Wegmans opens in Brooklyn

57 minutes ago, T&C said:

You are 100% correct... a great place to shop but virtually everything they sell is marked Way up. I have one right across the street and a walmart neighborhood marked 900 feet away from them. 

Almost every single item is a dollar or two less at the walmart. Everything really. Sometimes they do have decent bogo's though. What Publix Does have that no one else around here does is Boars Head meats and cheeses. Boars Head natural casing dogs are pretty damn good too.

My Publix 1.3 miles from the house has Sahlen’s hot dogs which I’ll do a couple times a year. My little Ted’s re-creation!  (I also get Boars Head products and enjoy the line.) That is the closet Publix, but there are two others within a couple miles of our house. They don’t like to leave gaps where another chain can get a foothold. It was the same way in Florida. 

Krogers is MUCH cheaper (tuna and swordfish for $9.99/lb vs $27-$35/lb at Publix! Seriously!), but that’s a crap shoot. Some of them are WAY nicer than any Publix I’ve ever been in, but others are dumpy and need to be renovated or closed. The one closest to me is a dump.  

32 minutes ago, Augie said:

My Publix 1.3 miles from the house has Sahlen’s hot dogs which I’ll do a couple times a year. My little Ted’s re-creation!  (I also get Boars Head products and enjoy the line.) That is the closet Publix, but there are two others within a couple miles of our house. They don’t like to leave gaps where another chain can get a foothold. It was the same way in Florida. 

Krogers is MUCH cheaper (tuna and swordfish for $9.99/lb vs $27-$35/lb at Publix! Seriously!), but that’s a crap shoot. Some of them are WAY nicer than any Publix I’ve ever been in, but others are dumpy and need to be renovated or closed. The one closest to me is a dump.  

I'm in Florida outside of Tampa... have never been to a Krogers. We do have Aldi though that really is pretty decent but having the Publix/WMNM right across the way makes it easy and lazy to just head over the road.

Publix my way has Sahlens but they are the ***** smokehouse version. They Do however have Hoffmans natural casing dogs And white hots... the manager is from WNY.

I guess your Krogers is my Aldi.

22 minutes ago, T&C said:

I'm in Florida outside of Tampa... have never been to a Krogers. We do have Aldi though that really is pretty decent but having the Publix/WMNM right across the way makes it easy and lazy to just head over the road.

Publix my way has Sahlens but they are the ***** smokehouse version. They Do however have Hoffmans natural casing dogs And white hots... the manager is from WNY.

I guess your Krogers is my Aldi.

We were in Sarasota for 18 years. As you may know, it’s pretty much a simple grip with E/W & N/S roads. There is a Publix almost exactly 2 miles in any direction you go. Very few other options. I will look for Hoffman’s at the Publix here, worth checking out! Thanks! 

We do have a few Aldis around here somewhere, but I’ve never been in one. My mother seems to like one near her. 

I’m shopping probably 6 days a week, so I’ve become a convenience guy and pay the price for it I suppose. 

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

We were in Sarasota for 18 years. As you may know, it’s pretty much a simple grip with E/W & N/S roads. There is a Publix almost exactly 2 miles in any direction you go. Very few other options. I will look for Hoffman’s at the Publix here, worth checking out! Thanks! 

We do have a few Aldis around here somewhere, but I’ve never been in one. My mother seems to like one near her. 

I’m shopping probably 6 days a week, so I’ve become a convenience guy and pay the price for it I suppose. 

You should google an Aldi in your area and take a ride... they have a lot of stuff and brand names you've probably never heard of but the quality is up there. A lot of the big companies make brands for businesses that don't have their name on it. Also, there is a lot of stuff imported from Germany and other countries from Europe. Don't look around for a butcher though, there isn't one.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, T&C said:

You should google an Aldi in your area and take a ride... they have a lot of stuff and brand names you've probably never heard of but the quality is up there. A lot of the big companies make brands for businesses that don't have their name on it. Also, there is a lot of stuff imported from Germany and other countries from Europe. Don't look around for a butcher though, there isn't one.

My buddy was an Aldi manager for two separate tours in Columbia SC, then in Charlotte. He’s their perfect employee: great attitude & tons of energy. He’s back at Food Lion now.

At Aldi, there aren’t a ton of workers & they open just a few registers at a time. The lines move fast, so you better keep up. Those savings come from somewhere.

Aldi just gave their stores a well-needed makeover.

If you’ve never been, you should be prepared for the differences. Bring a quarter. You’ll need it to unlock a shopping cart. If you’re only getting a few things, bring your own bag. Anyway, try it out. 
?

15 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I have a buddy that's worked at Wegmans for over a decade and had to ask him if they're going to call it W-Soda down there but he didn't have an answer for me.

It's W-POP  actually

well I guess when people don't know the word POP in reference to a soda pop  ... 

23 hours ago, T&C said:

Ha! I looked it up, and there is an Aldi 2.4 miles from here that I have driven past a thousand times! Went in there today, pretty small and bare bones, but certainly MUCH cheaper! 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

you describing yourself?

I am NOT that cheap!

But certainly also not top shelf.  ?

3 hours ago, teef said:

no love for trader joes?

I prefer Fresh Market. They have some really nice prepared foods. OK, maybe I just fell for their chicken pot pie. 

I don’t really get the appeal for Trader Joe’s, but they do draw people in. 

Sprouts is so packed I don’t go there, and I have no idea why so many people are in there.

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Ha! I looked it up, and there is an Aldi 2.4 miles from here that I have driven past a thousand times! Went in there today, pretty small and bare bones, but certainly MUCH cheaper! 

Regardless of what anyone says Aldi is pretty cool. I like the yogurts there better than the brand name ones and they have some unique bread selections. Glad you liked it... took me 3-4 times shopping there to really get a grip on the place but I'm glad I did. Whenever I go there I don't get a cart, I just grab an empty or near empty box and shop with that.

The Aldi around here is kind of hidden too... but they just remodeled it and it is pretty nice. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I am NOT that cheap!

I prefer Fresh Market. They have some really nice prepared foods. OK, maybe I just fell for their chicken pot pie. 

Sprouts is so packed I don’t go there, and I have no idea why so many people are in there.

I loved The Fresh Market before they were sold. Still pretty good afterwards, just not "quite" the same. I always wanted one in WNY.

Trader Joe's and Aldi's share an owner. While I do not care for Aldi's, I will hit Trader Joes's for dried fruits and raw & roasted nuts (cheapest non-sale nut prices I can find).

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I am NOT that cheap!

I have a Sprouts a few miles away but it is in a direction that is a hassle to drive. They sell Yancy's Fancy cheese there which I thought was kind of cool. Their deli sandwiches are really good at a decent price.

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I loved The Fresh Market before they were sold. Still pretty good afterwards, just not "quite" the same. I always wanted one in WNY.

Trader Joe's and Aldi's share an owner. While I do not care for Aldi's, I will hit Trader Joes's for dried fruits and raw & roasted nuts (cheapest non-sale nut prices I can find).

You shop around for the cheapest nuts you can find, huh?