Let Josh be Josh?

oldmanfan

Just now, BillsRdue said:

This is my pet peeve too. WTF are they doing to him. Timid legs, thinking too much, conservative shots.  I want some run and gun. The kid has skills which shouldn't be put into a box.

Agreed.  And even if he's not a top 10 QB, let him play his game, and get the most out of what he is rather than a pale facsimile of what he will never be

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I don't know how much I put into such a stat, but in 2019 he was #1 in the league for the same metric...in 2019 he is #11, behind a lot of QBs of varying ability.

Reading their glossary on the stat, it's truly intended, not completed. So not connecting shouldn't have his average IAY down two yards.

Again, for whatever IAY is worth.

Averaging 11 yards intended per attempt (2018), is not a sustainable metric to hit. 

Allen is average-ish (and in decent company, tied with Rogers) in terms of average completion yards. But is one of the  worst in the league when it comes to air yards per attempt/air yards per reception differential. 

Just now, dorquemada said:

Agreed.  And even if he's not a top 10 QB, let him play his game, and get the most out of what he is rather than a pale facsimile of what he will never be

I don't need him to be Tom Brady. I need him to be him. I need Daboll to get his head out of his rectum.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Jackson has 11 passing TD on the year. 5 of those came in Miami, meaning he's averaging less than a td passing per game, since.

Your entire post was the joke, Wayne.

As if I’m the first to say it

Jackson is 5th among NFL QB’s in QBR (Allen is 25th).

13th in Adjusted Net Yards per Attempt (Allen is 25th). 15th in passer rating (Allen is a dreadful 27th).

And 9th in the NFL in rushing.

Sit down, kid, before you embarrass yourself further.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

As if I’m the first to say it

Jackson is 5th among NFL QB’s in QBR (Allen is 25th).

13th in Adjusted Net Yards per Attempt (Allen is 25th). 15th in passer rating (Allen is a dreadful 27th).

And 9th in the NFL in rushing.

Sit down, kid, before you embarrass yourself further.

Whatever, "kid." The RB is a RB. He's no MVP candidate at the QB position.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We drafted and traded up for him to not be a bottom 1/3 NFL passing team.  And that's where we are at.

I won't mind the turnovers if he does more good/positive plays.

He's compared to Farve a lot because of "gunslinger".  Yeah Farve made a lot of dumb decisions and threw a lot of INT's but you can live with that if they also make a lot of positive plays.  Right now there isn't enough good from Josh to overcome the bad.

The Favre comparisons never made any sense to me. Favre had an elite feel for the game. He made mistakes, but he also threw a hell of a lot of deep touchdowns. 

Josh isn't that. He's big, strong, and can run around, but his accuracy is simply way too hit and miss. His deep ball is quite frankly terrible and he misses open throws to the intermediate part of the field as well. 

At this stage, Josh is best doing what he's been doing, which is mostly dinking and dunking his way down the field, with the occasional big play when he escapes the pocket to his right, buys time and hits a receiver working back to him on the sideline. 

As I said, Josh isn't terrible, and we can probably win games with him and make the playoffs if the defense remains as good in future years, but this isn't a team that's built to have postseason success because the offense is just too much of a liability. 

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I don't need him to be Tom Brady. I need him to be him. I need Daboll to get his head out of his rectum.

Do you really think allowing Allen to throw the ball more will make the offense more successful?

1 hour ago, berg1029 said:

All of this "blame Daboll" stuff is laughable.  Has Dabolls play calling been perfect?  Not a chance.  But the real issue this past game was Josh's accuracy.  They weren't moving the chains like they have in the past, and a lot of that was on Josh just flat out missing throws.  He had the time.  Receivers were open.  But he just wasn't hitting them.  We know he can do better.  He just needs to execute.. that's all it comes down to imo 

Contrary to your take on this, I believe Daboll's game plan and play calling was a complete joke.  He apparently didn't realize that he was playing one of the worst secondaries in the league.  He continued to call running plays into a stacked box on first and second downs.  The Eagles have been killed with screens, seam routes, and throws to backs underneath deeper routes.  Daboll did almost none of this.  The Eagles gambled that Daboll would initially try to go run heavy on a windy day and he did exactly that.  When it became obvious that the Eagles were in clear pass rush mode, he did little to move the pocket or force them to cover the field from sideline to sideline.  There were some open receivers but the Eagles did a great job of bringing quick pressure up the middle to force Allen to move and destroy the timing of the play.  The Bills are also very predictable with the position groups they have on the field.  When he puts Lee Smith on the field with Gore, there is a very small probability that they will be passing and an even smaller probability that a throw will be going to either of them.  Good play callers break the tendencies, Daboll does little to do this.

