Is it time for a dome?

Big Blitz

2 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

NFW. Outdoor stadium is an advantage, a dome is not.

When I think of football being played indoors, I think of watching a baseball game at Sky Dome in Toronto, which I've done many times.  It's just the worst possible atmosphere and it totally kills the experience of a "day at the ball park."

It's horrible!

The NFL should have a rule that says "no domes allowed" and "must play on real grass."

If that means in harsh climates the field is a dirt patch come December, so be it.

Keep it real!

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

On Sunday, for whatever reasons, the Eagles managed their game plan and the weather better than the Bills.  And I recent years "bad" weather conditions, whether snow, cold, or wind, have not provided the Bills with any kind of advantage.  The snow game with the Colt is another recent example.  Where was the advantage playing a dome team in snow and just squeaking out a win?  In this era, teams are better prepared, cold weather gear has improved from better and more usable insulating materials like gloves and under-garments, and sideline heaters and heated benches remove much of the discomfort.  It might have helped the teams of the 90's but they had more talent relative to most of their opponents in a non-salary cap era.   

My suspicion is ownership, the state, and county are going to propose and pursue a downtown retractable roof stadium focused on efforts to re-develop the downtown area and perhaps integrate as much as possible with Harbor Center.  Maybe the Bills retain their training facilities in Orchard Park or they also move downtown?

Many like the suburban stadium for its uniqueness, the atmosphere of the game, and tailgating.  Some of that would be lost with a downtown stadium.  But you have to remember that "Rich" stadium (I think it was the first NFL stadium that sold naming rights) was built at a time when businesses and residents were fleeing the inner cities because of social and economic deterioration.  But today's younger generations don't share their parents or grand-parents abandoning of the inner city but rather have more of an affinity for the city rather than suburbs so the trend seems to be reversing.  As time moves forward this trend will only get stronger.    

But there is absolutely nothing that says for a fact a downtown stadium will rejuvenate Downtown

It doenst guarente a boom in the economy or anything else

And buffalo is already a historically beautiful city that doesn't need it. The city is absolutely perfect the way it is rn. It doesn't need to be revitalized, it's been happening for 20 years without a stadium

Buffalo doesn't need to be like every other NFL city..  it needs to be Buffalo

Edited by Buffalo716

16 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

No!

Football is an outdoor game. Weather didn't stop the 90s Bills!

Patriots see fine with it too as does Green Bay 

The issue isn't snow or rain, it's the wind. The Ralph is actually built below ground so wind whips around field level like a tornado.

They need to make a new one. Help the QB out. 

3 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

Tell that to Miami, Houston, Tampa, Jax, etc, when they have to play in 20 degrees and snow. It doesn't happen a lot but when it does, it's a big advantage.

I mean 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

But there is absolutely nothing that says for a fact a downtown stadium will rejuvenate Downtown

It doenst guarente a boom in the economy or anything else

And buffalo is already a historically beautiful city that doesn't need it. The city is absolutely perfect the way it is rn. It doesn't need to be revitalized, it's been happening for 20 years without a stadium

Buffalo doesn't need to be like every other NFL city..  it needs to be Buffalo

I agree with this. We definitely need a new stadium or an update, but it shouldn't be in the city. If it's on the outskirts like the Titans stadium, that could work.

16 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I’d be cool with a dome. Something like Lucas Oil Stadium wouldn’t be bad.

Brother-in-law lives down in Indiana, said that stadium is incredible.

I'd be on board for something like that. Retractable roof for sure because WNY does get some awesome fall days. And I'm of the mind where I don't really think bad weather helps a home team from an area where the weather can get crazy. If it's windy, snowing/raining/sleeting, whatever, it's a detriment for both teams. Doesn't benefit the home team just because it's their stadium. 

And I'm pretty sure whenever the Pegula's do break ground on a new stadium, it's gonna be a multi-purpose facility that's gonna get used more than eight times a year.

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

Tell that to Miami, Houston, Tampa, Jax, etc, when they have to play in 20 degrees and snow. It doesn't happen a lot but when it does, it's a big advantage.

The Bills record at home in December vs the Dolphins since 2009 in 3-2, not 5-0. Didn't a dome team like the Colts almost beat us in a snow storm in 2017. It's 2019. NFL teams are not neutralized because it's chilly or snowing.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

6 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I absolutely hate the idea of a dome, and any thought that a Super Bowl will come here is a fantasy. 

Domes are awful, look horrible on TV, and feel like playing in a basement. Just watch a Saints game. They look like they take place at 2:30 in the morning on a green outdoor carpet from the hardware store stretched over concrete. It's dark, dreary, and hard to watch. 

Also, "retractable roof" is just another way of saying "roof that is always closed." It's pointless and adds hundreds of millions to the cost. 

A dome itself pretty much doubles the cost of the stadium. A simple cost/benefit analysis is enough to see that whatever benefits come from playing in a basement (at the worst) or an airplane hangar with the front door open (at the best) are outweighed by the ridiculous costs associated with ruining the experience. 

Steelers, Browns, Bears, Bengals, Chiefs, Packers, Patriots, Ravens, Eagles, Bills... all outdoor teams that play in winter weather. 

A new stadium will cost plenty without a roof of any kind. A roof doubles the cost and ruins the experience. 

Domes are no fun.  I don't even like sky boxes.  I could never see the Packers, Bears, or Steelers in a dome.   If I want to watch a game inside, I'll stay home. 

55 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Why bother making weather nice for opposing fans like in Eagles game?

I say if it’s an Eagle’s game....their fans stand outside in the cold rain! But Santa can come inside.  ?

6 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

is there really actual talk about Kansas City building a new indoor stadium for their franchise quarterback? lol

edit:  Just googled around and couldnt find one grain of sand of truth to this.

Nothing official just fan/media talk I saw on the internets or social media.    

I found this tho:  

"It’s not every year that the Chiefs are playing games in mid-January. But with the Patrick Mahomes-era just beginning, some fans are hoping home games in January at Arrowhead Stadium could become the new normal.

And many believe it may be time to give the rolling roof a second look."

https://fox4kc.com/2019/01/16/with-frigid-temperatures-ahead-chiefs-fans-reminisce-on-arrowhead-rolling-roof-idea/

100 percent guarantee if they play a home game this January and its blizzard like (ok...just windy and snow) and get hammered by the Colts or Jags or the Bills! running games.....and they can't throw it...they'll have a dome by September.  

The only thing bad about New Era is that they built the stadium East-West in a direction of the major lake wind.   My understanding is that they wanted to build it North-South to blunt the wind but discovered a cemetery when building.  The crazy lake wind has too much of an impact on some games, like last weekend.  

Serious question. I always hear how the Super Bowl bills knew how to win in cold weather and they didn't care about how bad the weather was. I was pretty young when the bills were in the super bowls (just before my teenage years). I could be wrong, but I don't remember alot of bad weather games then. So, my question is, how many bad weather games did that bills team play in? Did they play in that many at home? I don't remember