My biggest frustration with the offense

Steptide

I know everyone is complaining about the defense today and rightfully so. However, I'm confident in McDermott that he'll get it fixed. Don't forget our first 2 games last season where our defense looked pathetic. Everyone thought the defense was toast. I'm confident that will get repaired. 

However, there's one thing that has really bothered me from the beginning of the season. Cole beasley is not being used the way he should be used. Yes, he had 2 tds the last 2 games, but look at the way new England uses Edelman. That is exactly how the bills should be using beasley. Every game I get frustrated with this. He's a speedy reciever and they need to use him in space. I don't watch the all 22 every week, but it seems like he's just running the same routes any other reciever is. Use some mis direction with him. Put him in for some screen plays. Imo he could be huge difference maker for this offense and they're not using him 

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

McD has had nothing but bad offenses. Where is all the confidence that he'll get it fixed coming from?

He's a defensive coach. He hired guys to run the offense. If Daboll isn't the answer he'll hire someone else.

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

I know everyone is complaining about the defense today and rightfully so. However, I'm confident in McDermott that he'll get it fixed. Don't forget our first 2 games last season where our defense looked pathetic. Everyone thought the defense was toast. I'm confident that will get repaired. 

However, there's one thing that has really bothered me from the beginning of the season. Cole beasley is not being used the way he should be used. Yes, he had 2 tds the last 2 games, but look at the way new England uses Edelman. That is exactly how the bills should be using beasley. Every game I get frustrated with this. He's a speedy reciever and they need to use him in space. I don't watch the all 22 every week, but it seems like he's just running the same routes any other reciever is. Use some mis direction with him. Put him in for some screen plays. Imo he could be huge difference maker for this offense and they're not using him 

It took edelman 7 seasons to get where he is.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

What? No mention of the blue pajamas? It’s not a proper complaint thread without bringing up the blue on blue look!

I have to stop being superstitious about the unis. If they tossed out every uni my Bills stink up the field wearing they would be out there buck naked.

• Haha (+1) 2

Sometimes I wonder if Daboll's offensive philosophy of wanting to transition from one offensive style to the next based on opponents is what gets them derailed. Typically their first 10-15 scripted plays are pretty good. They've moved the ball pretty well at times, it's just the inconsistency that catches up with them. On one series they might run the ball on most plays and then come out on the next series and throw it 3-4 times in a row and look out of sync. They always talk about finding rhythm and playing fast without a lot of thinking. Well, maybe the style of offense has them thinking a bit too much. 

Of course all teams adjust and change things up from game to game but maybe they should focus on their bread and butter stuff and try to build around that. I dunno, I'm not a football scientist. 

Edited by blacklabel

Mine is Josh Allen being careless with the ball, and the amount of QB keeper plays being called.

First, Josh has to protect the ball. That one lost yesterday was a momentum and game killer.
Also even worse, knowing Josh has ball security issues, they still keep calling for him to run the ball. We have two very capable backs who can pick up 2 yards 7/10 times, and two receivers in Brown and Beasley that can work very well in small space. But yet they run Allen.

I get that Allen was lights out running last year. But a large portion of those big runs came on scrambles after the line got blown up, and Josh’s athleticism kicked in. This year teams are waiting for it.

With his fumbling issues, they need to cool it with the QB called runs and let your skill position players make plays.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

He's a defensive coach. He hired guys to run the offense. If Daboll isn't the answer he'll hire someone else.

This.

This org from McBean down has shown that they are willing to move on if their coaches are not grading out well, or if there is someone with a bit more street cred out there.

They moved on from their o-line coach last year because of the regression of some of our returning players and what seemed like an inability to coach up the new guys. I think Bobby has been an upgrade, just do not understand why every year we have so many false start penalties regardless of who is at the helm - completely correctable.

I think Daboll has done a good job correcting Allen's short game, teaching him to read defenses, getting him to go through his progressions and throw more with anticipation to spots on the field. He has a complex play book and I don't see a confused young QB out there executing it although he has gotten rattled before trying to read disguised coverages while under pressure (NE Game).

What I am not confident in is: his ability to adjust his play calling to better align and take advantage of field and game conditions. If you want to limit exposing Allen to hits and that is not just words, and if you do not want to put your defense in a bad spot, do not call a QB sweep against a stacked box, deep in your own zone, on a slippery field with a wet ball. That and other stubborn tendencies where he absolutely drags his feet before turning to the run, just makes me think that he may have a ceiling of what he will be able to provide this team as an OC.

I do think that a lot of QBs that have gone on to make it in this league have benefited from being in stable organizations with some offensive continuity, but we will see. I sometimes feel like Daboll is designing a bit of a finesse offense like one you would see on a fast field under a dome, but in New Era you have to be very aware of the weather and field conditions and be able to adapt to them. 

My biggest frustration is that we don't have the same playbook as Green Bay.  Our guy has a bigger bazooka than Rogers, moves better, but he is hampered by our playbook.  Do the Packers have better skilled players than we do?  Don't think so.  Everybody's going to say that Rogers is better than our guy, but maybe it's the playbook.

Sounds like the biggest frustration is with Brian Daboll and his play design, which I agree.  It would be nice to see Beasley used as a true slot WR, with quick passes and YAC.

Daboll is intent on trying to outsmart everyone, though the only person he's outsmarting is himself.

7 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

My frustration:

1 Singletary not getting enough touches

2 Lee Smith getting too many penalties

3. Offensive Line missing blocks and RT being a turnstyle

4. Lack of creative playcalling

5. Misuse of Josh Allens talents

6. Running Gore up the gut to start games

7. Not hitting any deep passes

8. Lack of TEs in passing game. Knox makes a few great catches then drops easy ones and disappears.

Keep adding to the list.