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I think allowing him to use his mobility and improv ability is what makes sense, NOT what they're doing with him now.

They move him around a fair amount. Seems like there are a handful of role outs per game.

The improv has been hit and miss. He often throws the ball into harms way when improvising.

I see them trying to do the basics with him, and he's struggling. 

Asking him to do more, when he's already struggling with the simple stuff seems counter intuitive. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

They move him around a fair amount. Seems like there are a handful of role outs per game.

The improv has been hit and miss. He often throws the ball into harms way when improvising.

I see them trying to do the basics with him, and he's struggling. 

Asking him to do more, when he's already struggling with the simple stuff seems counter intuitive. 

You realize he's league tops in the short stuff?

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

Damn. Someone get this boy a medic. 

giphy.gif

?

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I nee to go back and watch some of the earlier games where he came on in the fourth quarters, what plays were called, etc.  Seems to me he's much more decisive in those cases.

Yeah, he's a gamer, I think. Might not always be pretty but when they need it, he seems to come through. Didn't happen yesterday but he's not solely responsible for the loss.

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

Averaging 11 yards intended per attempt (2018), is not a sustainable metric to hit. 

Allen is average-ish (and in decent company, tied with Rogers) in terms of average completion yards. But is one of the  worst in the league when it comes to air yards per attempt/air yards per reception differential. 

Whether it is or isn't, you made the issue out as if it wasn't that we weren't TRYING, but that we weren't CONNECTING.

"The issue isn't that we aren't trying. The issue is we aren't connecting on them. "

Yet the stat you cited isn't based on the passes being caught.

"IAY shows the average Air Yards a passer throws on all attempts. This metric shows how far the ball is being thrown ‘downfield’. "

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/glossary

So the average being down 2 yards means just what it says...he's not throwing as far in the air on average, and that's not related to "connecting".  We're not trying to go downfield as much, on average. I don't even know if that stat is a great measure of downfield play, being an average, but hey, I didn't bring it up. If that wasn't a sustainable # in your mind, that's fine. But that wasn't my point. Just that the stat didn't actually back up what you said.

You want to keep bringing up other stats I'm happy to look at them but I'll have to make sure I know what they mean first.

Throwing the ball away like he is doing is GOOD, but seems so unnatural to him. But he has to keep doing it. Scrambles? Hell yes. Designed runs up the middle? Please no. 

For the rest, I concur that he needs to be let loose. He'll make many dumb mistakes but many great plays. He needs swagger to have fun and play better, that's his style.

13 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Contrary to your take on this, I believe Daboll's game plan and play calling was a complete joke.  He apparently didn't realize that he was playing one of the worst secondaries in the league.  He continued to call running plays into a stacked box on first and second downs.  The Eagles have been killed with screens, seam routes, and throws to backs underneath deeper routes.  Daboll did almost none of this.  The Eagles gambled that Daboll would initially try to go run heavy on a windy day and he did exactly that.  When it became obvious that the Eagles were in clear pass rush mode, he did little to move the pocket or force them to cover the field from sideline to sideline.  There were some open receivers but the Eagles did a great job of bringing quick pressure up the middle to force Allen to move and destroy the timing of the play.  The Bills are also very predictable with the position groups they have on the field.  When he puts Lee Smith on the field with Gore, there is a very small probability that they will be passing and an even smaller probability that a throw will be going to either of them.  Good play callers break the tendencies, Daboll does little to do this.

Daboll has had some great game plans. Yesterday was most certainly not one of them.

As I've said: Allen isn't ready to carry the offense without a very strong group of playmakers around him. If Goff and Mahomes can't do it, why do we expect Allen to handle it? Further, we especially shouldn't expect it in a timing-based offense built around precision execution from a group of below-average pass catchers.

If this team wants to win games this year, they're going to have to make a concerted effort to get Josh in a rhythm early to loosen teams up, then work the run and PA attack. It's the only way to both take advantage of Josh's efficient intermediate game and overcome their lack of playmaking talent in the passing game.

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the offense meeting room.  I really wonder what goes on between the coaches and Josh Allen.  I'd love to know if, for example, they are asking him what plays he likes in the game plan, what plays he wants thrown out.  I'd love to know how much freedom he has in terms of checking to audibles. 

I say let Josh be Josh.  Give him the keys to the car and let him drive.   Give him freedom to change plays at the line of scrimmage and so on.  If you look at his fourth quarter heroics (before yesterday, which just stunk across the board), Josh has done well.  When you do well in the fourth quarter it tells me the QB can make good decisions and good plays, make good reads and throws.  Some have commented that he looks tentative the last couple games, and I agree.  Let him play football.

I hope to God he asks Daboll to remove the designed QB runs or whatever the play is called that Allen fumbled on yesterday. I've seen enough of that play