Let Josh be Josh?

oldmanfan

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the offense meeting room.  I really wonder what goes on between the coaches and Josh Allen.  I'd love to know if, for example, they are asking him what plays he likes in the game plan, what plays he wants thrown out.  I'd love to know how much freedom he has in terms of checking to audibles. 

I say let Josh be Josh.  Give him the keys to the car and let him drive.   Give him freedom to change plays at the line of scrimmage and so on.  If you look at his fourth quarter heroics (before yesterday, which just stunk across the board), Josh has done well.  When you do well in the fourth quarter it tells me the QB can make good decisions and good plays, make good reads and throws.  Some have commented that he looks tentative the last couple games, and I agree.  Let him play football.

• Like (+1) 13

He is Being Coached into a Game Manager.  Who would have thought that would happen from an Ultra Conservative Defensive minded HC.

You traded up to 7th overall to get him, to what coach into him to be a Game Manager?

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 5

Just now, Seasons1992 said:

Well, I see it both ways............we hate his gunslinger throws that get picked, but we hate the Tryhard Taylor approach also. Gonna be an interesting rest of the season!

People Shouldnt.  QBs throw Picks.  That happens.  Well if they are taking the shots.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GG said:

You also run a much higher chance of ending his season or career.  There's a reason to the madness of keeping him on a leash.

I'm not necessarily talking about running, although it works for Jackson.  I'm talking about game management, play calls, etc.  I see a kid that in the fourth quarter has been very effective throwing the ball.  And I see no reason why that can't translate to the entire game, if they would just loosen the reins.

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

What makes you think he is capable of that? The fact he has trouble versus the blitz tells me he is not the guy ready to be calling his own plays etc. 

How he has played in the fourth quarter of games tells me that.  He'll screw up some calls, sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I'm not necessarily talking about running, although it works for Jackson.  I'm talking about game management, play calls, etc.  I see a kid that in the fourth quarter has been very effective throwing the ball.  And I see no reason why that can't translate to the entire game, if they would just loosen the reins.

The two go hand in hand.  If you loosen the grip, his bad habits come back because he's still not a good passer and consistently bails to the run when he's panicked.  

Everybody knew that he would be a long term project if he is to be successful.  Now, half that crowd wants to abandon the development because they don't like the growing pains.

• Like (+1) 2

I see a young quarterback that isn’t 100% in trusting his reads and is hesitant at times for fear of the turnover

he is still young and learning some patience and growing pains w a young quarterback that in today’s nfl seem to be non existent anymore

Edited by ILBillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Why are we assuming that he already doesn’t? As far as I know and from what both Daboll and Allen have said, he has the freedom to set protections and change plays at the line based on what the defense is showing.

Im all for being pass happy though. Let the kid sling the rock. If he ends up doing great then we hit the jackpot. If he ends being more of he same or worse then we’ll know what we have.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, GG said:

The two go hand in hand.  If you loosen the grip, his bad habits come back because he's still not a good passer and consistently bails to the run when he's panicked.  

Everybody knew that he would be a long term project if he is to be successful.  Now, half that crowd wants to abandon the development because they don't like the growing pains.

I think his growth would be enhanced by loosening the reins, but I see your point.

There has to be a middle ground in a sense. I'm glad he is learning not to make the terrible INT throws, but at the same time you have to let him be himself on the field. Daboll IS the problem. No innovation, no situational game awareness, no in game adjustments, and he is overcomplicating things for everyone. Josh is going to throw an INT here or there, so did Favre. At the same time you have to let him do what he does best. In the last 3 games he has 6 TD's to 1 INT, but everyone wants to harp on the fumbles now. It's like the article said, the guy can't win for losing with the fans and the media. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's like they beat the longball out of him, then told him IF he ever went long, that he better go LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG.

I'll take the occasional 40 yard long "punt" INT over the turnover in the pocket. I'll also take the gamble on him running and getting hurt.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, H2o said:

There has to be a middle ground in a sense. I'm glad he is learning not to make the terrible INT throws, but at the same time you have to let him be himself on the field. Daboll IS the problem. No innovation, no situational game awareness, no in game adjustments, and he is overcomplicating things for everyone. Josh is going to throw an INT here or there, so did Favre. At the same time you have to let him do what he does best. In the last 3 games he has 6 TD's to 1 INT, but everyone wants to harp on the fumbles now. It's like the article said, the guy can't win for losing with the fans and the media. 

Just look at the Primary Reads.  Most Route concepts a QB Reads go from TD to First Down to Checkdown.

Daboll seems to have the reads designed to safe throw is the primary read.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Just look at the Primary Reads.  Most Route concepts a QB Reads go from TD to First Down to Checkdown.

Daboll seems to have the reads designed to safe throw is the primary read.

And the Eagles were sitting on it all day, even though Josh was having a solid game until the Eagles started pinning their ears back as the lead grew. 

Lot's of threads going on with similar subject matter about Josh.   As i said in another post. the coaches may now have to allow Josh to play more of his style of game...which is the opposite of the Robotic pocket passer guy they are forcing him to be.   I've just about had enough with the chucking it out of bounds or at the Linemen's feet and wasting downs..  He needs to take off and run, make a play.  He's a huge weapon.   He doesn't have to hurdle guys,..  slide or go out of bounds.. manage the risk as best he can.  He's also pretty good at throwing on the run when he scrambles.  No one wants to see interceptions..but it happens.  That's why teams want to see a 2:1 TD to INT ratio.  

We have seen that movie before. It is weird how quickly we forget

It comes out to about: 
- 175 passing yards per game

- More INT's than TD's (not a lot of TD's)

- The second worst scoring offense in the NFL 

- 52% completion

- 30% on 3rd down

- 5 wins to 7 losses