What if... Jim Schwartz have become our HC instead of Rex

I still can't forget how dominant Bills defence under Schwartz was! When Marrone opted to quit I was sure Schwarz will be offered HC job.

When Pegula invited Wrex I told from the 1st day it's a huge huge mistake. Don't fix what is not broken. Stupid loudmouth Rex ruined top defence. We needed offensive mind. Frank Reich was also in discussion. Finally OC Reich and DC Schwarz won SB in Philly.  I have a big respect for both.

Just thought again watching Schwarz yesterday on opponent's side.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Artem Lipatov said:

I still can't forget how dominant Bills defence under Schwartz was! When Marrone opted to quit I was sure Schwarz will be offered HC job.

When Pegula invited Wrex I told from the 1st day it's a huge huge mistake. Don't fix what is not broken. Stupid loudmouth Rex ruined top defence. We needed offensive mind. Frank Reich was also in discussion. Finally OC Reich and DC Schwarz won SB in Philly.  I have a big respect for both.

You might have forgotten how Schwartz was a complete dumpster fire of a head coach with Detroit.

Hiring Rex was a horrible mistake... and most of us knew it immediately ...but hiring Schwartz as HC would have probably been equally bad.

There's a reason he hasn't found another head coaching job despite his success as a DC. Does that remind you of anyone?

Just now, Rigotz said:

You might have forgotten how Schwartz was a complete dumpster fire of a head coach with Detroit.

Hiring Rex was a horrible mistake... and most of us knew it immediately ...but hiring Schwartz as HC would have probably been equally bad.

There's a reason he hasn't found another head coaching job despite his success as a DC. Does that remind you of anyone?

Good coordinators do not always make good coaches.  People don't get there is a whole other level of decision making that happens as a head coach that is far more CEO-like than football related.  Just because you can coach up X's and O's great doesn't mean you can make CEO-like decisions great.

1 minute ago, Rigotz said:

He had bad experience. He could make conclusions from it and become stronger.

1st Billichick's HC exerpience in Cleveland was not succes either.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't see that Schwartz is necessarily good HC material.  He is obviously a very competent DC.  But if you remember his days in Detroit as a HC,  he had some talented teams that underperformed  in part due to a glaring lack of discipline.     If a HC can't maintain something as basic as that,  I don't want him

31 minutes ago, Artem Lipatov said:

There is a solid chance we will be 8-3 by the time thanksgiving gets here. Stop panicking and reanalyzing decisions this team made 5 years ago......

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Good coordinators do not always make good coaches.  People don't get there is a whole other level of decision making that happens as a head coach that is far more CEO-like than football related.  Just because you can coach up X's and O's great doesn't mean you can make CEO-like decisions great.

This. Being a head coach is more about being a leader and motivator than schemes and plays. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Not sure if he would have been a good coach but I would have loved to have hired someone who would have allowed him to continue to run the D his way.

As for being a HC, his record with Detroit was 29-52 but Belichick's record with Cleveland was 36-44.  Better, but not by a whole lot.  When you take into consideration that Schwartz took a team from 0-16 to the playoffs in 3 years, I'd say not as bad a HC tenure as most make it out to be.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

That's often the problem in itself in that the X's and O's are the fun part so even when made HC you still try to become too involved with that part of job.

2 hours ago, Artem Lipatov said:

They had plenty of issues against the run and giving up big plays at times.