Is it time for a dome?

Big Blitz

Funny - how did our open air stadium FAVOR US two days ago?

In reality, the NFL is a for profit industry. The owners will do everything possible to maximize PROFITS.

Our message board protests mean nothing.

Carry on...

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I heard a few weeks back there is talk in KC of getting a dome in order to maximize Mahomes for the next 10 years.

I am sure there are other details being discussed by parties involved, but if fatass Andy Reid and Clark Hunt made this argument to me, I would throw them down the nearest staircase.

7 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I have always firmly been in the absolutely not column for this.  I love the look of the snow games.  The weather in a way brings the fans together and we get crazier especially when we're good.  We wear it as a badge of honor.  I was at the coldest game on record vs the Jets I think it was in 1993.  I was at the comeback game.  My parents had season tickets in the upper deck in the early 90s.  Happiest moments of my childhood was going to those games.  The sweet spot years of becoming a fan.  So I get it.  

But if the game is changing, why are we not considering this especially in an area where the wind is all to common a problem and thus impacting the passing games you want to build?  This is not an overreaction to yesterday either.  It's a serious question.

I heard a few weeks back there is talk in KC of getting a dome in order to maximize Mahomes for the next 10 years.  They'd have to get started immediately.  I know....other cold weather cities survive.  But they don't have the wind we do.  Chicago does.  Look how historically prolific their offenses have been.  Green Bay it's just cold.  Never really see wind as an issue.  Same Seattle.  Just rain....and peak Seattle won with D and Lynch.  

Its 2020.  Players don't like this weather and WRs aren't exactly lining up to come here.  The early 90s Bills loaded with Hall of Fame talent has been the only modern day offense that was able to play in the weather we get consistently.  But you can't stack talent like that anymore.  We had the oline.  We had the running game.  Great WRs.  And a D that took it to another level at home especially when we had the lead.  And we did.  A lot.  But that's been the only run in this franchise's history of great offense.  Yes QB is a a massive part of it I know.  But still.  It's an adjustment if you're not from Western PA or played in Canada.  

So I've changed.  If Terry is serious about a stadium.  I'm about 90 percent all in on a dome.  

I would hate a dome. 

On Sunday, for whatever reasons, the Eagles managed their game plan and the weather better than the Bills.  And I recent years "bad" weather conditions, whether snow, cold, or wind, have not provided the Bills with any kind of advantage.  The snow game with the Colt is another recent example.  Where was the advantage playing a dome team in snow and just squeaking out a win?  In this era, teams are better prepared, cold weather gear has improved from better and more usable insulating materials like gloves and under-garments, and sideline heaters and heated benches remove much of the discomfort.  It might have helped the teams of the 90's but they had more talent relative to most of their opponents in a non-salary cap era.   

My suspicion is ownership, the state, and county are going to propose and pursue a downtown retractable roof stadium focused on efforts to re-develop the downtown area and perhaps integrate as much as possible with Harbor Center.  Maybe the Bills retain their training facilities in Orchard Park or they also move downtown?

Many like the suburban stadium for its uniqueness, the atmosphere of the game, and tailgating.  Some of that would be lost with a downtown stadium.  But you have to remember that "Rich" stadium (I think it was the first NFL stadium that sold naming rights) was built at a time when businesses and residents were fleeing the inner cities because of social and economic deterioration.  But today's younger generations don't share their parents or grand-parents abandoning of the inner city but rather have more of an affinity for the city rather than suburbs so the trend seems to be reversing.  As time moves forward this trend will only get stronger.    

A Dome / roofed stadium in the city?  Yup! ?

Makes perfect sense, as long as the Pegulas and the NFL pay for it. 

Although a loud minority will say otherwise about a city location, but I ignore their opinions, as do all the truly smart people ? oh the traffic, oh I won’t be able to get pissed drunk before and during the game, oh the traffic, blah blah blah, I ‘m right and you’re all wrong. ?

Go Bills!!!  (Where ever in western N.Y. they are located) ideally Buffalo NY. 

• Like (+1) 1

No to domes. Football is supposed to be played outside, period. Sometimes less than ideal weather conditions might force teams to alter their game plan, but that’s just part of the game. I know it will never happen, but I’d actually like to see the NFL phase domes out by banning new construction of fixed roofs and mandating that games in retractable roof stadiums always be played with it open.

