Let Josh be Josh?

oldmanfan

18 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

At what point do we all admit that Josh Allen simply isn’t good enough?

Don’t hold your breath. There were people who still believed EJ would emerge the year Rex took over.

You saw how it was with Tyrod. People argued he was better than he actually was right up until he was cut. Then reality set in and those same people now agree with all the “haters”.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

We took the Route Concept he was hitting on "long balls" out of the game-plan.  We dont have that deep dig that we ran last year.  Essentially every deep ball is a "Go" Route which is a low percentage pass to begin with.

Did you watch the game?  Or just look at stats, because most of his Balls where screens and short throws.  (ie Winds not effecting as much)

I am so confused. So far today Bills fans (not all you) are: 

- Blaming the OC for neutering Josh Allen. Playing the short and underneath routes rather than too his strengths

- Wind kept Josh from playing well

- Saying Josh Allens crappy comp % is OK because he took more shots...

- Needing Julio Jones and Gronk 2.0 for Josh to be successful.

Just now, Mango said:

I am so confused. So far today Bills fans (not all you) are: 

- Blaming the OC for neutering Josh Allen. Playing the short and underneath routes rather than too his strengths

- Wind kept Josh from playing well

- Saying Josh Allens crappy comp % is OK because he took more shots...

- Needing Julio Jones and Gronk 2.0 for Josh to be successful.

Just pointing out that the GO Route is the lowest % Deep throw in Football.  And Josh has had issues with it this year and last.  Where he excelled with Foster near the end of last year was the 20-25 yard Digs, and those are not in our playbook it seems right now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Let him sling it. He has the talent to put a ball anywhere. But he needs to improve decision making. I think he second guesses himself.

Agreed.  We had a perfectly capable game manager in Tryhard.  I liked watching Allen the back half of last year more than now.  Yes yes I understand he's 'making better decisions' or whatever the current excuse making track is, the cold hard reality is nobody (meaning other teams D coordinators) is worried about him in this offense.  The worst he can do to you is run for a first down, but he's not going to attempt any throw more than 10 yards, which is exactly what we all got so frustrated about with Tryhard

1 minute ago, Returntoglory said:

That's my analogy of Josh Allen. He arguably has one of the biggest arms in the league, but he rarely throws the deep ball.

We need to spread the WR's out and let JA THROW THE BALL!

AMIRIGHT ??

He never completes a deep ball. There have been attempts. So no, UNOTRITE

7 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Don’t hold your breath. There were people who still believed EJ would emerge the year Rex took over.

You saw how it was with Tyrod. People argued he was better than he actually was right up until he was cut. Then reality set in and those same people now agree with all the “haters”.

Are you saying you see Allen and his progression as analogous to Taylor's?

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

So 16 games is enough then?

24 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

At what point do we all admit that Josh Allen simply isn’t good enough?

Are you willing to be intellectually consistent and make the same judgment call as to the can't miss prospects drafted ahead of Allen, in Darnold and Mayfield? "I see ghosts" Darnold's ongoing pick tracker notched another 3, to make 7 over his last 2 games for starters, going along nicely with 8 (not a typo), sacks taken yesterday alone...Mayfield's W-L record is the inverse of Josh's at 2-5, but hey, who's counting? Unless you are willing to call the entire 2018 QB draft class a bust at this point, minus Lamar who's playing lights out right now, then you are unfairly singling out Josh's coming of age roller coaster ride that we're on, and not taking into account all of the other variables in play, together with the aforementioned peer comparison points.      

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Just pointing out that the GO Route is the lowest % Deep throw in Football.  And Josh has had issues with it this year and last.  Where he excelled with Foster near the end of last year was the 20-25 yard Digs, and those are not in our playbook it seems right now.

I agree with you 100%.  

Because he can fire frozen ropes to this areas. 

Deep balls with air under them- he’s not apparently  mastered that yet.

BUT-

I content some of that has to do with the WRs too.  

JP used to seem like he threw the ball as far as he could and Lee Evans made all the magic happen...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Are you willing to be intellectually consistent and make the same judgment call as to the can't miss prospects drafted ahead of Allen, in Darnold and Mayfield? "I see ghosts" Darnold's ongoing pick tracker notched another 3, to make 7 over his last 2 games for starters, going along nicely with 8 (not a typo), sacks taken yesterday alone...Mayfield's W-L record is the inverse of Josh's at 2-5, but hey, who's counting? Unless you are willing to call the entire 2018 QB draft class a bust at this point, minus Lamar who's playing lights out right now, then you are unfairly singling out Josh's coming of age roller coaster ride that we're on, and not taking into account all of the other variables in play, together with the aforementioned peer comparison points.      

Lamar isn't playing lights out for the record, but your point is quite valid.

The reality, IMO, is that they're all good young QBs that are going through the growth curve right now.

Just now, Bangarang said:

Is that what I said? No.

What I’m saying is that for a lot of people, even if Allen is clearly not a good QB, they’ll never admit It until he’s actually gone.

It's definitely what you implied by responding to the post that you quoted

• Thank you (+1) 1

Me thinks I am.

How many do you see in a game?

Deep for our Offense I suppose(Sadly) is 20 yards.

He hasn't been anywhere close to the deep balls this year.  If he was missing by a little, it would be a different story.  He's missing wide open guys by yards, not inches, or feet.

• Like (+1) 1

Me thinks I am.

How many do you see in a game?

Deep for our Offense I suppose(Sadly) is 20 yards.

Only one deep ball was attempted yesterday, and I suspect it was limited to one because of the 40+mph winds. Every other game Josh has attempted multiple deep balls a game and has yet to complete one this year. He overthrows open receivers on almost every attempt. How many more times a game do you want to see a wasted down trying to stretch one downfield? 

sorry, the deep ball is not Allen’s strength right now. He is much more successful throwing intermediate routes to brown and beasley this year. That’s what he’s good at currently.

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

You are (inadvertently, perhaps) making a good point.  For all the hype of last year's QB class, not a one of them looks like Deshawn Watson did in his second year, just as a recent example.  Or certainly not Patrick Mahomes.  I'm going to withhold judgement for now but for all the happy talk of Allen having "The Best Game of His Career" against Miami, i'm just not seeing it, unless your measuring stick is "how well QB compares to Tyrod Taylor"