TBN: Bills Run Defense Flunks Test

(may be paywall)

Jay Skurski grades Bills vs Eagles:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/10/27/buffalo-bills-nfl-philadelphia-eagles-report-card/

Key points:

RUN DEFENSE: F

Simply put, the Bills got worked on the ground. Philadelphia piled up 218 rushing yards on 41 carries – an average of 5.3 yards per rush. “I think it was one of our best run days we’ve had in a long time, so I’m certainly proud of that,” Eagles offensive tackle Lane Johnson said. That’s never something you want to hear coming from the visitors’ locker room. Again, this was a day in which it was clear both teams would be focused on the running game, so that’s a huge disappointment for the Bills. The Eagles’ offensive line dominated the line of scrimmage, particularly in the second half when they piled up a whopping 156 yards. Philadelphia had five runs of at least 13 yards.

And that's kind.  They nicked us for 65 yards on one play. 

PASS DEFENSE: C+

The Bills weren’t prepared for the Eagles’ screen game. Running backs Mile Sanders and Jordan Howard combined for four catches for 59 yards. They had miles of running room after making their catches.

RUNNING GAME: D

Quarterback Josh Allen was the team’s leading rusher. That’s not a good thing. Allen gained 45 yards on eight carries, with a long gain of 14 yards. He lost a crucial fumble on a designed run in the second quarter. A lot of that production came on scrambles. Veteran Frank Gore was held to 34 yards on nine carries. Gore had three carries in the first half that went for no gain....... The most disappointing example of that came on the team’s second drive, when Gore was stopped for no gain on third-and-1

Also points out that Devin Singletary got just three attempts

Oddly enough, in contrast to some here, the media doesn't seem to feel this loss was all about the offense, though certainly they played their role.  Go figgur.

• Like (+1) 1

So, not a good effort offensively or defensively.

We've played two decent teams this season and ended up on the losing end of each.  Based on our remaining schedule we'll win 10-11 games and get punched in the mouth in the playoffs.  I am very concerned in Daboll's ability to call a game.  We shouldn't see fits of brilliance surrounded by so much WTF. I blame this on Daboll.  I don't see that he has a feel for the game in reality. His concepts may be great, but they don't show on Sundays. This is THE moment. QB on his rookie contract and 18 PPG with this schedule is embarrassing.

McD's defense getting taken to the woodshed may be an aberration. Eighteen PPG is a trend.

In this day of fans believing the NFL is all about passing and wanting to see 41-38 games where QBs throw for 300-400 yards, it is funny how many games still come down to teams being able to run and stop the run - particularly in conditions like yesterday.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

Its interesting isn't it how establishing a dominant run game as well as stopping the run still generates wins

Eagles have a dominant offensive line.   It is how they got to the superbowl a couple years back and won with a QB like Foles.    They don't get the credit they deserve.

If the Bills had the Eagles offensive line, I suspect the score would have flipped the other way.

2 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

So, not a good effort offensively or defensively.

We've played two decent teams this season and ended up on the losing end of each.  Based on our remaining schedule we'll win 10-11 games and get punched in the mouth in the playoffs.  I am very concerned in Daboll's ability to call a game.  We shouldn't see fits of brilliance surrounded by so much WTF. I blame this on Daboll.  I don't see that he has a feel for the game in reality. His concepts may be great, but they don't show on Sundays. This is THE moment. QB on his rookie contract and 18 PPG with this schedule is embarrassing.

McD's defense getting taken to the woodshed may be an aberration. Eighteen PPG is a trend.

I don't think there's any aberration about "inside zone left" taking our run D to the woodshed for a total of 209 yards yesterday.  We couldn't stop it, and now we're gonna see it from every team capable of executing until we prove that we can.

Look at it this way: in the last 20 years, nine teams have taken their best shot at the Patriots*** in the Superbowl.  Only two coaches have out-coached Bill Belicheck****

One is Tom Coughlin (x2)

The other is Doug Pederson.  And he did it with his second-string quarterback.

The Eagles may be a better team than their 4-4 record suggests.  They may not be a better team than their 4-4 record suggests.  Time will tell.

But if there's a coach who can identify a systematic flaw and figure out how to exploit it like a pile driver, that guy would be Doug Pederson.

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think there's any aberration about "inside zone left" taking our run D to the woodshed for a total of 209 yards yesterday.  We couldn't stop it, and now we're gonna see it from every team capable of executing until we prove that we can.

Look at it this way: in the last 20 years, nine teams have taken their best shot at the Patriots*** in the Superbowl.  Only two coaches have out-coached Bill Belicheck****

One is Tom Coughlin (x2)

The other is Doug Pederson.  And he did it with his second-string quarterback.

The Eagles may be a better team than their 4-4 record suggests.  They may not be a better team than their 4-4 record suggests.  Time will tell.

But if there's a coach who can identify a systematic flaw and figure out how to exploit it like a pile driver, that guy would be Doug Pederson.

They are better than their record suggests, they were desperate and they punched a bully in the mouth. The bully folded faster than Sonny Liston.  When the Eagles defense primped and posed in OUR end zone I said to myself "they're going to be sorry they did that!"  Instead they caved.

Your point about Pederson is spot on. Coaches need to figure out ways to exploit weaknesses. Daboll can't get out of his own way.