Josh Allen is not a running back

WIDE LEFT

Less than 2 minutes in first half, third and short, OC calls for QB run. Allen fumbles, other team recovers. Sound familiar? Well yes it happened yesterday, but it also happened several games ago, except instant replay showed recovering defender had his feet 3 inches out of bounds - Bills retained possession.

Point is our OC did not learn his lesson. Maybe deep in your territory, in a third & short with the D  geared up to stop the run, it’s not such a great idea to run the player who has already fumbled EIGHT times this year. He is a QB, not an RB, and having him run into the teeth of a D geared up to stop the run is reckless. In that defensive scenario, even if he picks up the first down, he is likely to take a huge hit.

And there’s the risk/reward ratio to consider as well, a concept that our OC doesn’t seem to grasp. Deep in our territory, less than two minutes, 70+ yards to go, why risk your QB fumbling, and/or your QB health, for the sake of picking up 2 or 3 yards and first down that still leaves you with a long, long way to go. Allen at that point was completing close to 70% of his passes, and a scramble off a passing play is a whole different thing than a designated run into the teeth of a defense. If you insist on a run there, give to the guys who are paid to do just that. 
That’s not to say the designated QB run should be removed from the playbook. It’s just to say you have to more selective in its use, considering everything including field position, game situations, risk/reward etc etc This is twice now our OC has called this play at the worst possible time, leading to disaster and near disaster. And it could have been worse, Allen in that situation is exposed to huge and potentially injury causing hit.

Time for McD to have a chat with this reckless OC.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, WIDE LEFT said:

Less than 2 minutes in first half, third and short, OC calls for QB run. Allen fumbles, other team recovers. Sound familiar? Well yes it happened yesterday, but it also happened several games ago, except instant replay showed recovering defender had his feet 3 inches out of bounds - Bills retained possession.

Point is our OC did not learn his lesson. Maybe deep in your territory, in a third & short with the D  geared up to stop the run, it’s not such a great idea to run the player who has already fumbled EIGHT times this year. He is a QB, not an RB, and having him run into the teeth of a D geared up to stop the run is reckless. In that defensive scenario, even if he picks up the first down, he is likely to take a huge hit.

And there’s the risk/reward ratio to consider as well, a concept that our OC doesn’t seem to grasp. Deep in our territory, less than two minutes, 70+ yards to go, why risk your QB fumbling, and/or your QB health, for the sake of picking up 2 or 3 yards and first down that still leaves you with a long, long way to go. Allen at that point was completing close to 70% of his passes, and a scramble off a passing play is a whole different thing than a designated run into the teeth of a defense. If you insist on a run there, give to the guys who are paid to do just that. 
That’s not to say the designated QB run should be removed from the playbook. It’s just to say you have to more selective in its use, considering everything including field position, game situations, risk/reward etc etc This is twice now our OC has called this play at the worst possible time, leading to disaster and near disaster. And it could have been worse, Allen in that situation is exposed to huge and potentially injury causing hit.

Time for McD to have a chat with this reckless OC.

How do you know he hasn't already.  McD numerous times has said Allen's legs are a weapon.

The designed runs are being over-used.  I think we can agree. Teams are ready for it.   What i want to see more of though is his insane scrambling ability when he can't find an open receiver.  Take off and run dude....stop chucking it out of bounds and wasting downs.  They've beaten that into his head.  Newsflash-- the D ain't elite.  We need more than 20+ points to win some games. 

15 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Just saying McD isnt going to change it, in his mind it is less of a chance for a Turnover.  They are coaching conservatism into their QB

Agree. Plus, this is built into their offense. Without Allen running the ball they don't have enough carries available between Gore's and Singletary to even run the ball as much as they are doing it.

Amen, I said the same thing yesterday about 1001 times.  1 thing that stands out at me is this coaching staff 9 and I like them), they do not believe in situational football.   Living in New England, I here about  situational football 24/7.  Think about it, there 1:53 on the clock, the wind is at your back it's 3 and 2.  The eagle have two DT who hadn't played a snap in the NFL till yesterday.  You have a 60 million dollar center.  They were receiving the ball to open the 3rd.  Why not give to to Gore.  If he gets stuffed, punt it away.  Let them drive 70+ yards against the wind.  That totally changed the game.  

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

How do you know he hasn't already.  McD numerous times has said Allen's legs are a weapon.

Josh's legs are a better weapon when the play breaks down and he takes off on his own. The designed runs for a QB that has already had one concussion this year are stupid. You can't help for his football instincts taking over and him trying to make something out of nothing, but Daboll has got to stop with this dumb :censored: he does on a weekly basis. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

QB runs at the wrong time have been a hallmark of Daboll's ineffective play calling.  He continues to set up an empty backfield on first and second downs that invites a blitz from the defense.  Daboll continues to frustrate me.  In the first series of the game, he comes out trying to run Gore into the strength of the defense that had the box loaded.  The Philly secondary has been horrible in coverage all year and he decides to establish a running threat before trying to pass.  He did nothing to back off the safeties and linebackers.  Eagles have been susceptible to weak side screens, seam routes, and passes to backs in the flat that are run underneath deeper routes.  If the fans understand, this why  can't Daboll.?  Running the QB into a stacked defense has been ineffective except for a couple of red zone plays.

• Like (+1) 1

i remember schoppe making fun of the titans on the radio saying if you like to impress your child about how much you know about football just put on a titans game and call their offense before the snap. You’ll look like a genius. The joke is I feel the same way about the bills offense. Every time they are in shotgun they pass. Also when under the center they love running bootlegs which I hate. He also loves stupid misdirection plays when they aren’t needed. Guy has been terrible most of the year. 

I like it to be honest. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. 

I think the reason people dont like it is because we arent using it as a luxury.

Like...if this offense could show it can march up the field naturally without plays like this youd love it when it works.

23 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I think the reason people dont like it is because we arent using it as a luxury.

Like...if this offense could show it can march up the field naturally without plays like this youd love it when it works.

Maybe Daboll doesn't believe this team can (?) which would be a shame.  However, I can believe that Daboll just went to the well one to many times and got slapped into reality regarding who should be running the ball.

I'd be fine if they never called QB designed runs, but I am fine seeing Josh scramble as much as he wants.

And no more screens on 3rd down. Throw the ball past the sticks or at least to a receiver or running back with some forward momentum.

But I still think we'll win 10-11 games. I just don't know if we can win a playoff game. On the right track, at least.

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

I don't like gimmick plays on 3rd down. If you want to try a gimmick like a designed QB run, do it on 1st or 2nd down. 3rd down should be all business. Only use a gimmick if nothing else is working and you NEED the 3rd down and the defense has been stomping you.

I think Daboll gets too cute sometimes. Like he's outthinking himself.

And you have to be scratching your head over the initial script of plays. Josh Allen drops back and Fletcher Cox comes rolling in to cause the fumble/sack - although Cox is playing next to a guy just called up from practice squad, we don’t double team him, and he beats our guard badly. Same series, 3rd & short, Cox again not double teamed, stuffs the run. 

When they ran him the week coming off the concussion you weren't concerned? McDermott wasn't concerned?

Just now, WIDE LEFT said:

And you have to be scratching your head over the initial script of plays. Josh Allen drops back and Fletcher Cox comes rolling in to cause the fumble/sack - although Cox is playing next to a guy just called up from practice squad, we don’t double team him, and he beats our guard badly. Same series, 3rd & short, Cox again not double teamed, stuffs the run. 

Who makes the line calls and how much "movement" of o-linemen/backs is involved?