Let Josh be Josh?

oldmanfan

All of this "blame Daboll" stuff is laughable.  Has Dabolls play calling been perfect?  Not a chance.  But the real issue this past game was Josh's accuracy.  They weren't moving the chains like they have in the past, and a lot of that was on Josh just flat out missing throws.  He had the time.  Receivers were open.  But he just wasn't hitting them.  We know he can do better.  He just needs to execute.. that's all it comes down to imo 

Just now, berg1029 said:

All of this "blame Daboll" stuff is laughable.  Has Dabolls play calling been perfect?  Not a chance.  But the real issue this past game was Josh's accuracy.  They weren't moving the chains like they have in the past, and a lot of that was on Josh just flat out missing throws.  He had the time.  Receivers were open.  But he just wasn't hitting them.  We know he can do better.  He just needs to execute.. that's all it comes down to imo 

Lets see does that have to do with the 40MPH Winds?

22 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Why are we assuming that he already doesn’t? As far as I know and from what both Daboll and Allen have said, he has the freedom to set protections and change plays at the line based on what the defense is showing.

Im all for being pass happy though. Let the kid sling the rock. If he ends up doing great then we hit the jackpot. If he ends being more of he same or worse then we’ll know what we have.

This. I still have all the confidence in the world that we have a special talent at QB right now, but I wonder if all the emphasis on the short game over the offseason to the exclusion of all else for his game, has been a factor in why it's been so difficult to mirror the long balls from back half of last year. 

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

This. I still have all the confidence in the world that we have a special talent at QB right now, but I wonder if all the emphasis on the short game over the offseason to the exclusion of all else for his game, has been a factor in why it's been so difficult to mirror the long balls from back half of last year. 

We took the Route Concept he was hitting on "long balls" out of the game-plan.  We dont have that deep dig that we ran last year.  Essentially every deep ball is a "Go" Route which is a low percentage pass to begin with.

Just now, Mango said:

Carson Wentz completed 70% of his passes on the same day...

Did you watch the game?  Or just look at stats, because most of his Balls where screens and short throws.  (ie Winds not effecting as much)

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Why was Carson Wentz so efficient?  It's not like Allen was just chucking it up into the wind.  He throws a tight spiral and keeps it low for the most part.  Blaming it on the wind is copping out

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

But look at pretty much every game before that when Josh attempted > 20 yard passes; they ended up 5+ beyond the intended receiver, without fail.  I saw (last week, I believe) an article where Daboll or McD said something to the effect of we're working on Josh's accuracy, it's not where it needs to be.  So it would seem the coaches know accuracy is an issue on the longer throws.  

I think Josh will get there, at least right now there are bigger problems than Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, berg1029 said:

Why was Carson Wentz so efficient?  It's not like Allen was just chucking it up into the wind.  He throws a tight spiral and keeps it low for the most part.  Blaming it on the wind is copping out

Again How many Screens did Philly run?  

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

But look at pretty much every game before that when Josh attempted > 20 yard passes; they ended up 5+ beyond the intended receiver, without fail.  I saw (last week, I believe) an article where Daboll or McD said something to the effect of we're working on Josh's accuracy, it's not where it needs to be.  So it would seem the coaches know accuracy is an issue on the longer throws.  

I think Josh will get there, at least right now there are bigger problems than Josh.

You mean when he has consistently over 60%?

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Again How many Screens did Philly run?  

You mean when he has consistently over 60%?

You bring up screens/short passes and Carson Wentz.  So that doesn't apply to Josh Allen as well?  I think that has something to do with it, like you mentioned in this thread.

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

You bring up screens/short passes and Carson Wentz.  So that doesn't apply to Josh Allen as well?  I think that has something to do with it, like you mentioned in this thread.

For the record 13 of Wentz's 17 completions where inside 5 yards from the LOS.  Now I will go chart Allens Attempts

5 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

when 13 of 17 completions are all inside 5 yards of the LOS it isnt a cop out it is a Team that understands the conditions they are playing in

I think folks need to confront the idea that this season was not about going all-in to develop Josh even if it meant losing winnable games.

It was (and is) about fielding the most competitive team possible while using the proverbial clubs in Josh's golf bag to score enough points to win games, hoping all the while that Josh would develop along the way.

Carson Wentz intended Air Yards Per Completion 4.8

Completed Air Yards 3.7

Josh Allen intended Air Yards per Completion 8.9

Completed Air Yards 5.4

So tell me that 40MPH winds were not a issue with Allens Ball placement.  So seems Eagles had a Better Game Plan in terms of throwing the ball for the Weather Conditions Sunday

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2019/8#average-intended-yards

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1