Is it time for a dome?

Big Blitz

4 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

On Sunday, for whatever reasons, the Eagles managed their game plan and the weather better than the Bills.  And I recent years "bad" weather conditions, whether snow, cold, or wind, have not provided the Bills with any kind of advantage.  The snow game with the Colt is another recent example.  Where was the advantage playing a dome team in snow and just squeaking out a win?  In this era, teams are better prepared, cold weather gear has improved from better and more usable insulating materials like gloves and under-garments, and sideline heaters and heated benches remove much of the discomfort.  It might have helped the teams of the 90's but they had more talent relative to most of their opponents in a non-salary cap era.   

My suspicion is ownership, the state, and county are going to propose and pursue a downtown retractable roof stadium focused on efforts to re-develop the downtown area and perhaps integrate as much as possible with Harbor Center.  Maybe the Bills retain their training facilities in Orchard Park or they also move downtown?

Many like the suburban stadium for its uniqueness, the atmosphere of the game, and tailgating.  Some of that would be lost with a downtown stadium.  But you have to remember that "Rich" stadium (I think it was the first NFL stadium that sold naming rights) was built at a time when businesses and residents were fleeing the inner cities because of social and economic deterioration.  But today's younger generations don't share their parents or grand-parents abandoning of the inner city but rather have more of an affinity for the city rather than suburbs so the trend seems to be reversing.  As time moves forward this trend will only get stronger.    

Today's young professionals are living where they can afford, and where available housing stock is. So they are filling in the donut in some respects. However most data indicates this is based on income bracket, not an actual choice. Once people have the income for home ownership, they aren't actually purchasing any stock in city limits. There is almost no data to suggest that Buffalo in particular, is having any sort of rebound other than age of residents. It is still losing population every year, going on 70 years now. (Fun Fact: Buffalo takes in 3-5k refugees yearly and growing, and they are still losing population). In fact, cost of living in Buffalo is increasing at a rate higher than the national average, however jobs and income in the region have remained stagnant or dropped the last 10 years. 

I will get off my soap box now. 

46 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Yep, I agree about the trenches. NE also plays outside and they have won a lot of games at home in January.

Gillette would have been a dome if Kraft had some state money available. Since it was built out of his own pocket he built a minimal facility, actually. But what he did right was Patriot Place. That prints money for him.  Also we all know that Gillette was built to give the Pats every tactical advantage, from the distance opposing teams have to walk to the lockers to the massive TV screen at CBS Place that is easily visible on the Pats sideline but not the visitor's side. There's probably some other secret things too.

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Today's young professionals are living where they can afford, and where available housing stock is. So they are filling in the donut in some respects. However most data indicates this is based on income bracket, not an actual choice. Once people have the income for home ownership, they aren't actually purchasing any stock in city limits. There is almost no data to suggest that Buffalo in particular, is having any sort of rebound other than age of residents. It is still losing population every year, going on 70 years now. (Fun Fact: Buffalo takes in 3-5k refugees yearly and growing, and they are still losing population). In fact, cost of living in Buffalo is increasing at a rate higher than the national average, however jobs and income in the region have remained stagnant or dropped the last 10 years. 

I will get off my soap box now. 

Buffalo's population may not be expanding but it's affluent professional class is.

WR with great speed always produced here even in the cold weather games. We need accurate deep passes though which we aren’t getting right now. So basically I’m saying that if we don’t start getting some big, fast and strong WR soon then let’s get a dome.

Edited by SJDK

We should 100% play indoors. While you lose the charm of an outdoor setting.....The elements are never an advantage for a team. They are a disadvantage for two teams.

Let us not have to worry about rain/snow/wind. Wed get a better product. 

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Waste of money. Retractable roofs are expensive, break easy, and you rarely use them. I like the glass roof in Minneapolis with walls that open to let in fresh air.

So once again the notion that the Bills thrive in bad weather goes plop. There is no home field weather advantage. Thank heavens it didn't rain during the game like it did during the tailgate. I don't need to suffer watching games in person anymore. Just build a dome, Terry. Better for everyone and might even help with free agents worried about playing in Buffalo weather.

Something very few think about.

most of these players played in the SEC or come from southern climates.

players hate playing in cold weather games, i remember Thruman on a radio interview saying they couldn't wait for their Trips south during the winter. Your body hurts less playing in warmer weather and its looser.

I'm all for a domed stadium. Get a superbowl here for the Buffalo economy. Enough of bad weather games. Losing because of bad weather and players that don't want to come to an open stadium where its cold. I'm about winning, not snow. Do they have open ice arenas ? Not for professional teams.

4 hours ago, Chandemonium said:

No to domes. Football is supposed to be played outside, period. Sometimes less than ideal weather conditions might force teams to alter their game plan, but that’s just part of the game. I know it will never happen, but I’d actually like to see the NFL phase domes out by banning new construction of fixed roofs and mandating that games in retractable roof stadiums always be played with it open.

Be disappointed, the NFL actually wants the opposite.

My personal preference is outdoor.  Aesthetically, the elements, time of day, etc add a dimension to the game that is sorely missing from Detroit Lions' games.  All those games look the same other than opponent.  Boring.  

I trust in all the analysis done by and for the Pegulas to pick out what is right and what they want.  Its their money.  There are definitely virtues with an indoor facility.  I understand it.

Either way.  No, they arent going to bring a Superbowl to Buffalo

Edited by May Day 10

I absolutely hate the idea of a dome, and any thought that a Super Bowl will come here is a fantasy. 

Domes are awful, look horrible on TV, and feel like playing in a basement. Just watch a Saints game. They look like they take place at 2:30 in the morning on a green outdoor carpet from the hardware store stretched over concrete. It's dark, dreary, and hard to watch. 