I too was a teenager during the great 90's Buffalo Bills era and watched those games - from home - and thought that the ambience was part of the draw to Buffalo as a fan base, a city and a franchise. However, as the OP pointed out and as I have also said at different times over the last five years, this is a different era in the evolution of the game. There is much more emphasis on the totality of the fan experience with a heavy emphasis on the youth. Kids today spend so much of their time in their rooms or living rooms playing video games, on tablets and phones and the digital age has softened our youth in general. However, that's the reality of the situation and we're not changing social expectations on the whole. 

I think the dome makes a lot more sense in terms of what the NFL is doing in respect to the game, I think it's smart as you start to bring the younger generation more in to the fold and allowing them to enjoy their game day experiences, and I think the dome also helps your Offense. Additionally, consider how loud that dome could be with the rabid #BillsMafia and the Defense on the field. Minnesota produced what I think is essentially the perfect blue print for the cold weather dome and I truly believe it is the best option for the Bills for the next 20-30 years, to play in a location that nullifies the poor weather experience, maximizes the NFL trend toward Offense, and helps the current generation really become invested in the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Would a retractable roof or some sort of portable cover work for crap days?  The stadium looks so nice on sunny days.

Waste of money. Retractable roofs are expensive, break easy, and you rarely use them. I like the glass roof in Minneapolis with walls that open to let in fresh air.

So once again the notion that the Bills thrive in bad weather goes plop. There is no home field weather advantage. Thank heavens it didn't rain during the game like it did during the tailgate. I don't need to suffer watching games in person anymore. Just build a dome, Terry. Better for everyone and might even help with free agents worried about playing in Buffalo weather.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

The patriots didnt have a dome sunday, had worse conditions, and won easily

Well you know why, don't you.

46 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

We love our open air stadium

Related image

I sit pretty high up and those flag poles along the rim of the stadium were shuddering. And I'm thinking 1) maybe flying all those flags in that wind is not the smartest idea, and 2) how long before one of those poles shakes loose and lands on someone? #lawsuits

• Like (+1) 1

The best bet for the NY taxpayers is a dome, unfortunately.  With a dome, you can attract revenue-generating activities year round that will keep your hotels and restaurants (that you're taxing) filled year round, preferably 7 days a week.  That gets the bonds paid off quicker.  

I don't know the answer to this but is RWS used for anything but NFL football currently?   

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Don't necessarily disagree.  But 4 of those were from the 70s.  The 2005 team did it with Defense and Bettis.  The 2010 team was just awesome.  

They've had a great oline and D when they're good.  Shocker.  It starts in the trenches.

Yep, I agree about the trenches. NE also plays outside and they have won a lot of games at home in January.

4 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

On Sunday, for whatever reasons, the Eagles managed their game plan and the weather better than the Bills.  And I recent years "bad" weather conditions, whether snow, cold, or wind, have not provided the Bills with any kind of advantage.  The snow game with the Colt is another recent example.  Where was the advantage playing a dome team in snow and just squeaking out a win?  In this era, teams are better prepared, cold weather gear has improved from better and more usable insulating materials like gloves and under-garments, and sideline heaters and heated benches remove much of the discomfort.  It might have helped the teams of the 90's but they had more talent relative to most of their opponents in a non-salary cap era.   

My suspicion is ownership, the state, and county are going to propose and pursue a downtown retractable roof stadium focused on efforts to re-develop the downtown area and perhaps integrate as much as possible with Harbor Center.  Maybe the Bills retain their training facilities in Orchard Park or they also move downtown?

Many like the suburban stadium for its uniqueness, the atmosphere of the game, and tailgating.  Some of that would be lost with a downtown stadium.  But you have to remember that "Rich" stadium (I think it was the first NFL stadium that sold naming rights) was built at a time when businesses and residents were fleeing the inner cities because of social and economic deterioration.  But today's younger generations don't share their parents or grand-parents abandoning of the inner city but rather have more of an affinity for the city rather than suburbs so the trend seems to be reversing.  As time moves forward this trend will only get stronger.    

In general I agree with this. However, the Bills are very dependent upon the regional fan base traveling. Fans from Rochester or Ontario really aren’t going to care if it’s in a pretty downtown location if it makes driving and parking an expensive hassle. Proper highway access and onsite amenities are extremely important, and for many (myself included) the tailgating adds to the full day event experience. 

Domes positively suck and the idea of playing football indoors is similar to the idea of playing baseball indoors, or on artificial turf.

It makes me want to vomit

Grow some balls, bring an umbrella, and enjoy that open top! 

Edited by Nextmanup