Lonnie Johnson and Travares Tillman.  Even if Beane ends up being as good as Bill Polian or John Butler, you have many more misses than hits in the second round.

12 minutes ago, John Gianelli said:

Maybe this puts it in a different perspective. I'm not looking at it from Beane's perspective. I'm looking at it from a Bills fan perspective. The previous decade, you get three quality players in the second round, Jairus Byrd, Aaron Schobel and Chris Kelsay. The previous decade to that, Peerless Price, Phil Hansen, and Carwell Gardner. You have to go back to the 80s before you hit Thurman, Odomes and Talley. Even in your best decade of drafting, you have only a 30% chance of getting a stellar player in the 2nd round. Only in the 70s do you have four top-quality 2nd round picks, Smerlas, Haslett, Devlin and McKenzie. And going back that far, remember there were fewer teams in the league, so you had a better chance of getting a good player in the 2nd round. For every Thurman Thomas picked, you get Glen Lott and Mark Trynowicz. For every Phil Hansen, you get Lonnie Johnson and Travares Tillman.  Even if Beane ends up being as good as Bill Polian or John Butler, you have many more misses than hits in the second round.

I grasp the logic you’re trying to lay out but you can’t look at it based solely on the Bills history, you have to look at league history for the second round. 

Not to be rude but your argument is weak and not thought through in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, BillsDude said:

The only game changer we need is for Boy Wonder to retire. Then almost every team has a shot to make the playoffs except Miami, as with too big of names, you often sacrifice on the team elsewhere as there is only so much  only to pay your team. NE is often without many big names. If it were not for Tommy taking pennies on the dollar year after year, to spread around to his Babes, for the sake of his team, they would be less successful. How many unselfish players are like that these days? I would rather have a team of many above average, hard working and unselfish players that buy into the system, than a few ‘I” or “me’ prima Donnas who divide the team. I suppose one might argue pick a nice and unselfish prima Donna. Unfortunately, that rarely exists.

I would rather just focus on talent and ability on the field.  Find the guys who have it, and try to employ as many of them as possible.

When you begin to see a guy doesn't have it, move on.