15 win teams aren't built overnight

wagon127

2 hours ago, Jobot said:

Agreed.  Although my confidence in the run-D is shaken after yesterday's loss.  That would be an Achilles heel for a team with a sub-par offense if it doesn't get corrected.

Gap control in a 4-3 from the LB’s is huge.  Milano got run over a few times and Edmunds just doesnt get his pads low to really stuff someone. Teams are exposing this weakness.

2nd quarter - Eagles ran the stretch play at will. Linemen had there way chipping our D linemen. It was hard to watch.

We haven’t created a lot of turnovers this year and we are turning the ball over more than taking it away.

Special teams is again pure garbage.

On to the Skins- lets hope for some corrections and get the W.

6-2 will not look to bad at the half way point!

Go Bills

We are doing more with less than just about any other team in the league.  We are probably two years away from being a legit contender (maybe 1 year if Josh shows a ton of growth in the next 12 months), and I'm fine with that.  Overall, I like our trajectory and I trust our coach and GM for the first time in forever.

Also, the 1988-1992 Bills all had a game or two (or three) where they absolutely got their teeth kicked in.  Outside of historically dominant teams, it's pretty normal for good teams to experience a day or two like yesterday.

Edited by TheBrownBear

2 hours ago, wagon127 said:

I'm not suggesting it would take 4 or 5 years to become an 11 win team. I'm talking about 13, 14, or 15 win teams. I think this Bills team can win 10 or 11 games this year.

The Bills will never be a 13-15 win team under McDermott and Beane because they are not built to compete with the superpowers of the NFL.  Their model of relying on the defense to hold the oppositon to fewer than 3 TDs a game isn't realistic when the rules favor offense.   Jeez maree -- KC can score 3+ TDs with a backup QB who wasn't even in  the league last season;  Carolina has gone 4-1 with a backup QB in his second season (who was an UDFA I think);  and NO lost their future HOF QB for 5 weeks and STILL went undefeated during that span.  Teams like the Saints and Chiefs have backups on offense who are considerably better than ANY offensive starter the Bills have.  Teams like San Francisco and New England have backups on defense who could easily put a number of the Bills starters on the bench. 

More importantly, though, I think that McDermott is a HC who values talent less than scheme and "culture" while Beane puts the bottom line before winning.  He wouldn't have been hired unless he shared Russ Brandon's philosophy on "money ball".   So many of the moves that the Bills made in 2017 and 2018 were done to save on actual salary expense without regard to how it impacted the team on the field, including the huge amount of "dead cap" space it created against the salary cap.  So far in the McDermott/Beane regime, talent has been sacrificed for $$$ and for "culture" --- and it's impacted the offense far more than the defense because lack of talent can't be hidden by schemes on the offensive side of the ball.

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Whether we win 10 games or 15 games, I want sustained success. You don’t have that with a bottom tier offense. McD has proven he can build a good defense. It’s his offense that has been the problem every year and I question whether he knows how to fix it.

I have said in the past and I'll say it again: the Bills have treated the offense like a redheaded stepchild.   They spent a fortune in talent and draft capital on a first round QB prospect to whom they gave no support as a rookie because they didn't have an NFL caliber OL or receiving corps.  Even today, those units are functional but still below average, and the lack of a solid run game makes things harder for Allen than maybe they should be.   Hell, last season, they didn't even bother to hire an experienced QB coach to help Allen; their QB coach last season had one year of professional experience as a QB coach back in the 1980s at some small college program.

1 hour ago, Rocket94 said:

One of the big problems that Beane encountered was reshaping this roster. So many changes had to be made...high turnover with so many good players needed. 

"So many changes had to be made" is a false narrative.  It was McDermott and Beane's choice to gut the team instead of building on what they had, especially on the offensive side of the ball.  Too many of the players that they didn't think were "good enough" have gone on to play well on other teams throughout the league, and too many of their own choices haven't played up to expectations when they were signed/traded for or drafted.

47 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

We are doing more with less than just about any other team in the league.  We are probably two years away from being a legit contender (maybe 1 year if Josh shows a ton of growth in the next 12 months), and I'm fine with that.  Overall, I like our trajectory and I trust our coach and GM for the first time in forever.

Also, the 1988-1992 Bills all had a game or two (or three) where they absolutely got their teeth kicked in.  Outside of historically dominant teams, it's pretty normal for good teams to experience a day or two like yesterday.

1. Doing more with less - Not sure that is true. Even if it was this is year 3 so whose fault is that? 

2. Day or two like yesterday? Under McD there have been way too many. They have 10 losses by more than 14 points in his 39 games. That is more than 1 in 4 are blowouts. Comparison - Rex had 1 in 31 games...Marrone had 3 in his 32 games. 

Edited by ngbills

15 win teams aren't built period. Not even the Pats, the greatest team of all time, does that. They've won 15 or more games only once since 2000 (when they won all their games in 2007).

They are usually in the 11 to 13 win range.