Is it time for a dome?

Big Blitz

I have always firmly been in the absolutely not column for this.  I love the look of the snow games.  The weather in a way brings the fans together and we get crazier especially when we're good.  We wear it as a badge of honor.  I was at the coldest game on record vs the Jets I think it was in 1993.  I was at the comeback game.  My parents had season tickets in the upper deck in the early 90s.  Happiest moments of my childhood was going to those games.  The sweet spot years of becoming a fan.  So I get it.  

But if the game is changing, why are we not considering this especially in an area where the wind is all to common a problem and thus impacting the passing games you want to build?  This is not an overreaction to yesterday either.  It's a serious question.

I heard a few weeks back there is talk in KC of getting a dome in order to maximize Mahomes for the next 10 years.  They'd have to get started immediately.  I know....other cold weather cities survive.  But they don't have the wind we do.  Chicago does.  Look how historically prolific their offenses have been.  Green Bay it's just cold.  Never really see wind as an issue.  Same Seattle.  Just rain....and peak Seattle won with D and Lynch.  

Its 2020.  Players don't like this weather and WRs aren't exactly lining up to come here.  The early 90s Bills loaded with Hall of Fame talent has been the only modern day offense that was able to play in the weather we get consistently.  But you can't stack talent like that anymore.  We had the oline.  We had the running game.  Great WRs.  And a D that took it to another level at home especially when we had the lead.  And we did.  A lot.  But that's been the only run in this franchise's history of great offense.  Yes QB is a a massive part of it I know.  But still.  It's an adjustment if you're not from Western PA or played in Canada.  

So I've changed.  If Terry is serious about a stadium.  I'm about 90 percent all in on a dome.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 6

Noooo!

it is time for a team with a few studs on the O.line who can dominate in the elements.   A precise passer and a hellacious D End to cause havoc after the offense takes the lead.

It will be more fun sitting outside once that time comes  for the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

Noooo!

it is time for a team with a few studs on the O.line who can dominate in the elements.   A precise passer and a hellacious D End to cause havoc after the offense takes the lead.

It will be more fun sitting outside once that time comes  for the Bills. 

How many times do the stars align in a franchise history for all those things to come together?

7 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

No!

Football is an outdoor game. Weather didn't stop the 90s Bills!

Patriots see fine with it too as does Green Bay

Matt Ryan and the Falcons will have played 2 outdoor games this year.  It might be 3 but at least for fantasy scouting purposes before the season started smart players were aware of this.  ;)

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, purple haze said:

It's not the facility.  It's the players and coaching.  Nothing else.  Draft well.  Develop well.  Profit.

Detroit Lions ain't won a thing playing inside.  Pittsburgh has 6 rings playing outside.

Don't necessarily disagree.  But 4 of those were from the 70s.  The 2005 team did it with Defense and Bettis.  The 2010 team was just awesome.  

They've had a great oline and D when they're good.  Shocker.  It starts in the trenches.

• Like (+1) 1

First off, domes kinda weird me out.  But that’s for my therapist.  

However, I like the dome for both the players and the fans.  We get loud and I can only imagine how much louder we’d be in a dome. Also, the weather sucks for the fans as much as the players.  When this team doesn’t do well in December, people will absolutely choose to stay home rather than sit through that crap.  

I was anti-dome for a while, but there seem to be fewer and fewer games decided by the weather where I’d take our fans making every game a larger home field advantage with noise than home for some snow 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Virgil said:

First off, domes kinda weird me out.  But that’s for my therapist.  

However, I like the dome for both the players and the fans.  We get loud and I can only imagine how much louder we’d be in a dome. Also, the weather sucks for the fans as much as the players.  When this team doesn’t do well in December, people will absolutely choose to stay home rather than sit through that crap.  