Also, "retractable roof" is just another way of saying "roof that is always closed." It's pointless and adds hundreds of millions to the cost. 

A dome itself pretty much doubles the cost of the stadium. A simple cost/benefit analysis is enough to see that whatever benefits come from playing in a basement (at the worst) or an airplane hangar with the front door open (at the best) are outweighed by the ridiculous costs associated with ruining the experience. 

Steelers, Browns, Bears, Bengals, Chiefs, Packers, Patriots, Ravens, Eagles, Bills... all outdoor teams that play in winter weather. 

A new stadium will cost plenty without a roof of any kind. A roof doubles the cost and ruins the experience. 

12 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I have always firmly been in the absolutely not column for this.  I love the look of the snow games.  The weather in a way brings the fans together and we get crazier especially when we're good.  We wear it as a badge of honor.  I was at the coldest game on record vs the Jets I think it was in 1993.  I was at the comeback game.  My parents had season tickets in the upper deck in the early 90s.  Happiest moments of my childhood was going to those games.  The sweet spot years of becoming a fan.  So I get it.  

But if the game is changing, why are we not considering this especially in an area where the wind is all to common a problem and thus impacting the passing games you want to build?  This is not an overreaction to yesterday either.  It's a serious question.

I heard a few weeks back there is talk in KC of getting a dome in order to maximize Mahomes for the next 10 years.  They'd have to get started immediately.  I know....other cold weather cities survive.  But they don't have the wind we do.  Chicago does.  Look how historically prolific their offenses have been.  Green Bay it's just cold.  Never really see wind as an issue.  Same Seattle.  Just rain....and peak Seattle won with D and Lynch.  

Its 2020.  Players don't like this weather and WRs aren't exactly lining up to come here.  The early 90s Bills loaded with Hall of Fame talent has been the only modern day offense that was able to play in the weather we get consistently.  But you can't stack talent like that anymore.  We had the oline.  We had the running game.  Great WRs.  And a D that took it to another level at home especially when we had the lead.  And we did.  A lot.  But that's been the only run in this franchise's history of great offense.  Yes QB is a a massive part of it I know.  But still.  It's an adjustment if you're not from Western PA or played in Canada.  

So I've changed.  If Terry is serious about a stadium.  I'm about 90 percent all in on a dome.  

Yep it is

5 hours ago, cd1 said:

Funny - how did our open air stadium FAVOR US two days ago?

In reality, the NFL is a for profit industry. The owners will do everything possible to maximize PROFITS.

Our message board protests mean nothing.

Carry on...

The Eagles are much better suited to play in that type of weather. I have been against a dome but I would be okay with it if that was the direction they wanted to go. 

12 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I have always firmly been in the absolutely not column for this.  I love the look of the snow games.  The weather in a way brings the fans together and we get crazier especially when we're good.  We wear it as a badge of honor.  I was at the coldest game on record vs the Jets I think it was in 1993.  I was at the comeback game.  My parents had season tickets in the upper deck in the early 90s.  Happiest moments of my childhood was going to those games.  The sweet spot years of becoming a fan.  So I get it.  

But if the game is changing, why are we not considering this especially in an area where the wind is all to common a problem and thus impacting the passing games you want to build?  This is not an overreaction to yesterday either.  It's a serious question.

I heard a few weeks back there is talk in KC of getting a dome in order to maximize Mahomes for the next 10 years.  They'd have to get started immediately.  I know....other cold weather cities survive.  But they don't have the wind we do.  Chicago does.  Look how historically prolific their offenses have been.  Green Bay it's just cold.  Never really see wind as an issue.  Same Seattle.  Just rain....and peak Seattle won with D and Lynch.  

Its 2020.  Players don't like this weather and WRs aren't exactly lining up to come here.  The early 90s Bills loaded with Hall of Fame talent has been the only modern day offense that was able to play in the weather we get consistently.  But you can't stack talent like that anymore.  We had the oline.  We had the running game.  Great WRs.  And a D that took it to another level at home especially when we had the lead.  And we did.  A lot.  But that's been the only run in this franchise's history of great offense.  Yes QB is a a massive part of it I know.  But still.  It's an adjustment if you're not from Western PA or played in Canada.  

So I've changed.  If Terry is serious about a stadium.  I'm about 90 percent all in on a dome.  

Dunkirk Don had some insider info on a new stadium as I recall ? Somewhere east of Buffalo?

I get the fans liking the novelty of a snow game now and then but last Sunday's game was a perfect example of weather just ruining a good matchup.  Sundays miserable weather threw a massive variable into our offensive game plan and wrecked our kicking game as well.   I'm all for a retractable dome downtown where we would have optimum conditions for players and fans. 

13 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Would a retractable roof or some sort of portable cover work for crap days?  The stadium looks so nice on sunny days.

That’s my tough part. On days like the Dolphins a week ago the stadium is amazing to be in. BUT having attended the snow bowl vs IND and countless crappy rain games it gets old fast. Retractable or Glass like MIN is my pick.

The people who say footballs a game in the elements I asked how many games you actually have went to when it’s bad. As much fun as that’s Colts game was in 17 I never want to be in that again. I feel like many people pro outdoor don’t go to nearly as many games as they act like but maybe that’s just me

The thing is... you can experiment with this!

Here's what you do:

1. Go to the bank and take out $300. Make sure it's crisp new bills. 

2. Go down into your basement and run the $300 through a paper shredder.

3. Roll out some of that fake grass green carpet from your nearest big box hardware store over the concrete

4. sit down on the hard floor against the wall

5. pour yourself a bottle of Labatt or similar piss water into a plastic cup and light a $20 on fire

and there you are! The dome football experience! 

Edited by TheFunPolice