Let Josh be Josh?

oldmanfan

Just now, dorquemada said:

So i'll ask the dumb question, is that 25 yards in the air, or the 5 yard in the flat pass that Beasley takes for 30?  I'm straining a bit to recollect any completed passes that were in the air for 25 yards+ this year

Well his longest Air Yard Completion is 42.5 so it seems he has completed one

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Arbitrary?

In the air more than 30 yards...like a fly pattern or deep post....you know the plays to take the top off the defense?

We're trying but he's not hitting them.

That is NOT the Definition the Definition is a 25 yard pass

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Nope cant be he has completed 10.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=AFC&rank=118&type=Passing&year=

What are you people defining as the "Deep" Ball?

that’s “big play” passes, i.e. any pass resulting in a 25 yard or more gain. So a swing pass to singletary that goes for 30 yards would qualify. Not exactly what we’re talking about here. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I think that was the TD to Brown vs Jets.  I'm struggling to find many other completions that traveled more than 25 yards in the air.  The Angry Knox pass was about 15-20 yards

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

That is NOT the Definition the Definition is a 25 yard pass

I get what you're saying, but the fact is, nobody is afraid of Allen's deep ball this year, and are adjusting their Ds accordingly.  The first few games the Run O was better because foolish D coordinators were worried Allen might use his NFL's strongest arm to push the ball downfield. 

At the end of the day, what I'm saying is that Dabol isn't working out.  We're not using the personnel we have for their strengths, or if we are, we have a lot less talent that we thought.  I still don't get why we arent seeing more of Foster, there has to be something to that story.  I mean put him out there, he can drop the ball just as effectively as Kroft or Knox

3 minutes ago, GG said:

I think that was the TD to Brown vs Jets.  I'm struggling to find many other completions that traveled more than 25 yards in the air.  The Angry Knox pass was about 15-20 yards

Yeah that was 38 yards...most of it in the air so there's one.  

The Knox throw was an intermediate pass like you say.... 

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Does that say the distance the ball traveled? I don’t see it.

Well just using this https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2019/9

His Longest By Week shows he is hitting deep balls

Wk1 - 42.5

Wk2 - 38.3

Wk3 - 32.9

Wk4 - 37.9

Wk5 - 32.3

Wk 6 - Bye

Wk7 - 35.4

WK8 - 32.4

So that also then means there are 3 more big plays not accounted for to get to 10

1 minute ago, JoPar_v2 said:

that’s “big play” passes, i.e. any pass resulting in a 25 yard or more gain. So a swing pass to singletary that goes for 30 yards would qualify. Not exactly what we’re talking about here. 

And just posted the debunking of this thinking

3 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

I get what you're saying, but the fact is, nobody is afraid of Allen's deep ball this year, and are adjusting their Ds accordingly.  The first few games the Run O was better because foolish D coordinators were worried Allen might use his NFL's strongest arm to push the ball downfield. 

At the end of the day, what I'm saying is that Dabol isn't working out.  We're not using the personnel we have for their strengths, or if we are, we have a lot less talent that we thought.  I still don't get why we arent seeing more of Foster, there has to be something to that story.  I mean put him out there, he can drop the ball just as effectively as Kroft or Knox

Frank Gore is facing the 2nd most 8 men box....because we can't go downfield.  

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Just posted 7 longest completed Air Yards.

Meaning there is 3 more not accounted for

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's USA Today's definition.  

There's also stats that track air yards.  Are we not allowed to use that?

Exactly. Fact is we don’t need to agree on a specific definition - we all see the games and know exactly the type of plays we’re talking about here. And Allen has been horrendous week in week out throwing downfield. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What I have been focusing on are the throws to receivers getting behind the defense and on the way to the house. He has missed all of those this season. The throw to Brown in game one was a back shoulder throw, and I'm not sure if it was intentional or not. Regardless, Brown hadn't gotten behind behind the defense. Nice play regardless, of course.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Are you willing to be intellectually consistent and make the same judgment call as to the can't miss prospects drafted ahead of Allen, in Darnold and Mayfield? "I see ghosts" Darnold's ongoing pick tracker notched another 3, to make 7 over his last 2 games for starters, going along nicely with 8 (not a typo), sacks taken yesterday alone...Mayfield's W-L record is the inverse of Josh's at 2-5, but hey, who's counting? Unless you are willing to call the entire 2018 QB draft class a bust at this point, minus Lamar who's playing lights out right now, then you are unfairly singling out Josh's coming of age roller coaster ride that we're on, and not taking into account all of the other variables in play, together with the aforementioned peer comparison points.      

We should care about how Allen compares to every starting NFL Quarterback. Not just the ones drafted ahead of him in 2018.

Silly.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

59 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

At what point do we all admit that Josh Allen simply isn’t good enough?

Well, I dunno about the rest of youse, but I'm ready to send the kid packin' after 17 career starts. /s

Progress isn't linear. There are ups and downs. Every first round QB from 2018 has had both good and bad outings this season. None of them have arrived, they're all still working to get to where they wanna be.

And I thought most people knew that Allen has a lot of freedom to change plays, it's been talked about several times this season. They also sit and go through the plays and ditch anything that he doesn't like or doesn't think will work. 

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Huh.

So when someone asks at what point we conclude that Allen isn't good, and you reply with "don't hold your breath" and reference EJ, what exactly were you implying?

I thought my point was pretty clear. Even if Allen is bad, there will still be people who will argue otherwise (like they did for EJ and Tyrod) and call you a hater. It won’t be until the team moves on that they will finally accept that said QB was in fact not good.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Well, I dunno about the rest of youse, but I'm ready to send the kid packin' after 17 career starts. /s

Progress isn't linear. There are ups and downs. Every first round QB from 2018 has had both good and bad outings this season. None of them have arrived, they're all still working to get to where they wanna be.

And I thought most people knew that Allen has a lot of freedom to change plays, it's been talked about several times this season. They also sit and go through the plays and ditch anything that he doesn't like or doesn't think will work. 

Do they actually do that?  Does he get to throw out plays?  Audible?  I haven't seen that commented on.