I was anti-dome for a while, but there seem to be fewer and fewer games decided by the weather where I’d take our fans making every game a larger home field advantage with noise than home for some snow 

Myself personally Virgil, I get both sides of the argument. The deciding factor for me as OP pointed out is maximizing Josh Allen/ arm. I mean you can say Allens arm strength is a good fit for bad weather. That doesnt mean its not an even better fit for controled playing conditions. I don't care how hard you throw the football, high winds will still hurt the accuracy of a throw. It stands to reason Allen in good playing conditions can hit smaller windows at further distances then most NFL QB's. In winds 20 mph and above all bets are off IMO. Rain, snow, none of it helps a QB.

A Superbowl in Buffalo would also be very lucrative for the city. 

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I have always firmly been in the absolutely not column for this.  I love the look of the snow games.  The weather in a way brings the fans together and we get crazier especially when we're good.  We wear it as a badge of honor.  I was at the coldest game on record vs the Jets I think it was in 1993.  I was at the comeback game.  My parents had season tickets in the upper deck in the early 90s.  Happiest moments of my childhood was going to those games.  The sweet spot years of becoming a fan.  So I get it.  

But if the game is changing, why are we not considering this especially in an area where the wind is all to common a problem and thus impacting the passing games you want to build?  This is not an overreaction to yesterday either.  It's a serious question.

I heard a few weeks back there is talk in KC of getting a dome in order to maximize Mahomes for the next 10 years.  They'd have to get started immediately.  I know....other cold weather cities survive.  But they don't have the wind we do.  Chicago does.  Look how historically prolific their offenses have been.  Green Bay it's just cold.  Never really see wind as an issue.  Same Seattle.  Just rain....and peak Seattle won with D and Lynch.  

Its 2020.  Players don't like this weather and WRs aren't exactly lining up to come here.  The early 90s Bills loaded with Hall of Fame talent has been the only modern day offense that was able to play in the weather we get consistently.  But you can't stack talent like that anymore.  We had the oline.  We had the running game.  Great WRs.  And a D that took it to another level at home especially when we had the lead.  And we did.  A lot.  But that's been the only run in this franchise's history of great offense.  Yes QB is a a massive part of it I know.  But still.  It's an adjustment if you're not from Western PA or played in Canada.  

So I've changed.  If Terry is serious about a stadium.  I'm about 90 percent all in on a dome.  

I haven't seen many bad weather games, especially at home, give the Bills any kind of advantage in the last decade+. And since our QB's need all the help they can get, I'd rather us just play in a dome at this point.

As great as Bills fans can be, in 2017 we were in the midst of a playoff race & there were still tons of empty seats seen on TV late in the year during cold/bad weather games, even against divisional opponents. I've only been able to make it to 2 Bills home games during the winter the last several years, but both times the attendance was pretty mild. We weren't eliminated from the playoffs yet, so being abysmal wasn't the reason, and with the cheapest tickets in the league it's not cost doing it either.

I just think as time goes on, less & less people want to sit through awful weather for 3+ hours to watch a team play sloppy football.

• Like (+1) 1

This team has a very passionate fan base despite the last 20 years of mediocrity and the weather adds to that tradition.   Yes, the wind is a pain sometimes, but the other team has to battle it too.  Building a dome would take away a lot of what Buffalo is associated with and just add to the corporate sterility of today's NFL.    What is next, setting up the parking lots so there aren't all of those loiterers before the game anymore?

The OP actually does make some valid points, but I think of the atmosphere of the games during the Bills Toronto series and instantly think that this is not a good idea

Edited by dgrochester55

I am indifferent.  I only go to one game/year and it's always very early in the season so two things are pretty much guaranteed: I know I'm not gonna freeze my balls off; and the fan base (for the most part) is still filled with optimism and excitement.

Whatever they decide for the new stadium means nothing to me.  Either way, it's probably gonna price me out.

I don't think an open-air stadium in an area prone to bad weather is an advantage to the home team. 

Visiting teams might play in Buffalo's bad weather once per season (or once in a season), while the home team may have half of their home slate in the bad weather.  That's a disadvantage for the home team, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1